CA CA - UP8366 WhtMale, 55-65 died in fire possibly “Laugtz” or “Seattery”, Parker Dam, 3 Feb 1936

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Any123

Reaction score
Unidentified Person Case

John Doe #01-1936 was one of seven men who perished in a dormitory fire early on the morning of February 3, 1936, at Parker Dam. This man had arrived in Parker on Saturday, February 1st. He reportedly had traveled by bus from Riverside, CA, to Blythe, and then to Parker. He was attempting to get bus passage to Las Vegas. He carried a suitcase with various items for sale (pills, bottle openers, razor blades) and may have been a traveling salesman. He was described as being a White male, about 60 years of age, approximately 6 feet in height and 180 lbs. He had false teeth and wore glasses (which he wore on the tip of his nose). He had a broad face, talked and walked slowly. He may have given his name as "W.C. Laugtz"  (same document notes : "A.A. Seattery") and stated he last lived in Denver, Colorado. He claimed that he wrote articles about his travels, which were published in the Salt Lake Tribune, Salt Lake City (denied by city editor). He also claimed to have been a Railroad Station Agent (Boston-Main Railroad, 1929?) at one time in North Hampton, Massachusetts. He stated that he was a member of the Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen. No photographs, fingerprints, or dental records were obtained. This department is considering exhuming the body to attempt DNA.

It's nice that they're considering exhuming the body for DNA even though it's such an old case. Most LE probably wouldn't even think about trying to solve a case from the 1930s. If he had any children they've likely passed on by now, but there might be grandchildren or nieces/nephews, or other family members who are still wondering what happened to him. If he was around 60 in 1936 he was likely born in the mid to late 1870s.

On my usual start-out sites, nothing for W.C. Laugtz or A.A. Seattery, and nothing likely from either surname alone.

Laugtz is a German surname (could be Lutz or Lotz of course,) while Seattery ( which could be Slattery) is Irish/British Isles.

There are people with the surname Slattery in Denver in the 1920's.

There is a Denver household in the 1900 Federal census that includes several servants, one is Mary A. Slattery, born in Pennslyvania to Irish parents in 1866, and 2 men who I presume to be cousins: gardener John Lougher, born 1869 in Ireland, and coachman James Lougher, born 1869 in New York to Irish parents.

Lougher is a Scot surname.

NO idea if there is a connection between the deceased & these enumerated people, of course.

I expect he was on the road for some reason. If indeed he published accounts of his travels, that seems to be under another name. Maybe he was some kind of huckster?

JMHO YMMV LRR

I found this man, Otto DeHoog, who evidently disappeared from Los Angeles on June 29, 1935. Otto and his son went to a grocery store in order to cash a check. He split the check with his son and told him he was going to town to pay some bills. That was the last his family saw of him. They had him declared legally dead in 1942.

From what I can gather from various records, he would have been 55 years old at the time, about 5’11” and at one point worked as a railroad motorman in Missouri. I can’t figure out why he would have left his wife of 36 years or their 10 children, and what he was doing during those 7 months.

I found this man, Otto DeHoog, who evidently disappeared from Los Angeles on June 29, 1935. Otto and his son went to a grocery store in order to cash a check. He split the check with his son and told him he was going to town to pay some bills. That was the last his family saw of him. They had him declared legally dead in 1942.

From what I can gather from various records, he would have been 55 years old at the time, about 5’11” and at one point worked as a railroad motorman in Missouri. I can’t figure out why he would have left his wife of 36 years or their 10 children, and what he was doing during those 7 months.
With 10 children and a wife during the heart of the Depression, he may have been struggling. Perhaps the situation was too much for him, and he just walked away.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne
Back