CA, Winek, Mark 69, Sharie 65, Brooke 38--deceased, teen kidnapped, Riverside 11/25/22

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Not a link, but just heard on a local news update here on the radio, "the causes of death remain under investigation."

What?! How could that be? Can they not figure out how he quickly murdered three adults? How long was he in the house? It's reasonable to think the killings were violent. What gives??

No details have been released about this entire point. Odd, in my opinion. The killer is dead. No need to withhold anything.
Are they burned maybe?

More information from the neighbors and former employer in this article.

About 10 days before he arrived in Riverside, Edwards was hired as a deputy for the Washington County Sheriff’s Office in Virginia, officials said. Before that, he was an officer with the Virginia State Police.

“It is shocking and sad to the entire law enforcement community that such an evil and wicked person could infiltrate law enforcement while concealing his true identity as a computer predator and murderer,” Washington County Sheriff Blake Andis said in a statement. “Our thoughts and prayers are with the Winek family, their friends, officers and all of those affected by this heinous crime.”

Andis and a spokesperson for the Virginia State Police said none of Edwards’ prior employers had disclosed issues with him. Corinne Geller, the state police spokesperson, said that during Edwards’ 15-month tenure at the agency, he “never exhibited any behaviors to trigger any internal administrative or criminal investigations.” During his background and psychological tests, there weren’t “any indicators of concern,” she said.

Sergio Gutierrez, 58, said his son told him to hurry and come home when the Wineks’ home began to burn, worried that flames would move to other houses. Gutierrez, who lives three houses down, said he came home to find that police had cordoned off the area. From a second-story window, he saw emergency personnel bring into the yard three bodies that had their hands tied behind their backs with what appeared to be duct tape.

Not a link, but just heard on a local news update here on the radio, "the causes of death remain under investigation."

What?! How could that be? Can they not figure out how he quickly murdered three adults? How long was he in the house? It's reasonable to think the killings were violent. What gives??

No details have been released about this entire point. Odd, in my opinion. The killer is dead. No need to withhold anything.
He was able to duct tape 3 adults. And we know he had a firearm or two and was trained to use them. So I am pretty sure he used a gun to subdue them. I don't know how he killed them though. :(

More information from the neighbors and former employer in this article.

About 10 days before he arrived in Riverside, Edwards was hired as a deputy for the Washington County Sheriff’s Office in Virginia, officials said. Before that, he was an officer with the Virginia State Police.

“It is shocking and sad to the entire law enforcement community that such an evil and wicked person could infiltrate law enforcement while concealing his true identity as a computer predator and murderer,” Washington County Sheriff Blake Andis said in a statement. “Our thoughts and prayers are with the Winek family, their friends, officers and all of those affected by this heinous crime.”

Andis and a spokesperson for the Virginia State Police said none of Edwards’ prior employers had disclosed issues with him. Corinne Geller, the state police spokesperson, said that during Edwards’ 15-month tenure at the agency, he “never exhibited any behaviors to trigger any internal administrative or criminal investigations.” During his background and psychological tests, there weren’t “any indicators of concern,” she said.

Sergio Gutierrez, 58, said his son told him to hurry and come home when the Wineks’ home began to burn, worried that flames would move to other houses. Gutierrez, who lives three houses down, said he came home to find that police had cordoned off the area. From a second-story window, he saw emergency personnel bring into the yard three bodies that had their hands tied behind their backs with what appeared to be duct tape.
This article makes me so sad. :(

I imagine your question is rhetorical ... it's all just so unthinkable.

They were killed IMO because they stood in his way. Literally, figuratively.... bit it's even worse than that IMO. Master mind game.

If he knows she knows she has no family to return to...

If he knows she knows what violence he's capable of.....

Designed for maximum control.

Insidious.

Evil beyond evil.

That neighbor is a hero. I'm certain that her call -- the observing, the documenting, the reporting -- saved that child's life.

He was never going to let her go.

JMO

I‘m just catching up, just thinking about all the damage this a$$hole did to this poor girl, for the rest of her life. I mean, there is no end to the evil he brought to her & her family.

He is so creepy in every way…I shudder when I look at his photo.

Just got back from work, and wondering if the causes of death were released yet?

I would like to know the timeline. Were they killed in the fire, or beforehand? And how does a single person, even holding a gun, duct tape three grown adults behind their backs, one at a time, and there's no resistance??
So many questions, or maybe I just haven't kept up with the news very well.

Just got back from work, and wondering if the causes of death were released yet?

I would like to know the timeline. Were they killed in the fire, or beforehand? And how does a single person, even holding a gun, duct tape three grown adults behind their backs, one at a time, and there's no resistance??
So many questions, or maybe I just haven't kept up with the news very well.
Hold the gun on the child, and have each adult duct tape another adult, til he's down to only one adult and he can duct tape only one, himself.

I think this is very important to note:
  • At some point, Edwards asked the girl for sexual photos and she stopped communicating with him
  • Cops said it's unclear whether she had met him in person before and if she knew he was traveling to California, but said she was not complicit in the murders
The girl is now receiving trauma counseling and police said they don't believe she was involved with the murders.

Gutierrez said a few weeks earlier he had spotted a red Kia Soul parked on the street near the home, and believes the predator may have been surveilling his victims before pouncing.

'It was a couple of weeks or a month ago I saw the red car,' he said. 'It looked suspicious, I think it might have been him.'

She is still with CPS in protective custody because of the trauma this caused. This poor girl will need help for a long time! I can't imagine what she witnessed.

Last edited:
She lost her mom and her grandparents. Three of the people she needs so badly right now. It is just heart breaking. :(

I hope she has some very supportive surviving relatives because she is going to need a lot of support for years.

I really hope we'll hear soon regarding the causes of death of the three victims. It seems to be taking a long time. JMO. Sorry, but things like this bother me.

In searching the web about this question, it's total silence. Nothing, other than that the coroner is conducting autopsies. I don't see how it could take so long. That's just me...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megan_peterson253
Back