CA - Xuanyi Yu, Santa Clara, Murdered, January 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I haven't seen anything on the news yet regarding today's scheduled plea hearing for Liren Chen in Santa Clara County Superior Court. I checked the case number and link online, but the Court's website is down. Will check again later, and by Monday (if not sooner) it should be updated. And maybe some news outlet will report on the hearing and the plea entered, if it actually took place today as scheduled.

I haven't seen anything on the news yet regarding today's scheduled plea hearing for Liren Chen in Santa Clara County Superior Court. I checked the case number and link online, but the Court's website is down. Will check again later, and by Monday (if not sooner) it should be updated. And maybe some news outlet will report on the hearing and the plea entered, if it actually took place today as scheduled.

Replying to my own post to add that I finally was able to get access to the court calendar, and it looks like Liren Chen's plea hearing is now scheduled for October 4, 2024. I wonder why he hasn't yet entered a plea, as there have been a number of plea hearings scheduled but apparently no plea has been entered. At first it was because he was hospitalized and unable to appear, but eventually he did appear for his arraignment (he was wearing some kind of medical helmet over his head during that hearing). Not sure what is holding things up now. I haven't seen any coverage of this case in any of the news media for awhile now.

Justice is slow for Xuanyi.

Liren Chen's plea hearing was scheduled for tomorrow, October 4th, in Santa Clara Criminal Court. I will check to see if it is still scheduled, there have been so many delays in this case. Hoping for justice for Xuanyi and that the wheels of that justice begin to turn soon.

Edited to add: I checked the website of the Santa Clara Criminal Court and the plea hearing is still scheduled for tomorrow, October 4th, at 9 a.m. Pacific Time, 12 noon ET.

Last edited:
I also see that a case for the Estate of Decedent Xuanyi Yu has been filed in Santa Clara Probate Court in March 2024, and the last entry on the probate case is dated August 21, 2024, so still looks like it is not settled, the last entry says that the request has been made to change legal representation. It looks like both a representative for Xuanyi and also for Liren Chen (husband who murdered Xuanyi) are involved in the probate case, as well as some credit card companies that are listed. Also, a probate referee was appointed in May of 2024, so it appears that the process is not going smoothly, which doesn't surprise me. But glad to know that Xuanyi appears to have representation for the settlement of her estate.

ETA: The above link doesn't work here, but if you look up the case of Liren Chen in the Criminal Court division, the case of the probate court on the Estate of Xuanyi Yu comes up as well, since it is linked to the name Liren Chen, that's how I found it.

Thank you @Sundog for bringing updates. I was just checking around yesterday to see if there was movement, but didn’t find anything. Appreciate this info. Sad case. Xuanyi deserved better than LC. May justice prevail.

Plea hearing for Liren Chen that was scheduled to take place on October 4, 2024, has now been held over until January 10, 2025.

I'm guessing that he doesn't enter a plea due to psychiatric issues and that he has been deemed unfit to enter a plea at this time? Mentally and legally incompetent? Not sure how this would work, I guess if experts testify that a person is not mentally competent and he is hospitalized in a mental institution, then the person is not legally competent to enter a plea. Maybe that's why the plea hearing continues to be scheduled at regular intervals but keeps being held over.

Last edited:
I just found this article on the law in California. Looks like LC could be held in a state hospital for "competency restoration" for up to two years and not enter a plea during that time if unfit to stand trial and enter a plea.

If a defendant is found to be incompetent to stand trial, they are ordered to attend a competency restoration program.

In California, that means that if they are charged with a misdemeanor, they will receive treatment in a county jail in a specialized competency restoration unit. In misdemeanor cases, they can be held in a county jail for up to 1 year for competency restoration.

If they are charged with a felony, they will be sent to a state hospital for competency restoration. In felony cases, the defendant has up to 2 years to become competent.

Once they are found to be competent, they will be returned to the county jail and the criminal proceedings will move forward.

If they are still incompetent to stand trial, they can be placed into either an
LPS (Lanterman-Petris-Short) Conservatorship or Murphy Conservatorship.

After further reading about California's "Murphy Conservatorship Statute," the way I understand it is that after two years if LC is not restored to competency according to court-appointed experts, then the defendant is acquitted of the charges, i.e. the charges are dropped. However, the state has the option, according to Murphy Conservative Statute, of seeking a long-term CIVIL commitment to a state instiution for an indiviudal deemed not competent to stand trial. But from what I am reading, this is used mostly for defendants who are a serious danger to others/society.

So in two years, if the court still finds that LC is not competent to stand trial, then it sounds like it is possible that LC could be released into his family's care as conservators (without a civil commitment by the courts) and his parents could arrange to have him returned to their home in the PRC. Unless, of course, the court orders a civil commitment to a state hospital and it is unclear how long such a civil commitment would be. Regardless, the felony murder charge would no longer exist, he would have been acquitted of that before a court-ordered civil commitment.

JMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OKseeker
Back