Found Deceased CA - Yohanes Kidane, 22, Netflix software engineer, entered Uber in San Jose, pers items found near Golden Gate Bridge, 15 Aug 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The body of a recent Cornell University graduate who vanished in mid August has been identified weeks after he began a new job as a software engineer at Netflix, according to a statement from the Marin County Sheriff’s Office. “The decedent has been positively identified as Yohanes Stefanos Kidane, a 22-year-old male from San Jose,” the Sheriff’s Office said of a body that was found on August 29th “within the San Francisco Bay waters northeast of the Golden Gate Bridge by a passing boat.”

“The mode of death was determined to be suicide,” based on a forensic examination conducted on September 1st, authorities said after reporting that “the cause of death was determined to be from blunt impact injuries with drowning as a significant contributing condition.”
Only five percent survive the fall (with blunt force injuries), only to drown in the waters. How very sad.

Safety nets were put in during 2013.

Bridges over gorges near Cornell have been a conspicuous launching area for suicide leaps. There are seven bridges over two gorges on or near the Cornell campus.

Between 1990 and 2010, 29 people attempted suicide by jumping from bridges into Ithaca's gorges. Twenty-seven were successful, 15 of the 27 were Cornell students, according to court documents. Ginsburg's complaint refers to Cornell's campus as "an iconic spot for ending one's life."

They now also have tall wire fencing as an additional barrier on many of the bridges around campus which has created controversy as it is also a barrier to the views. I'm not sure of their effectiveness as Ithaca has virtually hundreds of other places where a person can end their life in this manner. Just like everything else, the problem needs to be addressed at the source, which would mean tackling mental health issues and finding a way to compel people to care for themselves. It's much easier to just throw up a fence.

Source: I was born & raised in Ithaca and had this conversation with my husband two weeks ago as we drove across the Stewart Ave bridge.

MOO.

They now also have tall wire fencing as an additional barrier on many of the bridges around campus which has created controversy as it is also a barrier to the views. I'm not sure of their effectiveness as Ithaca has virtually hundreds of other places where a person can end their life in this manner. Just like everything else, the problem needs to be addressed at the source, which would mean tackling mental health issues and finding a way to compel people to care for themselves. It's much easier to just throw up a fence.

Source: I was born & raised in Ithaca and had this conversation with my husband two weeks ago as we drove across the Stewart Ave bridge.

MOO.
It is not a solve all, but we have another bridge in CA that attracts people contemplating ending their life. The community comes together and writes notes for people who may be struggling. I know of at least 2 people that have changed their minds at the bridge one because of the notes themselves and 1 because the women hanging up the notes recognized the signs of someone that was struggling. I would bet, there have been more though just maybe not talked about.

View attachment 441970

So I'm assuming that the grassy hill his brother is talking about is located here, marked in red.

Is there more detail about where the backpack with the laptops was found?

either way, I have a bad feeling with the wallet/phone/laptop being found like this. I hope he is okay.

I'm assuming his phone had a passcode and they don't have it. Getting a warrant for Uber to open access will take time. I am hoping - though a very long shot - that that the driver might see this story and volunteer some info. Uber will take too long and time is of the essence.

Just for future reference, that hill and the place where the backpack were found are on the fairly short walk up to the bridge itself. This is close to where Syd (another missing person here on WS) left her stuff, too.

And to answer another question, yes the bridge has cameras, but I am not sure they continuously record every part of the bridge. If it's foggy, then the images are quite obscure.

It is not a solve all, but we have another bridge in CA that attracts people contemplating ending their life. The community comes together and writes notes for people who may be struggling. I know of at least 2 people that have changed their minds at the bridge one because of the notes themselves and 1 because the women hanging up the notes recognized the signs of someone that was struggling. I would bet, there have been more though just maybe not talked about.

What a kind thing to do. Sometimes just the act of one human being reaching out to another really can change someone's world!

My heart goes out to his loved ones. I had 2 good friends who made the same choice as YK. One friend, we never even saw it coming and the other, we all knew was struggling but we rallied around him. Either way, Its devastating.
YK must’ve been feeling isolated and alone, possibly was struggling with being in a new environment and who knows what else. We never truly know, unless they tell us. I’m so sorry this was the outcome.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaastrichtDetective
Back