California, US - Jessie Peterson, 31, missing for a year found dead in hospital’s storage facility, hospital had told family she had checked out

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
According to Greenberg, family members also have found inconsistencies in the medical documents they’ve received, raising further questions about Peterson’s death.

[…]

Another record states that a chest X-ray was done when she checked in on April 6, 2023, and was compared with a subsequent scan done on May 31, 2023.

“She was dead and in cold storage by then, so what did [they] compare it to?” Greenberg said.

This allegation of the May 31st x ray is interesting. Who was it done on, and more importantly perhaps, is who was billed for it? No way an x-ray happens in a hospital without it getting billed to someone. Insurance? Medicaid? State of Calif? Some third-party? Was it paid?

Too Decomposed? MSM Accuracy?
Peterson's family began a relentless search, filing a missing persons report, reaching out to the community, posting flyers with her photo throughout the city, even getting her name added to the US Department of Justice website for missing persons.

Finally, more than a year after her disappearance, a phone call from a detective with the Sacramento County Sheriff's Office gave them the news they had dreaded: A death certificate had been issued for Jessie

One of Jessie's sisters went to the Sacramento County Coroner's Office but was told her remains were not there. Instead, she was told to contact the hospital.

Peterson's mother, Ginger Congi, reached someone at the hospital who told her they would call back. No call came immediately, but a mortuary later contacted Congi and said Jessie's body had been found at one of the hospital's off-site cold storage facilities.

Her body was too decomposed for an autopsy.

As it turned out, Jessie had died about two hours after her last call to her mother.
@imstilla.grandma Thx for your post :) w quotes from cnn link, including this one:
"Her body was too decomposed for an autopsy."
^ Stated as FACT by reporter.

I wondered how/why remains were "too decomposed" for an autopsy, as we sometimes read about autopsies conducted on remains w little remaining tissue or even skeletal remains.

Later, story notes ^ is an ALLEGATION in parent's petition against hosp "for negligence, negligent handling of a corpse, negligent infliction of emotional distress and violating California Health and Safety Code." <--- in petition, per article.

Then more from petition: "Because Jessie's death was not reported to family for a year after her death, an autopsy to determine whether medical malpractice played any role in her death was rendered impossible."

So petition does not precisely allege "too decomposed for autopsy."
Not clear to me why a delayed autopsy could not provide findings which may have been somehow useful and admissable as evd. in the civil suit.

Not commenting about atty or merits of case, so much as questioning MSM ACCURACY. Of course, reporters work under deadlines.

Regardless a tragedy.

Too Decomposed? MSM Accuracy?

@imstilla.grandma Thx for your post :) w quotes from cnn link, including this one:
"Her body was too decomposed for an autopsy."
^ Stated as FACT by reporter.

I wondered how/why remains were "too decomposed" for an autopsy, as we sometimes read about autopsies conducted on remains w little remaining tissue or even skeletal remains.

Later, story notes ^ is an ALLEGATION in parent's petition against hosp "for negligence, negligent handling of a corpse, negligent infliction of emotional distress and violating California Health and Safety Code." <--- in petition, per article.

Then more from petition: "Because Jessie's death was not reported to family for a year after her death, an autopsy to determine whether medical malpractice played any role in her death was rendered impossible."

So petition does not precisely allege "too decomposed for autopsy."
Not clear to me why a delayed autopsy could not provide findings which may have been somehow useful and admissable as evd. in the civil suit.

Not commenting about atty or merits of case, so much as questioning MSM ACCURACY. Of course, reporters work under deadlines.

Regardless a tragedy.
I'd like to see the actual Complaint. I would think the attorney is being careful with his words and may be doing this strategically. What has the coroner or state medical examiner said? It will be interesting to see how the hospital answers this averment.

This allegation of the May 31st x ray is interesting. Who was it done on, and more importantly perhaps, is who was billed for it? No way an x-ray happens in a hospital without it getting billed to someone. Insurance? Medicaid? State of Calif? Some third-party? Was it paid?
as a biller/coder who's made some mistakes and has also had to deal with the fallout of mistakes from others, it's not impossible for a facility charge like that to get "disappeared" from billing due to sloppy coding and documentation, but.... it'd be very rare. And usually has multiple layers of redundancies to keep it from going unsent. And the actual facilities coders are incredibly detailed, and admin reports are more thorough than I thought was possible when I started a decade ago.

Now, my particular market is probably nowhere near as busy as a major CA hospital, but even if someone did try to "disappear" a charge from their billing interface, my gut feeling is that there's going to be a digital "paper trail."

Last time I was admitted to a hospital ,They actually almost admitted me under a different persons name.That mistake had like 9 people in my room at once , I was medicated heavily and barely caught the mistake ,I was the one to point it out and because of that mistake a couple of really great nurses followed up with me to make sure I was okay.
They kept asking me ,if this name was my name and it wasn't, I keep saying No ,every time I said it was not me ,they would seem to get mad or annoyed . They thought I was lying to them .
Also they actually knew my name , and had picked me up at my house. So wtf? Anyway I hope they have a list of all the organs that went out when Jessie died ,every record of everything from that hospital . This is not an innocent accident imo.

as a biller/coder who's made some mistakes and has also had to deal with the fallout of mistakes from others, it's not impossible for a facility charge like that to get "disappeared" from billing due to sloppy coding and documentation, but.... it'd be very rare. And usually has multiple layers of redundancies to keep it from going unsent. And the actual facilities coders are incredibly detailed, and admin reports are more thorough than I thought was possible when I started a decade ago.

Now, my particular market is probably nowhere near as busy as a major CA hospital, but even if someone did try to "disappear" a charge from their billing interface, my gut feeling is that there's going to be a digital "paper trail."
Well, it could be a situation when her documents are lost since the article says she was homeless and maybe, she has no insurance. Then, there are GAU (County) grants which are for people without any insurance. Coding and "who to bill" are different things. The radiologist charges for the procedure and what he needs is the name, the procedure and the code. But in a way, the radiologist does not need to verify that the person they brought in is the same as the last time. He may see that the bones on the Xray are different...or the same. (Professional memory.) Or, these may be different doctors working on these days. And if the doctor is hyperfocused, he may be looking only at the lungs and writing that "pneumonia has resolved", not noticing that the film on the left has an old healed fracture of L shoulder, and on the right, doesn't. It happens, too.

Who they go afterwards for payment, the Medicaid, the Medicare, the GAU or write it off, is the hospital's job. Another level of separation, another mess.

Last edited:
Well, it could be a situation when her documents are lost since the article says she was homeless and maybe, she has no insurance. Then, there are GAU (County) grants which are for people without any insurance. Coding and "who to bill" are different things.
I don't understand how this invalidates the oddity of those May x rays.
Nor does it explain why the homeless persons parent were told she was told she had "checked out""
Weird words ,but I read them in this case soo..

Last time I was admitted to a hospital ,They actually almost admitted me under a different persons name.That mistake had like 9 people in my room at once , I was medicated heavily and barely caught the mistake ,I was the one to point it out and because of that mistake a couple of really great nurses followed up with me to make sure I was okay.
They kept asking me ,if this name was my name and it wasn't, I keep saying No ,every time I said it was not me ,they would seem to get mad or annoyed . They thought I was lying to them .
Also they actually knew my name , and had picked me up at my house. So wtf? Anyway I hope they have a list of all the organs that went out when Jessie died ,every record of everything from that hospital . This is not an innocent accident imo.

I doubt she'd be a good candidate for transplantation tbh, with type I DM and dying, probably was not in a good shape at all. RIP, poor woman. But of course, some mistakes were made at all levels, as we can see. In contrast to others, I don't think it was a coverup of someone’s medical mistake, I believe it was a chain of mistakes that weren't caught till one year later.

As to confusing patients? Easily. My kid had an MRI done in a major hospital. A very nice, older and "old school" nurse said "the doctor needs your blood." I was slightly surprised as we were an outside referral (they showed movies in MRI machine, that's why we went there). But OK. And then the door opened and another nurse invited my son in, calling him by his first name. Only it was not his name. It was my other child's first name, and for all I knew, we had never been to that place before. This caught my attention. "Wait a moment, what is this kid's name?", I asked the nurse, pointing at my son. She said "XX" and it was not close at all, I mean, very hard to confuse. "OK," said I, "this is not him," and then looking at that vial of blood I added, "and don't tell me my son's blood is labeled with the other kid's name." Of course it was. The nurse had to report it as a mistake and obviously didn't want to, and I said, it is up to her, technically, not a mistake yet (as i caught it...I felt sorry for her, tbh.) But even this could have ended poorly, because, MRI, and what if the other doctor wanted to check his patient's drug level in plasma, and my son was on no meds. In the worst case scenario, it could be a CPS call for the other kid's family. So stuff happens all the time, and we all huge lists of stories.

However: these used to be potentially serious, but still random things. But now they are becoming too frequent. In all fields. Am i the only one to notice it? And they are caught only when something exorbitant happens, like that MAX door, or Maui coast guard not activating alarm during the fire in Lahaina, or a body forgotten in the morgue for a year. It is a chain of mistakes at all levels, and as I suspect, everywhere in the world, btw.

Which makes me wonder... they say post-Covid syndrome may be serious, but is still very rare. But recently, i have been thinking...what if a person is complaining of "brain fog", but objectively, nothing major shows? Unless you are young and had full battery of neurocognitive tests done before Covid and then, in 2023-2024, how can you catch a small decline in working memory, for example? Or a tad worse processing speed? What if it is some inattentiveness that no one notices because it is so new?

What I wonder is if we are all living in Covid-induced inattention time, and it will be realized in ten years, when major statistic data will become finally available? That the whole world is struggling with the same? Basically, a chain of untied ends?

Seriously, I don't think this case is a conspiracy. I see some disconnect at all levels, the ward (I still don't know if it was ER or the floor), misplacing the body, then the body not getting to the pathologist (they have a schedule, right?), now these Xrays. Either it was initially mistaken identity that no one caught, or a strange chain of disjointed mistakes at each level of the hospital, pointing at something we are all struggling from, but no one yet has explained.

Do hospital patients in the US get a wrist band with their name and birth date when thet are admitted? If so, then someone(s) have not checked the name on the band with the name on the xray order. Here in Sweden the patients get a wrist band at hospital.
1724828005224.png

I doubt she'd be a good candidate for transplantation tbh, with type I DM and dying, probably was not in a good shape at all. RIP, poor woman. But of course, some mistakes were made at all levels, as we can see. In contrast to others, I don't think it was a coverup of someone’s medical mistake, I believe it was a chain of mistakes that weren't caught till one year later.

As to confusing patients? Easily. My kid had an MRI done in a major hospital. A very nice, older and "old school" nurse said "the doctor needs your blood." I was slightly surprised as we were an outside referral (they showed movies in MRI machine, that's why we went there). But OK. And then the door opened and another nurse invited my son in, calling him by his first name. Only it was not his name. It was my other child's first name, and for all I knew, we had never been to that place before. This caught my attention. "Wait a moment, what is this kid's name?", I asked the nurse, pointing at my son. She said "XX" and it was not close at all, I mean, very hard to confuse. "OK," said I, "this is not him," and then looking at that vial of blood I added, "and don't tell me my son's blood is labeled with the other kid's name." Of course it was. The nurse had to report it as a mistake and obviously didn't want to, and I said, it is up to her, technically, not a mistake yet (as i caught it...I felt sorry for her, tbh.) But even this could have ended poorly, because, MRI, and what if the other doctor wanted to check his patient's drug level in plasma, and my son was on no meds. In the worst case scenario, it could be a CPS call for the other kid's family. So stuff happens all the time, and we all huge lists of stories.

However: these used to be potentially serious, but still random things. But now they are becoming too frequent. In all fields. Am i the only one to notice it? And they are caught only when something exorbitant happens, like that MAX door, or Maui coast guard not activating alarm during the fire in Lahaina, or a body forgotten in the morgue for a year. It is a chain of mistakes at all levels, and as I suspect, everywhere in the world, btw.

Which makes me wonder... they say post-Covid syndrome may be serious, but is still very rare. But recently, i have been thinking...what if a person is complaining of "brain fog", but objectively, nothing major shows? Unless you are young and had full battery of neurocognitive tests done before Covid and then, in 2023-2024, how can you catch a small decline in working memory, for example? Or a tad worse processing speed? What if it is some inattentiveness that no one notices because it is so new?

What I wonder is if we are all living in Covid-induced inattention time, and it will be realized in ten years, when major statistic data will become finally available? That the whole world is struggling with the same? Basically, a chain of untied ends?

Seriously, I don't think this case is a conspiracy. I see some disconnect at all levels, the ward (I still don't know if it was ER or the floor), misplacing the body, then the body not getting to the pathologist (they have a schedule, right?), now these Xrays. Either it was initially mistaken identity that no one caught, or a strange chain of disjointed mistakes at each level of the hospital, pointing at something we are all struggling from, but no one yet has explained.
I cannot realistically believe this happens as a mistake 3 hundred an 61 days ,was it? Maybe it was a mistake but
How ?? Plus her family knew she WAS there ..so they called and found her records indicated she was released, So again HOW? I don't care if this case is a conspiracy or not, I already know it is a direct deficit across a hoard of professionals.
She died with Hospital wrist bands or at least should have had some on at the time of her death, which I assume had zero reason to be removed for cold storage..IMO

I

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crimecat8
Back