California Wildfires 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It is interesting, how animals react in these situations. Our cat was saved by firefighters from our home, he literally jumped into their arms, and clung to a firefighter like a little spider monkey. The fire crew had a small oxygen mask, and gave him oxygen. He didn't run away, or hide, he wanted to be rescued!
“Little spider monkey” <3 <3 I am so glad that your cat was rescued!

CALIFORNIA August 2018 – Gov. Jerry Brown is proposing broad new changes to California’s logging rules that would allow landowners to cut larger trees and build temporary roads without obtaining a permit as a way to thin more forests across the state.

The proposal — which has the support of the timber industry but is being opposed by more than a dozen environmental groups — would represent one of the largest changes to the state’s timber harvesting rules in the past 45 years.

Gov. Jerry Brown proposes easing logging rules to thin forests – Santa Cruz Sentinel

Butte County Sheriff
Latest press release from Butte Co. Sheriff. Big drop in number of missing today, and hope it keeps dropping!
The missing count went back up today, due to LE being able to go through a backlog of their voicemails, and 2 more human remains found. The above link has each day's latest details, as well as changes in evac orders, road closures, etc.

The missing count went back up today, due to LE being able to go through a backlog of their voicemails, and 2 more human remains found. The above link has each day's latest details, as well as changes in evac orders, road closures, etc.

I wonder why the tentatively identified body count went down?

Two years ago, here in Montana, the air quality was so bad, due to the fires. And our house was beyond filthy, even though our home was not affected, we had smoke "damage" just due to the particulate matter in the area. You couldn't see past 1/4 mile oftentimes it was so terrible.

So, people far away from the fire area will be affected. Especially those people on oxygen.

I’m still thinking of all the families who have lost loved ones and or their home and possessions. It will be a difficult Thanksgiving for them today.

It really is completely surreal to lose everything. I had a lot of anger, I hated people who hadn't lost everything. I had one outfit to wear, that I bought at Walmart. You really don't know where to start.

But, decades later, I realize that belongings really have no meaning to me any longer. They can be here one day, gone the next. People who fight about things..I miss the pictures I had, those can't be replaced.

It really is completely surreal to lose everything. I had a lot of anger, I hated people who hadn't lost everything. I had one outfit to wear, that I bought at Walmart. You really don't know where to start.

But, decades later, I realize that belongings really have no meaning to me any longer. They can be here one day, gone the next. People who fight about things..I miss the pictures I had, those can't be replaced.
Yes, photos are what people seem to miss the most.

I think the experience of fire is so sudden, violent, threatening, that would also affect how people feel. They'd have post-traumatic stress because of that terror they felt while trying to escape. But also, possibly relief in having survived (though that will also usually bring on survivor guilt). Everyone will, I hope, cope in their own way.

A good reminder to be thankful.

A deadly wildfire is nearly contained after several days of rain in Northern California, but searchers are still completing the meticulous task of combing through now-muddy ash and debris for signs of human remains.

Crews planned to resume the grim task today after working on-and-off the day before amid a downpour in the devastated town of Paradise.

Rain douses 'most' of California wildfire that killed 84 and destroyed 19,000 buildings

My husband’s cousin and his wife have turned down numerous offers of help from family and a multitude of friends because they have “excellent insurance.” They have asked that others who are less fortunate be helped instead and are very thankful for their blessings.

They have been able to lease a large home in Chico that they are sharing with a friend and her children and furnishing with rented furniture. They don’t plan to rebuild and made offers on a couple of homes but they lost to another “bidder” despite offering much more than the asking price. So at this point, they are going to sit tight until the housing market settles down. Very wise.

Dave Toussaint‏ @engineco16 3h3 hours ago
#Update #CampFire 11/24

- 87 fatalities, 475 missing
- 153336 acres 98% contained
- 13954 single/multi family homes destroyed
- 514 commercial buildings destroyed
- 4265 other structures destroyed
-Total of 18733 structures destroyed
- 570 structures damaged

Very happy to see the fatalities staying fairly steady and the missing still declining...

#Update #CampFire 11/24

- 570 structures damaged

Very happy to see the fatalities staying fairly steady and the missing still declining...
I don't know how large an area the searchers have left to go over, but when I think of the possibilities of people being in areas other than the general vicinity of burned homes and businesses, it's just incredibly overwhelming. I check the daily press releases so appreciate you posting this one.

I follow some of the Camp Fire missing pets FB pages as well as the missing person pages. Seeing pets and people found and reunited is uplifting, but this tragedy isn't going to be over anytime soon, if ever.

#Update #CampFire 11/24

- 570 structures damaged

Those statistics are staggering what a horrendous tragedy.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Asa_Lange
Back