Found Deceased Cambodia - Amelia Bambridge, 21, UK backpacker, Koh Rong, 23 Oct 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Since it is possible that she accidentally drowned, we will never know whether someone lured her to a boat, dumped her in the ocean and placed her backpack on a rock near the beach to lead people to assume that she willingly went into the water and drifted away.

I still think going for a swim on your own in the middle of the night would be a strange thing to do - perhaps it's just me but I like to be able to see what's around me. The waters are beautifully clear there by day, but at night would be inky black with little light.

I've done it and it was a beautiful experience. The night sky, the silence, ..... I wasn't intoxicated though and didn't swim out.

I wonder how LE reconciles they reported fact that she was seen on cctv leaving the beach and I would think that would have been on the pathway rather than the beach itself and the idea that she went into the water voluntarily and drowned.

I wonder how LE reconciles they reported fact that she was seen on cctv leaving the beach and I would think that would have been on the pathway rather than the beach itself and the idea that she went into the water voluntarily and drowned.

There was some question as to the time of that CCTV. Has anything more been released about the time, or the actual footage? If she left the party and headed to the pier, then I think this has a different story than accidental drowning.

There was some question as to the time of that CCTV. Has anything more been released about the time, or the actual footage? If she left the party and headed to the pier, then I think this has a different story than accidental drowning.

No details regarding cctv sightings have been released but when Amelias father first arrived on the island he said that he is looking at all available cctv. Presumably he's seen the one of her "leaving" and knows the timestamp. If there's any doubt in his mind because of discrepancies now that she has been found I'm sure he will voice them in the coming days.

I hope they only showed him the tattoo or other distinguishable marks ..... after one week in the water it would be shocking for any family member to see her.

Her brother was on the boat when her body was found. He identified her body based on tattoos and other identifiable information.

If there's anything fishy with CCTV, such as footage of Amelia walking towards the Community Pier after 3:30AM, then her father (who has reviewed CCTV) is the best person to demand a murder inquiry.

Last edited:
I agree with earlier suggestions that Amelia's family should have a second autopsy completed in the UK. I would not trust a place like Cambodia for accurate results.

We cannot forget Katherine, a 55 year old tourist who was murdered on the Island in 2013. Other tourists found the body. Her throat was slashed. Authorities reported that it was an accident for several days after the body was found, so the people who found her body contacted the USA Embassy to report the murder. Authorities have identified the murderer, but he fled the area and it seems like no one is looking for him.

It really just seems like she took a night swim and drowned. And there was a British authority watching over the autopsy.

Only bad vibes I get was the lady staring at the camera in the last known pic, she just seems out of place, and Amelia looks Uncomfortable, maybe she just doesn't like her photo taken

Attachments

• DD-COMP-AMELIA-1.jpg
    DD-COMP-AMELIA-1.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 194
It really just seems like she took a night swim and drowned. And there was a British authority watching over the autopsy.

Only bad vibes I get was the lady staring at the camera in the last known pic, she just seems out of place, and Amelia looks Uncomfortable, maybe she just doesn't like her photo taken

I do agree about an accidental drowning. We will see what is released from the autopsy but just IMO she either drank more than she was used to or perhaps her drink was spiked in some way and she had no buddy to watch out for her and she went into water and accidentally drowned. Just so very sad.

No signs of foul play and autopsy was attended by members of Amelia's family and a representative from the British Embassy .

So I guess that's that. She got drunk or whatever and went for a swim. I'm interested to see whether the family issue a statement that they are satisfied with this conclusion.

I am curious about toxicology results. Was she indeed so intoxicated that she drowned? If there are drugs in her system, maybe the family can sue the private Police Beach Club for serving alcohol and drugs to the extent that customers are too intoxicated to have basic common sense.

RIP
So Amelia's lungs were filled with seawater. That's no surprise.
How on earth did she manage to get in that situation in shallow water?

Other questions I'm asking myself: Amelia's group of friends was what, a group of 5-6? They all leave together to the beach, but the group returns to the hostel without Amelia and goes to sleep in the dorm knowing that her bed remained empty.

That was on the 23rd of October. Amelia was supposed to check out on the 25th of October. Only then the alarm was raised?

I am curious about toxicology results. Was she indeed so intoxicated that she drowned? If there are drugs in her system, maybe the family can sue the private Police Beach Club for serving alcohol and drugs to the extent that customers are too intoxicated to have basic common sense.

I don't think you can (or should be able to) sue for someone getting drunk or off their head or whatever. Unless the bar held some ridiculous drinking contest or actually sold drugs, if applicable, I don't see how they can be held responsible. Literally thousands of people attend these sorts of beach parties every month, thousands.

I notice there is a fundraiser to get Amelia and the family home. 17k and rising. Not sure why this is needed and I'm wondering if she didn't have insurance.

RIP
So Amelia's lungs were filled with seawater. That's no surprise.
How on earth did she manage to get in that situation in shallow water?

Other questions I'm asking myself: Amelia's group of friends was what, a group of 5-6? They all leave together to the beach, but the group returns to the hostel without Amelia and goes to sleep in the dorm knowing that her bed remained empty.

That was on the 23rd of October. Amelia was supposed to check out on the 25th of October. Only then the alarm was raised?

The dates have been confusing. The party was on Wednesday night, October 23. Her last contact with family was early Thursday morning at 3:23AM, October 24. She was supposed to check out on Oct 25.

Although a group of 5 or 6 people from the hostel went to the party together, I don't think that means they were friends or had any intention to return to the hostel together. One would hope that they would have each other's backs, but they were basically friendly strangers who really don't know whether Amelia normally hooked up or whatever.

I doubt she drowned in shallow water. It's more likely that she was pulled away from shore with the tide and didn't notice until it was too late. I haven't read anything about riptides in the area, but given that she drifted parallel to the shore, maybe there are riptides.

I don't think you can (or should be able to) sue for someone getting drunk or off their head or whatever. Unless the bar held some ridiculous drinking contest or actually sold drugs, if applicable, I don't see how they can be held responsible. Literally thousands of people attend these sorts of beach parties every month, thousands.

I notice there is a fundraiser to get Amelia and the family home. 17k and rising. Not sure why this is needed and I'm wondering if she didn't have insurance.

In some places, there is law stating that sober bartenders have to stop serving people who are too drunk to drink. If they continue to serve a drunk and that drunk kills someone, liability becomes an issue.

However, who knows about how things work in Cambodia.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mconnectseo
Back