Canada - 5 people, inc. 2 teens, found dead inside Oshawa, Ontario home after shooting, 4 Sept 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
rbbm.
Gunman kills four of his family members before taking his own life at Oshawa home: Police
Neighbours said the Traynor family recently returned from a cottage. Property records show a North Kawartha cottage previously owned by Loretta Traynor’s parents, Matthew and Marilyn Lapa, was transferred to her in April 2018. No money was exchanged.
Her father, Matthew Lapa, died in January 2019, pre-deceased by his wife Marilyn''.

Noting, fwiw. rbbm
When cottage succession turns toxic
“Dealing with a cottage property as part of one’s estate plan is probably one of the most difficult and challenging tasks,” says Toronto estate lawyer and mediator Howard Black, a partner with Minden Gross LLP. “Similar to the distribution of personal effects, which can create a great deal of resentment and potential disputes, the cottage property is associated with deep emotional connections.”

Transferring The Family Cottage
''The family cottage should invoke memories of warm weather, sunshine, and happiness. Unfortunately, for some, estate battles or family fights surrounding the cottage can tarnish these positive memories upon the death of the owner of the property.
Family fights over the cottage property may be contentious, as cottages can hold significant financial and sentimental value. Generally, cottages have been in the family for generations, and family members may develop an emotional attachment to the property, making it difficult for people to treat it in a rational fashion, as they might in respect of any other estate asset. Thinking about the cottage in an emotional rather than rational way may cause additional difficulties for individuals who find themselves in a fight over the property.''

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent...ownership-is-tearing-families-apart-1.3646954
''Due to shifting demographics over the next decade, many cottages are set to become family battlegrounds—as ownership of vacation properties along with other family assets will be transferred from aging parents to their children.
Barbara Benoliel, a psychologist and mediator who helps many families resolve succession disputes, tells The Current's Anna Maria Tremonti that cottages are the most contentious part of estate disputes.
"The cottage really represents the whole issue of family … so that's where their history is, that's why it's important," says Benoliel,
The meaning of the property that represents identity is why things get complicated when dealing with family members.''

I'm not saying this in a religious sense, but I can't help but recall the first murder comes very early in the biblical story of human creation, when Cain killed Abel, because Abel was God the father's favorite.

Just saying, IMO these human feelings are very old, run very deep and too often do lead to murderous tragedy.
Family disputes involving inheritances are very common now, and have been common for a long, long, long time. It's actually very uncommon for a family to not have any sort of dispute, even if it's something really small. I think everyone has aunts that, for some reason, can't stand eacher, or cousins, or siblings. It's always very sad when it comes to a homicidal situation though, but I tend to believe that the people that kill their own family members would eventually kill or attempt to kill someone else.

rbbm.
HUNTER: Oshawa mass killer's highway of horror | Toronto Sun
Screen-Shot-2020-09-08-at-3.50.06-PM-e1599595385218.png

Mitchell Lapa shot and killed his brother-in-law and three of his children in Oshawa.

''From the Manitoba border to Thunder Bay, it’s eight long hours of lousy radio, lousy reception and depressing vistas of endless nothingness.

You are alone with your thoughts on the Trans-Canada Highway.

Some people are cursed with the ability to turn molehills into mountains, time in their own heads drives their obsessions to fever pitch. They dwell, they obsess, they twist reality to suit their conclusions.

Sometime during the previous two weeks, Mitchell Lapa took that road and set a course for bloodshed.''

'''During the long hours alone in his white Ford F-150 pickup truck — probably about 24 — he had time to ruminate over the innumerable ways in which he felt he had been wronged. His rage growing with each mile in the rearview mirror.

Multiple sources suggest he believed he had been cheated by his sister and her husband in a battle over their father’s inheritance.

In 2018, their late father, Matthew, transferred the family cottage on Jack’s Lake — between Peterborough and Bancroft — over to his daughter, Loretta. Apparently, a bone of contention between siblings.''

rbbm.
HUNTER: Oshawa mass killer's highway of horror | Toronto Sun
Screen-Shot-2020-09-08-at-3.50.06-PM-e1599595385218.png

Mitchell Lapa shot and killed his brother-in-law and three of his children in Oshawa.

''From the Manitoba border to Thunder Bay, it’s eight long hours of lousy radio, lousy reception and depressing vistas of endless nothingness.

You are alone with your thoughts on the Trans-Canada Highway.

Some people are cursed with the ability to turn molehills into mountains, time in their own heads drives their obsessions to fever pitch. They dwell, they obsess, they twist reality to suit their conclusions.

Sometime during the previous two weeks, Mitchell Lapa took that road and set a course for bloodshed.''

'''During the long hours alone in his white Ford F-150 pickup truck — probably about 24 — he had time to ruminate over the innumerable ways in which he felt he had been wronged. His rage growing with each mile in the rearview mirror.

Multiple sources suggest he believed he had been cheated by his sister and her husband in a battle over their father’s inheritance.

In 2018, their late father, Matthew, transferred the family cottage on Jack’s Lake — between Peterborough and Bancroft — over to his daughter, Loretta. Apparently, a bone of contention between siblings.''

Thanks for posting -- some spectacularly poor and uninformed writing in that article but the details of the will and the worsening relationship are both interesting and sad.

Family disputes involving inheritances are very common now, and have been common for a long, long, long time. It's actually very uncommon for a family to not have any sort of dispute, even if it's something really small. I think everyone has aunts that, for some reason, can't stand eacher, or cousins, or siblings. It's always very sad when it comes to a homicidal situation though, but I tend to believe that the people that kill their own family members would eventually kill or attempt to kill someone else.

I agree, anyone who is capable of murdering family members is just as dangerous to others who unknowingly push their buttons. I’d be very curious to see this killer’s criminal record because I doubt he was cut out of the will just because he wasn’t a favoured child.

I agree, anyone who is capable of murdering family members is just as dangerous to others who unknowingly push their buttons. I’d be very curious to see this killer’s criminal record because I doubt he was cut out of the will just because he wasn’t a favoured child.
Yes, I'm assuming the problems go way, way, way back.

Durham Region Police Service
Sep 10, 2020 ibm.
''The following is a statement from the Traynor Family:''

''Loretta, Sam and the entire Traynor family would like to state how profoundly grateful we are for all the kind messages of condolence and support this past week, as well as for the tributes at the house and the schools.

Loretta is recovering from her injuries, with Sam remaining closely by her side. Both are devastated over the tragic loss of Chris, Bradley, Adelaide and Joey, but the support provided by the staff and students at the family's schools, the Durham Catholic District School Board and the entire Oshawa community have been of great comfort to the entire family.

We would like to extend our thanks to the Durham Regional Police Service for all of their assistance, as well as to the first responders that attended at the house on the morning of September 4th and the medical staff that continues to provide excellent care to Loretta.

We are also very grateful to all those who have contributed to the G F M campaign. The family will put together a committee to advise on the disbursement of the funds to support and appropriately memorialize the entire family.

Finally, while we understand the desire for further information, we ask that the media and the public to please respect our family's need for privacy during this very difficult time.''

Snippets, lengthy article.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/oshawa-killings-mitch-lapa-will-1.5717857
Sept 11 2020 rbbm.
''The man suspected of wounding his sister, fatally shooting her husband and three of their kids inside their Oshawa, Ont., home last week, was all but left out of his father's will, according to court documents obtained by CBC News.

Instead, Mitch Lapa's sister Loretta Traynor and her children were the beneficiaries of almost all of her late father's estate.''

''Before his death in 2019, Matthew Lapa made it clear in his will that his son Mitch would not receive much of his wealth.

The will was signed on Sept. 25, 2015. It makes no mention of why his son wouldn't benefit the way his daughter would.''

''After he died in January 2019, his will also stated she and her four children would receive the proceeds of the sale of his Oshawa home. It sold in March 2020 for approximately $430,000.

She was also entitled to other financial assets under the estate.

As for Mitch, the will stated he would receive only $30,000. It also indicated that if he tried to challenge the will, he would be cut out entirely.''

"None of us were surprised he could have done this," she told CBC News.

She said Lapa was intelligent but abusive.

She described how Lapa once invited people over to the family home for a party, then shot fireworks at them later that night.''

''A young woman at the party was badly burned as a result, she said.''

''She said Lapa was a "disgusting person" who often bullied or victimized others violently.''

"He started getting creepy and weird," she said.''

Snippets, lengthy article.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/oshawa-killings-mitch-lapa-will-1.5717857
Sept 11 2020 rbbm.
''The man suspected of wounding his sister, fatally shooting her husband and three of their kids inside their Oshawa, Ont., home last week, was all but left out of his father's will, according to court documents obtained by CBC News.

Instead, Mitch Lapa's sister Loretta Traynor and her children were the beneficiaries of almost all of her late father's estate.''

''Before his death in 2019, Matthew Lapa made it clear in his will that his son Mitch would not receive much of his wealth.

The will was signed on Sept. 25, 2015. It makes no mention of why his son wouldn't benefit the way his daughter would.''

''After he died in January 2019, his will also stated she and her four children would receive the proceeds of the sale of his Oshawa home. It sold in March 2020 for approximately $430,000.

She was also entitled to other financial assets under the estate.

As for Mitch, the will stated he would receive only $30,000. It also indicated that if he tried to challenge the will, he would be cut out entirely.''

"None of us were surprised he could have done this," she told CBC News.

She said Lapa was intelligent but abusive.

She described how Lapa once invited people over to the family home for a party, then shot fireworks at them later that night.''

''A young woman at the party was badly burned as a result, she said.''

''She said Lapa was a "disgusting person" who often bullied or victimized others violently.''

"He started getting creepy and weird," she said.''

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone has seen anything posted about the eldest brother Chris Lapa? I’ve been following this terrible tragedy but the only place I’ve really seen his name mentioned was in the Fathers obituary that was posted on one of the threads. Was he a beneficiary of the Fathers will? This article only notes the two younger siblings....

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/funeral-traynor-family-oshawa-1.5721891
''Funeral arrangements have been announced for the four family members who were slain in their Oshawa, Ont., home earlier this month.

The Oshawa Funeral Home says on its website that a drive past visitation for Chris Traynor, his sons Bradley and Joey and his daughter Adelaide, will held on Sept. 16 at 10 a.m. A private funeral and interment will be held the following day.''

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone has seen anything posted about the eldest brother Chris Lapa? I’ve been following this terrible tragedy but the only place I’ve really seen his name mentioned was in the Fathers obituary that was posted on one of the threads. Was he a beneficiary of the Fathers will? This article only notes the two younger siblings....
Welcome to Ws NewSleuth77!
Cannot recall reading anything about the will and the older brother CL, only that he and his sister, LL, have a good relationship, imo.
'DEVASTATING': Childhood friend claims one of Oshawa shooting survivor's brothers 'unstable' | Toronto Sun
''The friend said Loretta and her other brother Christopher had a stable relationship''.

upload_2020-9-17_19-57-10.jpeg
“Mother and son bravely and powerfully spoke about husband and father Chris, 50, and Sam’s siblings and Loretta’s children Bradley, 20, Adelaide, 15, and Joey 11, in an emotional eulogy at St. Mary of the People Church on Thursday, Sept. 17.

“The happiness that they brought us is greater than any evil and is something I’ll cherish for the rest of my life, let us remember the happiness which with they lived rather than the evil with which they were taken,” Sam told the hundred or so people gathered inside the church, restricted in numbers due to the COVID-19 pandemic.”
'I have lost so many parts of me that made me a better person': Loretta Traynor buries her husband and children

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
musicmusette
Back