Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #27

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kevin MartinVerified account ‏@KMartinCourts 46s46 seconds ago
Gates going to organize evidence into categories. Category 1, the Liknes residence. Category 2, the #Garland farm.

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 1m1 minute ago
"Just because I don't mention some piece of evidence doesn't mean it's not important" Gates says to jurors, use all evidence. #Garland #yyc

Kevin MartinVerified account ‏@KMartinCourts 2m2 minutes ago
Category 3 is the green Ford F-150 and the final category is "other," says Gates. #Garland

Nancy HixtVerified account ‏@NancyHixt 2m2 minutes ago
Gates said he will go through the evidence presented in the #Garland trial: the Liknes home, Garland property, green Ford F150 and "other"

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 2m2 minutes ago
Gates splitting up his instructions into 4 parts. 1st part is Liknes Residence,2nd is #Garland Farm and 3 is Green Ford F150, 4 other #yyc

I'll bet some have them prepared already

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Now I'm trying to remember if it was after the jury is sequestered or if they have to wait for a verdict? I may be mistaken. Anyone know for sure?

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 30s30 seconds ago
Gates tells jurors the opening statement and closing statements are NOT considered evidence. #Garland #yyc

Jordan KanyginVerified account ‏@CTVJKanygin 43s43 seconds ago
"It's your opinion of the evidence that counts," Justice Gates says, not his or lawyers. Deliberations to start this afternoon. #Garland

Bryan LabbyVerified account ‏@CBCBryan 1m1 minute ago
Gates tells jurors it's your opinion of the evidence that counts because you are the judges’s of the facts. #Garland

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 35s35 seconds ago
"do not permit yourself to guess or make up theories... you must not speculate" said Gates. #Garland #yyc

Nancy HixtVerified account ‏@NancyHixt 50s50 seconds ago
Gates tells jury it is their opinion of the evidence that counts when reaching their verdicts in the triple murder trial of Doug #Garland

Meghan GrantVerified account ‏@CBCMeg 54s54 seconds ago
Gates: Crown's opening statemen + Crown & defence closing arguments are not evidence. Evidence is what the witnesses said #Garland

Lucie Edwardson Retweeted Lucie Edwardson
Gates says jurors must rely on evidence from witnesses #Garland #yyc

Kevin MartinVerified account ‏@KMartinCourts 3m3 minutes ago
"You must consider all of the evidence whether I mention it or not," says Gates. #Garland

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 3m3 minutes ago
"Just because I don't mention some piece of evidence doesn't mean it's not important" Gates says to jurors, use all evidence. #Garland #yyc

Nancy HixtVerified account ‏@NancyHixt 44s44 seconds ago
Gates: "you must not speculate" and tells them not to guess or make up theories--can only rely on evidence presented #Garland

Lucas MeyerVerified account ‏@meyer_lucas 51s51 seconds ago
Gates says common sense decision-making is accepted, but jurors cannot speculate with no evidence #Garland #yyc

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 52s52 seconds ago
Gates says law permits him to comment on the facts, but they do not need to agree with him #Garland #yyc

"The evidence doesn't have to answer every question raised in this case," said Gates, adding it'd be unusual to "know everything" #Garland

Meghan GrantVerified account ‏@CBCMeg 1m1 minute ago
Gates: "You, not I, decide what happened in this case..The evidence does not have to answer every question raised in this case" #Garland

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 39s40 seconds ago
"it is a fundamental principal in our country that a person is presumed innocent" until proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt. #Garland #yyc

Ina SidhuVerified account ‏@CTVInaSidhu 47s48 seconds ago
Gates: The presumption of innocence lasts throughout the trial #Garland

Nancy HixtVerified account ‏@NancyHixt 1m1 minute ago
Gates: "you may well be left wondering what happened in the Liknes home and the #Garland farm June 30" into July 2014

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 50s51 seconds ago
1st degree murder, 2nd degree murder and man slaughter are all on the table, said Gates. #Garland #yyc

Now I'm trying to remember if it was after the jury is sequestered or if they have to wait for a verdict? I may be mistaken. Anyone know for sure?

Right after they're sequestered they can publish all the "what the jury didn't hear" articles they want.

Don't you sometimes wish we could all be in the same room in our phones or laptops during the trial? To bad WS doesn't have a fund to fly people in for cases hahah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevin MartinVerified account ‏@KMartinCourts 52s52 seconds ago
"Proof of probable or likely guilt is not enough," says Gates. #Garland

"proof of probably or likely doubt is not enough, if that is where you land you must find him not guilty," said Gates. #Garland #yyc

"Mr. Garland does not have to prove anything," says Gates, adding the onus is on the Crown. #Garland #yyc

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 25s26 seconds ago
"to make your decision you should consider all of the evidence in this trial," said Gates. #Garland #yyc

Lucas MeyerVerified account ‏@meyer_lucas 32s33 seconds ago
Gates says #Garland does not have to prove anything. Onus is on Crown to prove 1st degree murder or included offences of 2nd or manslaughter

"proof beyond a reasonable doubt is much closer to certainty" than probable or likely said Gates. #Garland #yyc

"The crown does not have to prove guilt to absolute certainty" Gates said reminding jury guilt is beyond a reasonable doubt #Garland

"you may believe some, none, or all" of witnesses statements says Gates. #Garland #yyc

"to make your decision you should consider all of the evidence in this trial," said Gates. #Garland #yyc

Don't you sometimes wish we could all be in the same room in our phones or laptops during the trial? To bad WS doesn't have a fund to fly people in for cases hahah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We should meet (locals) after this is over... Drinks!

"Use your collective common sense to decide if a witness knew what they were talking about," says Gates. #Garland #yyc

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 32s32 seconds ago
Gates reminds jurors there is "no magic formula" when deciding how much of a witness' testimony to believe. #Garland #yyc

Nancy HixtVerified account ‏@NancyHixt 37s37 seconds ago
Gates: "Did the witness seem honest? Did the witness have an interest in the outcome of the case?" tells jury to consider all info #Garland

Ina SidhuVerified account ‏@CTVInaSidhu 52s52 seconds ago
Gates: Questions to silently ask yourself: 1. Did the witness seem honest? 2. Did the witness have an interest in outcome in case #Garland

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 45s45 seconds ago
Did the witness say or do something different under cross examination? Any inconsistencies in witness testimony #Garland #yyc

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 49s49 seconds ago
"These factors might help you decide how much or how little you will believe or rely upon a witness" Gates tells jurors. #Garland #yyc

Kevin MartinVerified account ‏@KMartinCourts 51s51 seconds ago
Gates going through ways to assess witnesses. "Did the witness's testimony seem reasonable and consistent." #Garland

Gates: tells jury to look at any inconsistencies in testimony from witnesses--was it a deliberate lie? Was there any explanation? #Garland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member