Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #27

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 1m1 minute ago
#Garland actions after the offence can be used to "support an inference of guilt" says Gates #yyc

Kevin MartinVerified account ‏@KMartinCourts 1m1 minute ago
Crown says #Garland also dismembered and burned bodies and his hard drive. Jurors can consider whether that proves guilt, says Gates.
Guilty!

Yes, I forgot about him sneaking back... He must have gave them a phony reason.. Thanks.
I don't think he gave any reason, I think he exercised his right to remain silent

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Lucas MeyerVerified account ‏@meyer_lucas 28s29 seconds ago

Gates says after the fact evidence is circumstantial, e.g. destroying evidence. #Garland #yyc

huh?

The shoes he was wearing versus the box?

Kevin MartinVerified account ‏@KMartinCourts 43s43 seconds ago
Jurors must consider whether any statement attributed to #Garland help in his defence, judge says.

So i think this refers to his dad saying he was not violent. This is something that "could" help his defence.

Kevin MartinVerified account ‏@KMartinCourts 51s51 seconds ago
To convict #Garland on circumstantial evidence jurors must be satisfied it leads to no other rational conclusion, judge says.
BBM done.

There it is. That is the perfect statement and instruction. I strongly believe there will be 3 guilty verdicts.

There it is. That is the perfect statement and instruction. I strongly believe there will be 3 guilty verdicts.

Yes indeed! Excellent choice of words and clear instruction. I agree 3 counts GUILTY as charged.

Kevin MartinVerified account ‏@KMartinCourts 47s47 seconds ago
Justice Gates' jury charge resuming now. #Garland

Meghan GrantVerified account ‏@CBCMeg 57s57 seconds ago
Jury back in the room now. Judge is through 25 of 80 pages of his instructions #Garland

Kevin MartinVerified account ‏@KMartinCourts 1m1 minute ago
Some evidence can only be admitted for a limited purpose, says Gates. #Garland

Ina SidhuVerified account ‏@CTVInaSidhu 2m2 minutes ago
Justice Gates addressing jury again - about books such as "how to kill" at #garland home - may not infer- Garland is of bad character

Nancy HixtVerified account ‏@NancyHixt 35s35 seconds ago
Gates: tells jury they can't convict #Garland just because they don't like his choice in internet searches/books/think he has bad character

Based on literature (Handbook of poisoning + How to kill, etc) found in #Garland home jurors cannot infer bad character of Garland #yyc

Nancy HixtVerified account ‏@NancyHixt 53s54 seconds ago
Gates: points to hard drive found hidden in #Garland home and books like "Be Your Own Undertaker- How to dispose of a dead body" #Garland

"he is a person of bad character therefor he must have done it...our law does not permit this kind of reasoning" says Gates #Garland

Lucas MeyerVerified account ‏@meyer_lucas 1m1 minute ago
Gates says when it comes to #Garland online searches, this isn't about bad character, that is prohibited reasoning. #yyc

Meghan GrantVerified account ‏@CBCMeg 1m1 minute ago
Gates: You are not here to judge Mr. #Garland on whether or not he is of good or bad character

I'm pretty sure were going to hear about dismemberment being argued out.
Yes, I believe that the Crown would have liked to have someone testify to that but instead had to throw it into the closing. It will have the jury taking a closer look at the photo for sure though.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Not sure exactly what this means but "attributed" wouldn't be statments he made but rather statements others made about him.

I think it may mean statements he made to his family (mother, father, sister. Judgr said those are not considered hearsay)

Kevin MartinVerified account ‏@KMartinCourts 46s46 seconds ago
"It is up to you to determine how much you will rely on these video recordings," Gates says of video evidence in trial. #Garland

Meghan GrantVerified account ‏@CBCMeg 58s58 seconds ago
Gates: Can only consider hard drive searches, books in the context of identity, murderous intent, planning & deliberation #Garland

In terms of video recordings submitted as evidence, Gates says jurors can weigh them as much/little they want. #Garland #yyc

Lucas MeyerVerified account ‏@meyer_lucas 1m1 minute ago
Lucas Meyer Retweeted Lucas Meyer
Gates says when it comes to #Garland online searches, this isn't about bad character, that is prohibited reasoning. #yyc
Gates that evidence can be used for identity, intent #Garland #yyc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member