Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ert-police-launch-new-ground-search-1.2697512
bbm

"Over 200 tips have been received by police so far and investigators say they do have a number of theories as to what happened.

However, none of those are being shared with the public at this point.

"It's still a missing persons investigation," said Staff Sgt. Doug Andrus with the Calgary Police Service's Homicide Unit. "We're hopeful we'll find these individuals and family members alive."

There is still no motive in the case and police say they have no suspects they can name but have identified someone they want to speak with.

If the child was the target, then the parents would have done everything possible to protect him. On the other hand, it sounds like the sleepover was a last minute decision. It doesn't sound likely that someone lingered at the property for the child. That is, if he hadn't decided to spend the night, would the perp follow the mom to her house and then take the child by home invasion there?

Can someone remind me how we know the sleepover was a last minute decision? I seem to recall this as well, but don't remember how we came up with that.

If Alvin and Nathan were observed at the park late, a perp could have thought that Nathan lived with the grandparents. Possibly didn't even know that JO was his mom .. just another visitor leaving at the end of the day. Was JO seen leaving with only the baby, could the perp have known that Nathan was left behind with the grands? Maybe the perp slipped into the house to abduct Nathan and was confronted with the grandparents ... but why take the grandparents? Remove DNA, or could the grands have recognized/identified the abducter?

A perp in a pickup with no room for 3 abductees may have only planned on having Nathan in the truck but things went south on him. He/they then had all night to deal with the unexpected result.

Were they planning to sell every single item in the house during their SALE and literally have no need for a moving truck or storage ? TIA :)
<rsbm>

In a house that size, surely they would have known that not every single item would be sold. They must have had some plan in place for getting rid of whatever was left over. OR, had they in fact hired someone to remove what was left. Say the couches had not sold, who would have helped load them out of the house?

As usual, more questions than answers :(

I just started reading this today and I am not current but can someone who is please help me out. Do Alvin and Kathryn Liknes have other children? Are they local , far away, involved in the search , etc? And has Nathan's mom said anything about the impending move ? If they were to be leaving on the first, I would think there were arrangements , at least tentatively made, for how to get out and move. Were they going to stay in town at a hotel or friends for a few days ? Were they planning to sell every single item in the house during their SALE and literally have no need for a moving truck or storage ? TIA :)
Alvin has 4 kids from a previous marriage and A and K have 2 together. I think they live in Edmonton.

Anyone knows how far from the house does Jeff L. live? Was he planning a visit that morning or was it strictly because he was concerned when his parents didn't answer their phone? When he arrived at the house, he was surprised to see police all over the place. Would no one have contacted him in regards to his missing parents and nephew....if only to ask if he heard from them?

Anyone knows how far from the house does Jeff L. live? Was he planning a visit that morning or was it strictly because he was concerned when his parents didn't answer their phone? When he arrived at the house, he was surprised to see police all over the place. Would no one have contacted him in regards to his missing parents and nephew....if only to ask if he heard from them?

It wasn't their son J who arrived that morning, it was Alvin's brother Cliff. Not sure where he lives.

ETA: IF it's the same CL, canada411 shows an addy that is a 13 min drive down McLeod Trail.

What could be he reasons someone would do this?

*Rob them of the money they made from the estate sale?
*Someone was owed money by he Liknes'?
*The perps wanted Nathan? But if they wanted Nathan, why not go there armed, shoot the grandparents and leave taking him? I don't think the motive was for abducting Nathan. JMO

Why would the perp(s) take all three family members?
*To get rid of evidence. Doesn't make sense though because if one family member was killed, why not leave them behind and just take the living, the deceased cannot talk. As for evidence of blood, it's there regardless of whose it is whether it's the victims or the perp's. I don't think it appears as thought they tried to clean it up. If AL had an upper body wound and was unconscious and was dragged by his arms, the pattern of blood stains/smears is consistent to what we see in the pictures.
*Taking all three living people makes sense as they are witnesses and could possibly ID the perps.
*Ransom? That hasn't happened yet, therefore I don't see it as a possibility. May have been the original plan.

The green truck may have been involved in casing out the house and not necessarily used in transporting the victims. OR it may have no involvement whatsoever. Did the perps use a cube van? This is what I'm speculating. My theory is that a large purchase was made by the perps with the intention of coming back later that night with a moving vehicle but they were not actually interested in their purchase, but to rob the victims of their money made from the weekend sales. While there is speculation the family didn't have much of value, every bit adds up. Example: 100 people purchased items spending $100 each, that equals $10,000. Even half that amount could be very enticing to an evil mind. The perps show up, AL or KL opened the door to them, allowing them into the house to take their purchase which at that point the perps demanded money. AL got into a physical fight with the perps and ended up injured causing him to bleed and become unconscious. The perps then panicked and afraid they could be ID'ed if they just fled the scene, therefore they forced KL and Nathan into back of the moving vehicle. Knowing AL was not critically injured and could come to and ID the perps, they also took him with them, dragging his unconscious body from the house, leaving a blood trail. All three victims were alive when they were forced from the house. I don't believe the perps had a gun, but possible a knife. Otherwise they would have shot all three victims and left leaving the victims behind. This is why LE were hopeful the three are still alive. I suggested the other day that local people should pay attention to any cube/moving type vehicle which seems to be in random or suspicious locations. Here's hoping LE have checked out moving vehicle companies and the people who may have rented such a vehicle over the weekend of the sale. But sadly, if this were the case, the victims in the back of a moving truck which has been abandoned, I don't think someone could last long without food and/or water too many days and especially in the heat and especially if they are critically injured. JMO.

Wow!!
There are currently 99 users browsing this thread. (20 members and 79 guests)

Come aboard folks. You may have theory or information that could be critical in helping to solve this case and returning the three victims to their loved ones. Welcome!

I think follow the money trail, Did someone owe a lot of $$, was there a gambling habit?, life insurance perhaps? any shady dealings in stock market or oil industry? KL had an online website business, did 1 of the clients not get what they paid for in the services that KL offered? Hmm so many questions :( As far as the truck it could be repainted and stripped by now IF it is connected to their disappearances :( But all JMO I hope they are found soon (alive)

If police are re-searching this area, or searching it more thoroughly, could that mean that when the truck was seen in the area, it was making shorts trips between being seen on video?

I just started reading this today and I am not current but can someone who is please help me out. Do Alvin and Kathryn Liknes have other children? Are they local , far away, involved in the search , etc? And has Nathan's mom said anything about the impending move ? If they were to be leaving on the first, I would think there were arrangements , at least tentatively made, for how to get out and move. Were they going to stay in town at a hotel or friends for a few days ? Were they planning to sell every single item in the house during their SALE and literally have no need for a moving truck or storage ? TIA :)

O/T, but SCHMAE!! So glad to see you on this thread!! :loveyou:

What could be he reasons someone would do this?

*Rob them of the money they made from the estate sale?
*Someone was owed money by he Liknes'?
*The perps wanted Nathan? But if they wanted Nathan, why not go there armed, shoot the grandparents and leave taking him? I don't think the motive was for abducting Nathan. JMO

Why would the perp(s) take all three family members?
*To get rid of evidence. Doesn't make sense though because if one family member was killed, why not leave them behind and just take the living, the deceased cannot talk. As for evidence of blood, it's there regardless of whose it is whether it's the victims or the perp's. I don't think it appears as thought they tried to clean it up. If AL had an upper body wound and was unconscious and was dragged by his arms, the pattern of blood stains/smears is consistent to what we see in the pictures.
*Taking all three living people makes sense as they are witnesses and could possibly ID the perps.
*Ransom? That hasn't happened yet, therefore I don't see it as a possibility. May have been the original plan.

The green truck may have been involved in casing out the house and not necessarily used in transporting the victims. OR it may have no involvement whatsoever. Did the perps use a cube van? This is what I'm speculating. My theory is that a large purchase was made by the perps with the intention of coming back later that night with a moving vehicle but they were not actually interested in their purchase, but to rob the victims of their money made from the weekend sales. While there is speculation the family didn't have much of value, every bit adds up. Example: 100 people purchased items spending $100 each, that equals $10,000. Even half that amount could be very enticing to an evil mind. The perps show up, AL or KL opened the door to them, allowing them into the house to take their purchase which at that point the perps demanded money. AL got into a physical fight with the perps and ended up injured causing him to bleed and become unconscious. The perps then panicked and afraid they could be ID'ed if they just fled the scene, therefore they forced KL and Nathan into back of the moving vehicle. Knowing AL was not critically injured and could come to and ID the perps, they also took him with them, dragging his unconscious body from the house, leaving a blood trail. All three victims were alive when they were forced from the house. I don't believe the perps had a gun, but possible a knife. Otherwise they would have shot all three victims and left leaving the victims behind. This is why LE were hopeful the three are still alive. I suggested the other day that local people should pay attention to any cube/moving type vehicle which seems to be in random or suspicious locations. Here's hoping LE have checked out moving vehicle companies and the people who may have rented such a vehicle over the weekend of the sale. But sadly, if this were the case, the victims in the back of a moving truck which has been abandoned, I don't think someone could last long without food and/or water too many days and especially in the heat and especially if they are critically injured. JMO.

Police have surveillance video from neighbours on the street. If there was a van, a cube van, or a moving truck, between 10PM and 10AM, police would be asking for that driver to come forward.

BBM - I just thought of something. I wonder if AL and KL had rented a small moving vehicle/cube van. Had there been one in the driveway prior to their disappearance, that night and possibly used by the perps to take away the victims? You would think if that was the case, LE would put out a BOLO for it. Maybe this is the case but they don't want the perps to know they are on their trail. LE did say that all their vehicles are accounted for but...
Just a thought and MOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member