CANADA Canada- Amanda Antoni, 31, found dead in her basement, considered suspicious but ruled an accidental fall down stairs, Calgary, 26/10/15, *Netflix*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

dotr

Reaction score
Aug 01, 2024
1722647074256.png
Calgary police ultimately ruled Antoni's death accidental, but say there was never a full consensus on that determination. (Courtesy of Netflix)
''Police spent 14 months investigating the incident, which was immediately thought to be suspicious, before ultimately concluding that Antoni's death was accidental — caused, they deduced, by a fall down the stairs.

But on Wednesday, Staff Sgt. Sean Gregson of the Calgary police homicide unit said many questions linger around Antoni's case and continue to plague investigators, family and friends.

"As homicide investigators, it is our duty to seek closure and provide answers to a victim's family … answers without a shadow of a doubt," said Gregson.''

That said, Sweet added there was never a full consensus on the official ruling of Antoni's death, given that so much was left unexplained.
For example, there was evidence that Antoni had been struck by a piggy bank which was found at the top of the stairs to the basement; ceramic shards from the object were found around Antoni's body. A chair was also left upturned in the main floor.''

The fourth Netflix season features five episodes, each examining a disturbing cold case. It’s currently the most popular show on the streamer on the US, UK and Canada, according to Flixpatrol.
The most unnerving of the lot is episode two, Body in the Basement. This digs into the case of Amanda Antoni.
In 2015 this young woman’s body was found in her basement. One of the investigating officers described it as “the bloodiest scene I’d ever walked in on.”

Came here thinking there might be more and better details on the case. I feel like these crime shows often leave out or downplay certain elements to enhance the "mysterious" narrative. Alas... I don't see anything else available.

Based on the evidence the show provided, I'm going to have to agree her death is most likely the result of a horrible accident.

My take:

Husband away and finally has a night to herself. Headache. Puts on the fancy panties. Gets really high. Talking on phone. Trips (maybe over the dog). Crashes into piggy bank with head and rolls down stairs. Badly injured. Disoriented. At times unconscious. Never able to gather herself enough to make it out of basement and dies of blood loss.

Phone was simply tossed at she lost balance. Tipped over chair in kitchen is unrelated to her death.

'Jul 10, 2024 #CrimeBeat #GlobalNews #unsolvedmysteries
People from around the world will get a deep dive into a Calgary woman’s puzzling 2015 death when it’s featured on Unsolved Mysteries later this month.Amanda Antoni’s body was discovered by her husband in her Castleridge home nearly nine years ago.Investigators initially deemed the 31-year-old’s death suspicious and said there were signs of violence in the home, but a year later police switched course and said she died after falling down the stairs.“My gut is still telling me there’s more to it,” Antoni’s brother, Darrell Hogg, said. “There’s still a lot of stuff they can’t answer.”Hogg said he and his family are now hoping the episode will generate new tips in his sister’s death.“I guess we’ll do our best not to get our hopes up, but at the same time we’re excited to see what comes out of this,” he said. “There’s still some hope that we’ll get to the bottom of what did happen.”The Calgary Police Service (CPS) is remaining tight lipped about the episode but said in a statement: “While we are unable to comment on specific details until the Unsolved Mysteries episode has been released, we remain committed to seeking answers and the pursuit of justice for all Calgarians.”

Came here thinking there might be more and better details on the case. I feel like these crime shows often leave out or downplay certain elements to enhance the "mysterious" narrative. Alas... I don't see anything else available.

Based on the evidence the show provided, I'm going to have to agree her death is most likely the result of a horrible accident.

My take:

Husband away and finally has a night to herself. Headache. Puts on the fancy panties. Gets really high. Talking on phone. Trips (maybe over the dog). Crashes into piggy bank with head and rolls down stairs. Badly injured. Disoriented. At times unconscious. Never able to gather herself enough to make it out of basement and dies of blood loss.

Phone was simply tossed at she lost balance. Tipped over chair in kitchen is unrelated to her death.
Unfortunately, that's the way I'm leaning too. I do wonder why the dog didn't go check on her after she fell.

Maybe the dog got super startled and scared by all the commotion? Not sure if that “fear” would last a day plus though.
someone online suggested that the strong smell of all the blood may have deterred the dog. i would think most dogs might be 'enticed' by blood b/c theyre omnivores but its possible this dog found it overwhelming.

Sorry long post...

To be fair I haven't watched the Netflix show yet BUT I did discuss this crime on another forum however I am foggy but it's coming back to me... I will watch the Netflix as it sounds like there is information maybe not known before?

I cannot wrap my head around an accident for this for these reasons:

1. Weren't the stairs carpet? Sorry I can't recall where I read this, I will look for MSM as I am foggy

2. Her pants pulled down: I do not see this happening from a fall, no way. And the different underwear, what are the odds? I almost feel like she was set up maybe expecting "company" but someone else came and tricked her online perhaps. Someone who was close to her husband? She wanted a divorce. Pants pulled down could be to humiliate her or send a message, especially if no SA - this to me is to embarrass her or something

3. The piggy bank/head wound: I don't see how this is possible at all. I look around my house at things like that. You would need a forceful strong impact to break an object. I don't think a fall would be enough force.

Theory: Maybe someone posed as someone else online and was invited over. Dog actually recognized person so barked but settled once person got inside. No other DNA - do we know if no foreign DNA has been specified? If someone had been to the house in the past, the DNA would be there already so not a stranger.

The person could have grabbed her by the hair and smashed her head with force into the piggy bank, pushed her down the stairs. Waited upstairs for her to pass maybe (reason she didn't come up knowing the person was still up there and reason the animals didn't go down because they were prevented.

So little DNA from anyone else really to contaminate scene since the killer really didn't touch anything or was there before. Thinking out loud, JMO MOO

I watched the episode about Amanda yesterday. I was shocked by the amount of blood in the basement. First I thought no way this is accidental but eventually after hearing all the facts Im leaning towards accident.

I think the chair in the kitchen is unrelated to her death and was on the floor for a while. While I agree that the dog not going to check on her is a bit odd but then maybe the dog went to check on her but stood on the stairs and didn’t come close to her for some reason. Its hard to predict how a dog would behave in certain situations.

I forgot or not sure if it was mentioned in the episode, were the doors to the basement open?

2. Her pants pulled down: I do not see this happening from a fall, no way. And the different underwear, what are the odds? I almost feel like she was set up maybe expecting "company" but someone else came and tricked her online perhaps. Someone who was close to her husband? She wanted a divorce. Pants pulled down could be to humiliate her or send a message, especially if no SA - this to me is to embarrass her or something

3. The piggy bank/head wound: I don't see how this is possible at all. I look around my house at things like that. You would need a forceful strong impact to break an object. I don't think a fall would be enough fforce
(snipped by me)
I've seen speculation that the pants being down werent due to the fall, but rather her struggle and wiggling while bleeding out. LE mentioned she struggled for quite a while and even got up and walked briefly. The type of pants is most important imo. skinny jeans?? yea thats suspicious. pajamas or lounge pants? I could definitely see those slipping.
As for the undies, I wonder if she was just running out of undies since it was laundry day and grabbed a random fancier one? Wonder if they checked her bedroom to see what other pairs were left over.

As for the piggybank, I can definitely believe falling forward and cracking it with your head could break it. Piggybanks are designed to be broken, usually with a hammer, but all it needed when i had a pg was a light tap. ceramic or porcelain are very easily broken (still peeved because i dropped a plate in the sink today and it shattered :rolleyes:)

From Netflix show - I don't think there was a door on the stairway down to the basement. There were a couple of stairs that made a 90 degree turn and the rest went straight down. Don't recall if there was carpet - but I think the fatal wound was the piggy bank/head and the rest of the injuries were bruises that biomechanical experts determined could have been caused by a fall down the stairs vs. a beating.

The piggy bank was found on a ledge that was horizontal on the wall leading down the stairs. If one was walking down the stairs, I think it would've been on the 2nd/3rd stair and about knee high. It appeared the piggy bank had been pushed back into the wall (there was a dent) with some force. I think the working theory is AA fell into it, her head impacting, breaking it and pushing it back into the wall - while she tumbled down the stairs.

The pants thing wasn't terribly well-described other than I think they said they were down to about her knees - but even that description you can imagine in a variety of ways. Are we talking about loose pajamas? Maybe the result of simply struggling on the floor or the fall. I think the biggest problem with it being something done by an attacker is the lack of any evidence of another person in the basement.

They didn't elaborate on the amount of marijuana in her system. If an accident, this could certainly be a contributing factor in both causing the accident and her efforts to recover after the fall.

The dog not going downstairs seems odd, but I don't think there is evidence of anything other than it just didn't go there. The husband didn't report the dog being contained in any way when he returned home.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaexo21
Back