CANADA Canada - Ariel Jeffrey Kouakou, 10, Montreal, 12 March 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been following this case and sad to see that this beautiful child is still missing. While logic tells us the probability of him being in the river is high, I still can't help but side with the father in that all other possibilities should be exhausted as well. I would like to hear that LE did a thorough study of any known sexual offenders who work or live in close proximity to where the child disappeared. It does seem as if there is tunnel vision on just the one theory.
I pray answers come soon. A miracle would be nice, wouldn't it.

Yesterday I spoke to someone who had worked at Hydro Quebec and he said that the hydro power station on the Riviere des Prairies screens 100 % of the water flow. This is an actually an 'up' side to this case because in other areas of the St Laurent river system a body can pass all the way out to sea without a hurdle.
The HQ worker said that there are screening grills and flow detection systems as well as manual under water checks. He was adamant that if Ariel fell through the ice he will one day turn up in the 7km stretch of water between the Parc des Bateliers and the power station... but he also emphasized that the river is filled with all kinds of debris that could potentially snag a body underwater such as felled trees, bicycles, parts of boats, fencing etc. He has known of drownings where people know that there is a body in the water and it hasn't surfaced for months and months.
Such a difficult un-knowing for the family and I understand needing to continue to pursue the other possible scenarios for as long as it takes...

Last edited:
eucalyptuz, thank you for that information on the complete screening at the hydro station. It is a relief to know that, although the river debris could present a problem.

We know the police canvassed the area going door to door, but as noted by rosesfromangels, I don't figure they spent the extensive hours and manpower required to interview and check alibis of the (probably hundred-plus) registered sex offenders within a two mile radius. I wonder if they even followed up on the hundreds (600?) of tips from the public. If Jeffrey's body is never found in the river, starting from the beginning will be a daunting and less successful task. moo

eucalyptuz, thank you for that information on the complete screening at the hydro station. It is a relief to know that, although the river debris could present a problem.

We know the police canvassed the area going door to door, but as noted by rosesfromangels, I don't figure they spent the extensive hours and manpower required to interview and check alibis of the (probably hundred-plus) registered sex offenders within a two mile radius. I wonder if they even followed up on the hundreds (600?) of tips from the public. If Jeffrey's body is never found in the river, starting from the beginning will be a daunting and less successful task. moo

Yes, I agree that they have probably not checked hundreds of alibis of all RSO in QC, but I do think they have done their due diligence in the house-to-house and have probably examined all footage: in and out of the park, from the garage, the restaurant etc for the entire time from morning to night. I think they have a pretty concise picture of all of the individuals/vehicles in and out of the area as well as the residents of houses adjoining the park.

The thing about LE in Canada is that they play their cards very close to the chest. We don't know what they have and haven't done, or what they are continuing to do. For all we know there are wire-taps, under-cover operations, etc. Usually we don't find out the extent of investigations until after a arrest and sometimes not until trial. I don't think they have closed this case as a drowning and I guess none of us can...

Police seek witness in Kouakou disappearance

Montreal police are hoping to locate a young woman who may have been the last person to see 10-year old Ariel Jeffrey Kouakou.

Kouakou was last seen March 12 after he left his home in Ahuntsic-Cartierville to play at a friend's home.

Late Thursday investigators announced they would like to speak with a woman, who was seen smoking a cigarette in Parc des Bateliers on the shore of Rivière-des-Prairies between 11 a.m. and 11: 30 a.m. that day.

A police department spokesman says the main theory in the case is that the boy drowned, but information the woman may be able to provide could help in the search.

Divers went into the water over a period of several days in May.

Montreal police are hoping to locate a young woman who may have been the last person to see 10-year old Ariel Jeffrey Kouakou.

Kouakou was last seen March 12 after he left his home in Ahuntsic-Cartierville to play at a friend's home.

Late Thursday investigators announced they would like to speak with a woman, who was seen smoking a cigarette in Parc des Bateliers on the shore of Rivière-des-Prairies between 11 a.m. and 11: 30 a.m. that day.

A police department spokesman says the main theory in the case is that the boy drowned, but information the woman may be able to provide could help in the search.

Divers went into the water over a period of several days in May.
Wow ! How did this come about, 3 months after he disappeared?
<modsnip social media rumor>

Last edited by a moderator:
The above article is dated June 15, and notes that divers searched two weeks ago. I am getting a sickening feeling that Jeffrey might not have drowned in that river.

"Divers have repeatedly searched the river for Kouakou's body. They conducted a search most recently as two weeks ago, but, Lafrenière said, nothing was found."

I wonder if the original female witness gave police the information that has lead to this new appeal? She would have been asked by LE about other people she saw in the park that day...and maybe all others have come forward except for the smoking woman? Or are police following the FB group and taking a cue from them? It’s a shame there are no other characteristics mentioned like height, weight, coat color etc

For ease of distinguishing the now plural female witnesses should we go for ‘woman with dog’ and ‘smoking woman’?

Video of someone walking through the path from the green container.

She found a ball, a path with broken branches leading towards a house.

She also mentions that there was a witness that was at the park between 11:30 and 11:45 who has already testified to the cops. He is part of the Ariel facebook group. At this time
is where the witness was walking to take pictures, between the path and the shore.

Apparently there was also a woman who was smoking at the picnic tables.

Not sure how to link the post from facebook but this is what she wrote :

Hi, I took this video in the park in summary of the route Ariel could have taken and with the timeline of a group member.
I failed to mention that the lady who smokes left to the projects around 11 h35- 11 H36. We believe we found her. The cops weren't interested in the park ball. I put the video on Youtube because I couldn't figure out how to post it right here.
cache.php
&#65533;&#65533;
The witness then headed to the bridge by the trail of the shore, to trace the trail to the contenair where he arrived at 11 H41. He did not see Ariel.

Just reposting this.

1. Frederick Kouakou went to the police station to report his son missing; he was told to go back home and call 911
  2. Reseau Enfant Retour tried to get in contact with the family; when they finally reached LE, after hours of efforts, they were told their help wasn't needed
  3. An Amber alert was issued after 3 pm, March 13... more than 28 hours after Ariel was last seen
  4. The Amber alert was lifted a couple of hours later, but, they said, the search was still on... eveyone got confused
  5. LE asked a woman who spoke to the little guy at 2pm to come forward... Oups, she actually spoke to him at 11:25
  6. A private investigator found crucial CCTV footage before LE even started looking
  7. At some point, the lead investigator was replaced
  8. At some point, spokesman Ian Lafrenière took over from Pierre Brabant; who knows why.
  9. Now, they're realizing they need to find a witness they were told about in mid-March???

WTH???

Local SPVM police, specialized SPVM and SQ units, RCMP, firefighters etc... Who speaks to who? And how?

(rant over)

Last edited:
As one who has defended police actions and reluctantly yet quickly accepting that he probably met his end in the river, I am shocked that there was a person in the park that they have not accounted for. With LE stating categorically that Ariel “did not leave the park”, I assumed they had the movements and timeframes of all other park-users pegged.
:( This feels like back-pedaling at best, and yes, “negligence” at worst.
I did know of the existance of the FB page but didn’t follow so closely because there were many fast-moving, wild and unmoderated discussions that were hard to track. I remember a poster stating that they were starting a blog but I do not remember them stating that they were in the park that day. Thanks for the heads-up...off to read...

On May 28, the father held a press conference about his petition urging the QC government to create a joint task force specializing in child abductions. He was hoping to gather 20 000 signatures before the end of the parliamentary session on June 11.

"Je respecte la procédure policière, mais avec la lourdeur que cela peut prendre, ça joue sur la vie d’individus" (I respect police procedures, but they can be heavy and affect people's lives)

Course contre la montre pour les parents d’Ariel Kouakou

Again, on June 9:

“If such a unit exists, it’ll ensure the very first minute they can handle the situation and then take action. It can give a quick response and quick results,” Frederic Kouakou said.

Family of Ariel Jeffrey Kouakou petitioning province to form response unit

On Friday, June 15, 4 days after the end of the parliamentary session, SPVM starts looking for the smoking woman. What's with that? JMO

With the new informations speaking to where he's coming from, I'm in awe of the patience and resilience of this man!!! And also heartbroken.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member