Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely agree that it could be hurtful to both Honey and the children for it to be so public.
I presume they had no biological connection at all to Honey, ie not even her eggs used.
Hope the children met their birth mothers.

Doubt they have had any connection with them. Not surprisingly, all three were required to sign non-disclosure agreements (and, I expect, were paid well for their involvement, which may or may not have been legal at the time. It was a pretty unusual arrangement for the times. I found it curious that three different women were involved, and I wonder how they were recruited.)

It would be interesting to know if all the children wanted Greenspan brought into the case.
Certainly seems to be bad blood between Jonathan and Jack Kay.
I’m sure Jack Kay would know the dynamics of the Sherman family very well.

Yes he certainly would. Imo it is ridiculous to implicate JK in the murders, and doing so makes me wonder if the motive is deflection away from the real perp(s)

Yes he certainly would. Imo it is ridiculous to implicate JK in the murders, and doing so makes me wonder if the motive is deflection away from the real perp(s)

Equally ridiculous to finger D'Angelo, who had nothing to gain and everything to lose by the murders. As, it would now seem, did HS's sister and her husband.

Absolutely agree that it could be hurtful to both Honey and the children for it to be so public.
I presume they had no biological connection at all to Honey, ie not even her eggs used.
Hope the children met their birth mothers.

I always wondered if maybe they used her sister's eggs, or why would they not use Honey's ? Perhaps science was not that advanced yet. It is possible Barry chose women who had very high IQs to be the biological mothers. I remember Honey's sister saying on tv, at the funeral service, how much she loved Honey's and Barry's children. Maybe she was trying to keep on good terms with them because of the looming financial problems for her if they did not honour Honey's promise to loan/give her 300 million. IMO

I always wondered if maybe they used her sister's eggs, or why would they not use Honey's ? Perhaps science was not that advanced yet.

Jonathon is about 40. IFV - required to use donor eggs - was in its infancy at the time likely not widely available or reliable.

Equally ridiculous to finger D'Angelo, who had nothing to gain and everything to lose by the murders. As, it would now seem, did HS's sister and her husband.

Agreed!

I always wondered if maybe they used her sister's eggs, or why would they not use Honey's ? Perhaps science was not that advanced yet. It is possible Barry chose women who had very high IQs to be the biological mothers. I remember Honey's sister saying on tv, at the funeral service, how much she loved Honey's and Barry's children. Maybe she was trying to keep on good terms with them because of the looming financial problems for her if they did not honour Honey's promise to loan/give her 300 million. IMO

Interesting thought- if MS provided the eggs maybe that's the basis for the 300 million?

Interesting thought- if MS provided the eggs maybe that's the basis for the 300 million?

Yes, I agree. Honey may have only agreed if she could raise children who had a strong biological link to her. I have heard many women, and even men say that they could not adopt because they would not feel the child was really theirs .If using eggs from another woman in a surrogate was not possible 40 years ago, it is also possible that Mary, the sister of Honey, took some nice vacations in some very posh places elsewhere in the world, and delivered the children there for Honey and Barry. I know it is quite a common practice for couples with fertility problems, but kept quiet, to use a brother's, or even father's sperm, or have a sister give birth who has been inseminated with her sister's husband's sperm. I have read that some families have done this repeated times, and usually it is kept secret. The fact that Honey was seen so much in public probably made it obvious that she was not the mother of the last 3 children, and so they may have deliberately spread the story about the surrogates to keep the real story private. This is also a Jewish family, and family genetics would be I think especially important to them. Could there be any family dna evidence in those sealed court documents ? Knowing Barry, I bet he demanded dna proof no matter who the mothers were. IMO

Plus, something I must say I wondered about (and which is likely insignificant) - the younger three were BS's biological children, not HS's. (Surrogacy was still pretty rare back then, and I don't think in vitro fertilization was well-developed. Three different surrogates from three different US states were involved; they all gave birth in Canada. ) It always struck me as odd that BS was so candid about this whole matter with their friends & associates. If I were HS, who had suffered many miscarriages, this could have been hurtful, and perhaps also was for the kids.

Doubt they have had any connection with them. Not surprisingly, all three were required to sign non-disclosure agreements (and, I expect, were paid well for their involvement, which may or may not have been legal at the time. It was a pretty unusual arrangement for the times. I found it curious that three different women were involved, and I wonder how they were recruited.)

Jonathon is about 40. IFV - required to use donor eggs - was in its infancy at the time likely not widely available or reliable.

Random thoughts:

If egg-donor was a relative, one might expect that all 3 of them would be from the same donor?

Perhaps using 3 different donors lessened the risk that the donor may lay claim to the child/ren at birth or in future?

RSBM, RBBM
From an earlier article:

Casually he informed me that Lauren, his oldest daughter, is his wife’s only “natural” child. Honey suffered several miscarriages after her birth. When it looked as if they couldn’t have more children, they decided against adoption and opted for surrogacy. As a committed Darwinian, he naturally favoured the preservation of his genetic material. In the early 1980s, surrogacy had just become an option in the U.S. It’s likely that his son, Jonathon, was the first child in Canada born to a surrogate mother. “It worked fine.”

How Barry Sherman built his multibillion-dollar fortune

Last edited:
I have read The Billionaire Murders. (I read fast, plus couldn't put it down.) As a longtime true crime reader, I have to say it is excellent. A lot of research, but what impresses me most is that he manages to humanize both BS and HS. Both had lifelong and loyal friendships, which I think speaks well of them. He obviously can't disclose his own theory of who may have been responsible (nor can we speculate here), but if I read between the lines correctly, I thought it was pretty clear what he thinks. BTW - they actually had two homes on the market, the other in Forest Hill (Toronto), and intended to live in whichever hadn't sold until the new one was built. (If this was reported previously, I missed it.)
Can you expand upon this other property the Shermans had on the market in Forest Hill at the same time? From memory, I recall early posts about there being a 'condo' which the couple were going to move into if their Old Colony Road property was sold before their new home (in Forest Hill) was built. Recently I read that police only searched two of their properties, one in Florida. One might expect that if the couple owned three properties, all three would have been searched? Plus, I haven't read a word about this third property in MSM at all, IIRC. Finding this info a bit confusing! TIA!

The idea that a conversation turned bad seems unlikely.

If the person who killed them knew the couple well then they would engage in phone calls and texts with them about their visit. It was cold that night and the person would have driven over if they were expected even if they lived very close. Thus, they and the car would be on video arriving and leaving from the house. Texts saying "we're still meeting tonight?" would be sent or at least phone calls would be made.

I think Donovan thinks the Thursday visitor was someone up to no good since he says that the killer knew no one was expected at the house Thursday. That wouldn't have been important unless he thinks someone came over Thursday.

Can you expand upon this other property the Shermans had on the market in Forest Hill at the same time? From memory, I recall early posts about there being a 'condo' which the couple were going to move into if their Old Colony Road property was sold before their new home (in Forest Hill) was built. Recently I read that police only searched two of their properties, one in Florida. One might expect that if the couple owned three properties, all three would have been searched? Plus, I haven't read a word about this third property in MSM at all, IIRC. Finding this info a bit confusing! TIA!

The Forest Hill house was mentioned in the book just in passing. I had the sense they never occupied it. If I recall correctly, the plan may have been to demolish and rebuild, but that lot was too small for the "mansion" HS wanted.

Yes, I agree. Honey may have only agreed if she could raise children who had a strong biological link to her. I have heard many women, and even men say that they could not adopt because they would not feel the child was really theirs .If using eggs from another woman in a surrogate was not possible 40 years ago, it is also possible that Mary, the sister of Honey, took some nice vacations in some very posh places elsewhere in the world, and delivered the children there for Honey and Barry. I know it is quite a common practice for couples with fertility problems, but kept quiet, to use a brother's, or even father's sperm, or have a sister give birth who has been inseminated with her sister's husband's sperm. I have read that some families have done this repeated times, and usually it is kept secret. The fact that Honey was seen so much in public probably made it obvious that she was not the mother of the last 3 children, and so they may have deliberately spread the story about the surrogates to keep the real story private. This is also a Jewish family, and family genetics would be I think especially important to them. Could there be any family dna evidence in those sealed court documents ? Knowing Barry, I bet he demanded dna proof no matter who the mothers were. IMO

The children were definitely born in Canada. I have no idea how things like birth certificates work for surrogate children, and whether Honey would have needed to adopt them. Probably, there is documentary evidence somewhere (maybe sealed.) I suppose the three-surrogate story could be fictional, but I didn't have the sense KD questioned it.

The idea that a conversation turned bad seems unlikely.

If the person who killed them knew the couple well then they would engage in phone calls and texts with them about their visit. It was cold that night and the person would have driven over if they were expected even if they lived very close. Thus, they and the car would be on video arriving and leaving from the house. Texts saying "we're still meeting tonight?" would be sent or at least phone calls would be made.

I think Donovan thinks the Thursday visitor was someone up to no good since he says that the killer knew no one was expected at the house Thursday. That wouldn't have been important unless he thinks someone came over Thursday.

IIRC, chief Saunders said police spoke to that person already.

The children were definitely born in Canada. I have no idea how things like birth certificates work for surrogate children, and whether Honey would have needed to adopt them. Probably, there is documentary evidence somewhere (maybe sealed.) I suppose the three-surrogate story could be fictional, but I didn't have the sense KD questioned it.

I believe they were born to surrogates from the USA. That was in a Toronto Star/Toronto Life article ages ago.

The US was the first country in N. America to legalize surrogacy and Barry used that law to have other children.

Last edited:
I suspect the surrogate mothers were the biological mothers for at least the earlier children.
IVF must have been in its infancy, think it far more likely it was simply the old turkey basting trick.
After all it was those great genes of Barrys that needed to be preserved. (Sarcasm)

The Supreme Court of Canada has granted the Leave for Appeal and therefore has agreed to hear the case of:
Estate of Bernard Sherman and the Trustees of the Estate, et al. v. Kevin Donovan.

This means the Supreme Court of Canada will review the lower appeal court’s decision to unseal the Sherman Estate files.

Estate of Bernard Sherman and the Trustees of the Estate, et al. v. Kevin Donovan - SCC Cases (Lexum)

I guess perhaps we will never know the truth here. I certainly hope the SCOC upholds the appeal court ruling.
It’s ridiculous imo- everyone knows who the trustees and beneficiaries are already, and the details of the will have been generally speculated about already. . There is clearly something else in the documents, something specific, that the family vehemently does not want to be made public.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crimecat8