Found Deceased CANADA - Ben Kilmer, 41, Cowichan, 16 May 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
We need more people here on this thread. I would like to read about the take that many other people have on this case! I love the points others have made so far....we simply need more input.

I’m reading, but I don’t have much to add at the moment.

Except: it does remind me of a local case of which I have first hand knowledge, a few years back. MC was eventually found safe, the day after searches were suspended, a couple of hundred yards *outside* the search perimeter (which was - IIRC- a ~5km square around where her car was found.
SQ searches for missing woman north of Montreal

Note that there’s an error in the linked article: the car wasn’t in the ditch, it was on the side of the road, very much like Ben’s vehicle.

We searched for 5 days.

If I were searching, I’d be looking for water sources, and any hunting hides/shacks etc in the area.

While I am definitely not an expert, I would find it shocking if there was no evidence left behind in a bear attack. I'm just not believing this scenario.

I hope that's a good thing. I was just thinking about LayzeeDayzee's post and it made me wonder if there were any animals that might have been attracted to the scent of blood, and that made me wonder about the bears being marked on the map. In LayzeeDayzee's suggested scenario, a pond in the trees is likely to be used for drinking water for wildlife, and add in the blood and a hungry defensive-postured animal it seems like there's a potential for conflict.

What do we know?

- Ben went to a job in the morning and then returned the keys (related to the job) was last seen at 10:23 at Stone Pacific Contracting. It's located on Tansor Rd, on the south side of Hwy 18. He was caught on camera there.
- Ben's Norpac work van was seen sitting on the side of Lake Cowichan Rd, near Menzies, with the door opened. It apparently was left there between 11:00 and 12:00. His personal belongings were found inside. His phone was smashed.
- So, for the sake of argument, 45 - 60 minutes passed between leaving Stone Pacific and the van stopping on Lake Cowichan Rd.
- The distance between where the van was found and where he dropped off the keys, as the crow flies, is only about 1 km. Three-quarters of the way toward Stone Pacific Contracting is a pond (see Sankira Springs Farm on google maps, which abuts to the Stone Pacific property).
- The search dogs followed his trail to a pond, and lost it there.

Ok, so we don't know if it was Ben's blood.
But we know it was his phone that was smashed.
If it wasn't for the blood (whoever it belongs to) the smashed phone and the van running, I would think that perhaps he needed a break and walked walked away.
It just seems like he left the vehicle and expected to be right back JMO

Ok, so we don't know if it was Ben's blood.
But we know it was his phone that was smashed.
If it wasn't for the blood (whoever it belongs to) the smashed phone and the van running, I would think that perhaps he needed a break and walked walked away.
It just seems like he left the vehicle and expected to be right back JMO

I’m taking the reports of the “smashed” phone with a grain of salt until LE comments directly about that... There was a comment on an early article/report (which I can no longer find) about this that mentioned the phone might have had a cracked/damaged screen before Ben disappeared. JMO, speculation only, etc.

I might have asked this in an earlier post but where was Ben's van located in relation to his last job (Stone Pacific) and his next scheduled job. If Ben's van was located somewhat in-between the two maybe he was taking a short break until his next job. Someone might have walked up to him when was in the van and some type of confrontation ensued and Ben ran away but just speculating.

There is video of Ben at Stone Pacific but is there video of other persons or vehicles entering or leaving the company's property about the same time period of when Ben was there. Maybe this might not lead to anything but worth a look, its possible Ben was being followed.

Last edited:
I might have asked this in an earlier post but where was Ben's van located in relation to his last job (Stone Pacific) and his next scheduled job. If Ben's van was located somewhat in-between the two maybe he was taking a short break until his next job. Someone might have walked up to him when was in the van and some type of confrontation ensued and Ben ran away but just speculating.

There is video of Ben at Stone Pacific but is there video of other persons or vehicles entering or leaving the company's property about the same time period of when Ben was there. Maybe this might not lead to anything but worth a look, its possible Ben was being followed.

BBM: it’s been mentioned earlier in the thread and in MSM that the van was found ~1km from Stone Pacific. I/we don’t know, I think, where his next scheduled stop should have been.

phone could have caused the blood on his lower face? That's where we hold a phone? I just imagine it exploding against his cheek there, thus explaining the blood allegedly on his face in the photos posted AND the "smashed" phone.

That said, I am not buying it myself... just looking for a simple, easy explanation that leads to Ben coming home...

phone could have caused the blood on his lower face? That's where we hold a phone? I just imagine it exploding against his cheek there, thus explaining the blood allegedly on his face in the photos posted AND the "smashed" phone.

That said, I am not buying it myself... just looking for a simple, easy explanation that leads to Ben coming home...
You have a good point! I thought that he ha been on the receiving end of a hard punch. Noone atvwork or office has commented....Crazy Canucks and polite respect for privacy! The lack of investigation by journalists baffles me too.

You have a good point! I thought that he ha been on the receiving end of a hard punch. Noone atvwork or office has commented....Crazy Canucks and polite respect for privacy! The lack of investigation by journalists baffles me too.

The police aren't talking. And while the Canadian police don't usually talk frequently on cases, they do if they need input from the public.

Normally LE leads the search with the assistance of the SARs and the LE gives search updates . In this case the SARs are updating the media. Strange. I think LE has a strong theory and know a lot more than they are telling...on purpose.

I noticed on the Find Ben Kilmer FB page that the admin said, when asked, that RCMP were aware of "roadblocks" being set up using debris in the Lake Cowichan area.

I have not seen this referred to in the media and I don't know if this is happening currently or if it was back around the time when Ben went missing.

The police aren't talking. And while the Canadian police don't usually talk frequently on cases, they do if they need input from the public.

Normally LE leads the search with the assistance of the SARs and the LE gives search updates . In this case the SARs are updating the media. Strange. I think LE has a strong theory and know a lot more than they are telling...on purpose.

B&UBM: I tend to agree with this, whether this is a case of a tragic (and/or strange) accident, or whether foul play is suspected.

Unless this is a (weird/staged) voluntary disappearance, we’re reaching the extreme outer limits of the possibility of Ben being recovered safe IMO.

Wiest said Canada Post employees helped arrange for letter carriers to voluntarily deliver about 30,000 missing persons flyers to businesses and residences in the Duncan area. Carmanah Pizza and Panago Pizza in Duncan are sending out flyers with every pizza delivery. And at least six printing and copy companies on the South Island have donated thousands of free posters.

She estimates that there are now about 60,000 posters, flyers, billboards and banners across the province — most of those on Vancouver Island.

Nobody, she said, has asked for recognition. “They’re just saying, ‘How can we help?’

60,000 posters! It's great to see the community come together.

Question I would still like answered: Which way was Ben's van pointing? Was it away from town or towards town?

OK, I have another one: Where was Ben between the time he dropped off the keys at Stone Pacific and the time his van was pulled over on the side of the road? There was a time gap as the two places aren't far apart and it was confirmed that his vehicle wasn't abandoned on Lake Cowichan road until at least 45 minutes later, possibly up to an hour and 40 minutes later. Did he stop for a bite to eat or a coffee? Did he head to a job? did he stop by the house he was building to check on the trades people?

Why was the vehicle left running?
Some possibilities:
The dogs lost the scent quickly because there was a vehicle transfer and ben was taken elsewhere. The person(s) were in such a hurry to not be seen left vehicle running.

The vehicle was ditched at this location after Ben has been disposed of. A second car waiting, vehicle left on due to the quick transfer.

I am running on the assumption that is against the logic that Ben is in the skutz falls area hiking. 1) i hike in that area all the time and I am never compelled to park extremely far away, leave my cell phone, and vehicle running.
2.) A psychic made a sketch that resembles most of the entire cowichan area - why assume it is skutz area.

Back to the two suggestions as to why vehicle running.

IF ben was taken between the time he was last seen and vehicle discovered and he had been disposed of between that time, this implicates a few things.
1.) A geographic boundary which encapsulates many remote areas
2.) there was likely not a monetary motive if wallet found
3.) personal - why.

with in the geographic boundary, there are some key areas which would not require one to be seen with a "hostage"
1.) logging roads behind lake cowichan
more risky
1.) mount prevost
2.) youbou/nitnat -

Does ben's wife have access to his social media and email accounts, anything suspicious? Does he owe anyone money- the regular slew of forensic file questions - girlfriend, insurance ets. take his sim and put it in a phone ............

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spicytaco46
Back