Found Deceased CANADA - Ben Kilmer, 41, Cowichan, 16 May 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
But would someone check in on a job site (part of their work duties) minutes before committing suicide?

Where did you find info that he checked a job site before going missing? Also is there any other details you could share that happened right before going missing? Thanks. Feel like I’m getting all kinds of info but hard to piece it together

Unfortunately I am starting to lean toward the suicide scenario. Ben and his family seem lovely. Perhaps he bit off more than he could chew and the weight of letting his family down was simply too much.

I guess I'm hoping he ran off to escape his life, because that is the most likely scenario that would result in him being alive. But, I'm just not feeling it.

Sigh.
All I can think about is his family and what they are going through. They don't deserve this pain.

Sigh.

ETA: On further thought...If Ben was committing suicide, why hasn't he been found? Is that why the family has been focused on Skullz Falls area?...because he liked that area? Did he walk and wander while trying to decide what to do? Where is Ben?? :(

I was wondering the same about the skulz falls area. Then I came across this post I’ll attach below. It seems the area this man recommended was taken very seriously maybe ?

Below is what he posted then I posted the area he suggested and where skulz is relative to it

Attachments

• 38F755EE-6B37-41C2-B77A-E1E921C3E412.png
    38F755EE-6B37-41C2-B77A-E1E921C3E412.png
    580.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 677E24DC-7538-4765-BFEE-92AB27B9073D.jpeg
    677E24DC-7538-4765-BFEE-92AB27B9073D.jpeg
    228.9 KB · Views: 46
ETA: On further thought...If Ben was committing suicide, why hasn't he been found? Is that why the family has been focused on Skullz Falls area?...because he liked that area? Did he walk and wander while trying to decide what to do? Where is Ben?? :(

RSBM for focus

An admin post on Ben’s Find FB page:

“WHAT TO LOOK FOR:
1. Footprints leading off a trail into a conspicuous location (into thick forest),

2. Look near water sources (likely running, creeks, stream, rivers), will be very important as Ben would have needed water on many occasions,

3. **In crevices, caves, near where land may have given out.
We believe that Ben would absolutely and without a doubt, make it home if he could. We believe strongly that he has fallen and cannot physically get out. It would have had to have been a place where the ground gave out and he couldn’t have seen this happening on his approach.

[SBM]

**There are still lots of trails where again, we are looking for footprints off the trail and into the bush.

[SBM]” (BBM)

Find Ben Kilmer

While these are all excellent suggestions, I hope the searchers are also looking up, just in case (and my sincere apologies if I offend anyone reading; my only reason for mentioning this is to help find Ben) he decided to take his life by hanging.

I’m sure the trained SAR professionals and volunteers who are helping with the search are already aware, but I’m not so sure about the community volunteers.

Here is a case in which a missing woman’s body was eventually found hanging from a tree in a location that had been searched many times before:

“SAN ANTONIO — Autopsy results released Thursday for Leanne M. Bearden concluded that she hanged herself with clothesline not far from her in-laws' Garden Ridge home from which she'd vanished Jan. 17.

The finding by Central Texas Autopsy of Lockhart backs the suicide conclusion that Garden Ridge Police Chief Donna O'Conner announced Feb. 14. Bearden's body had been found the day before, hanging from a mountain cedar tree in the neighborhood, which had been searched several times in the weeks that followed her disappearance.

‘As a result of that final autopsy report, the case has been closed,’ O'Conner said Thursday after reviewing the document. She said the tree was in a dense bamboo thicket that prevented property owners who had been urged to inspect their acreage from seeing it.”

Autopsy finding of missing woman: suicide (BBM)

Unfortunately, it’s quite possible something similar happened here, especially with Ben being an electrician, he would probably have ready access to items such as electrical cords and cables.

Praying that Ben is found very soon.

Sorry. I misunderstood. I thought you meant he checked another after the surveillance video.
That being said, I’m very curious as to where he was in between when he was on that surveillance camera and when his car was found. It only takes approximately 6 minutes to get from there to where the van was found.
I think the key to all this lies in between that timeframe. Who he may have called or spoke to in particular.

Unfortunately I am starting to lean toward the suicide scenario. Ben and his family seem lovely. Perhaps he bit off more than he could chew and the weight of letting his family down was simply too much.

I guess I'm hoping he ran off to escape his life, because that is the most likely scenario that would result in him being alive. But, I'm just not feeling it.

Sigh.
All I can think about is his family and what they are going through. They don't deserve this pain.

Sigh.

I, too, lean toward suicide as a possibility. Perhaps Ben had a heated and frustrating exchange on the phone with someone, then smashed his phone in anger, cutting himself.

It reminds me a bit of a case I followed last year where a man went missing in Ontario. He was about the same age as Ben, with two kids about the same age as Ben's . He was a very devoted father, and husband that everyone said would never voluntarily leave his family. There was an extensive search that turned up nothing. 5 or 6 months later, his body was found by some hikers. The forensic pathologist and the police said 'no foul play' was suspected. Both family and strangers alike were shocked. This man did wander about on the day he went missing, and he visited a beautiful park in which he always loved camping.

In that case, the fellow was found on someone's private property not far from where his cell had last pinged.

Last edited:

Sigh.

Sigh.

Hi, I’m new. I live on Vancouver Island and for most of us here, this has been pretty upsetting even beyond knowing how awful this must be for family and friends.
There have been a number of missing men over the years and it’s really getting worrisome.
I’m replying to your post about why has no body been found if the worst did happen, because earlier this year there was a body found, a man that had been missing for 10 years. The surrounding areas (beyond the local properties) are thick wilderness and can be difficult to properly search.
Praying all three men are found safe and soon.

Human remains found in Lake Cowichan identified as missing hiker

re post above by IslandGal (Welcome!)

hiker's body found after 10 years missing (Darreld Stanley Rayner) - wow, 10 years later... worth the wait for any family/loved ones to find out what happened, but so sad that sometimes it takes that long (or longer or never, of course...)

From the find page:

“These are the last images taken of Ben -black Whites Diving T-shirt”

6e34ac85ff53e40bd9eccc785ef919c3.jpg

13a0cd8678e7dcb68c0d5d98ee69d038.jpg

Zooming in, does it look like the lower right hand side of half of his face is covered in blood?

6831fbbe2b964275962a1b957072d7b8.jpg

Find Ben Kilmer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so we are aloud to post fb links or no, I'm confused?

And how much blood? Like “I cut my finger” blood, or a significant amount?

I've been told by a SAR source that it wasn't a lot of blood. The van wasn't even towed by RCMP until a few days ago, that alone tells me there wasn't a significant amount of blood, otherwise it would have been taken quite quickly.

I've been told by a SAR source that it wasn't a lot of blood. The van wasn't even towed by RCMP until a few days ago, that alone tells me there wasn't a significant amount of blood, otherwise it would have been taken quite quickly.

Link, please?

Well I don't know what to link, honestly there isn't much on the news that hasn't already been posted, and the last link I provided got deleted:D! I'll try and find one.

I have the link, it was from May 29th from a chat in the family run Find Ben Kilmer FB page, but it was screenshotted and posted on the unofficial Ben Kilmer Disappearance page, which my last link too got deleted.

I'm quite certain the van would have been removed from the roadside as soon as possible just to get it out of the way...and I did see a fb comment from a local saying they saw the van being towed past them that same evening. If police didn't take the van until a few days later then where was it? Police need to keep what's called 'continuity' of any evidence involved in a case. Unless police instructed a tow company to seize it and keep it in a secure bay until they could do more forensics on it....and then they "took" it?
And whether it was a little bit of blood or a lot of blood, that shouldn't dictate whether or not the police thought the scene was suspicious, thus the urgency in seizing it. Any amount of blood would be suspicious. It would be totally negligent on the polices' behalf to only seize the van days later.

Also, there are pictures in the "Find Ben Kilmer" FB group (in the photos section, way down at the beginning of the photos) that show where SAR taped off two specific areas, one with blood (it's the dark tarry substance right next to and on part of that pinecone). The second taped off area is interesting and of concern because it shows an area about the size of a body where the foliage/grasses were disturbed. It almost looks like someone was rolling around on the ground in that one spot. Apparently these taped off areas were discovered about 15 feet or so away from the back of the van, in the woods...supposedly the blood was on a pathway. I cannot provide the sources for this info because it would take me hours to go through everything I have read so far, but both sources were FB and news media reports. I also believe (from what I have researched) that the pond that was drained was within 100 feet (my guestimate) of where the van was found. It is in the yard of that property where the van was, between the road and the house. I am now wondering if they did a very thorough search of the pond. If a dog tracked to the pond yet no body was there did Ben or someone else throw something into the pond???

(Just for info*** Someone had posted here earlier that the pond that was drained was on the property at Sankira Springs farm off of Sahtlam Rd., but I think this is incorrect. I believe the pond in question is the one near where the van was found. That is what I have read and it makes more sense).

Below is a link (copy and paste) of a google map pic of property where the van was found at the end of a driveway. I am not sure, but the civic number of this property is most likely 3975 Lake Cowichan Rd. The pond that was drained is the dark circle between the road and the house.

Google Maps

I am new to this site but I live 5 mins away from where his vehicle was found. On my way home the day of his disappearance I passed an RCMP roadblock on the site where his van was. They waved me through but I did note that this work van was parked on the right hand side of the road . I don't know if this is north,south etc. but it was parked on old lake cowichan road heading towards Lake Cowichan. The Cowichan river is where the search has been focused, not so much in Lake Cowichan. They are searching the lake and Youbou which is the other side of the lake, I think because of all the logging roads in that area. The river is much closer than the lake is too and has lots of trails, cliffs etc . Lake Cowichan is also a town, about a 20 min. drive from here. lots of beach areas as well as treed areas. Sorry you were creeped out! Its a very popular lake with many houses on it, depends on the area. There was mention on a thread from someone about wild animals-I cant find it, but maybe they will read this. The area Ben's vehicle was found has lots of open fields and not forested, treed areas yes. The black bears here are timid-may charge if they have cubs, but the only attack in the past 10 years was in Port Renfrew-other side of the island-by an old bear that wanted his fish. Cougars will stalk and kill but usually at the end of summer when they are starved and usually at the northern part of the island. I am as stumped about this as anyone! I only know that the cops aren't making any statements at all andI think this is why people are making their own speculations and nasty false rumours are spreading.
I don't know anything about that area being known for drug transactions. I'm sure there's many grow-0ps in this area though. the house we bought 12 years ago had been one! Cops are being very quiet about this whole thing though. Very strange-why haven't they made a press statement at all do you think
what do you think about sasquaches

Sigh.

Sigh.

Also, why would someone committing suicide leave his vehicle running unless they wanted to be found-and soon? Makes no sense!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hulet
Back