Found Deceased CANADA - Ben Kilmer, 41, Cowichan, 16 May 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I stepped away briefly from this thread. I'm so disappointed that there is absolutely nothing new. It's like this case has fallen off the face of the earth.

Nothing in the news. Nothing from LE.
Where is Ben? What is going on behind the scenes?

What I find the most puzzling is Ben's disappearance being deemed "non suspicious" by the police. Maybe I don't quite understand the police's definition of "suspicious".

What I find the most puzzling is Ben's disappearance being deemed "non suspicious" by the police. Maybe I don't quite understand the police's definition of "suspicious".

Have you seen that as a direct quote from RCMP? I haven't and wondering when it changed - an early article said: North Cowichan/Duncan RCMP said they are investigating the incident as a "suspicious occurrence."

Police, Cowichan search and rescue crews looking for missing 41-year-old man

'Suspicious' in police terms means there's evidence of a crime that requires investigation, versus a voluntary disappearance, or an accident such getting lost.

Have you seen that as a direct quote from RCMP? I haven't and wondering when it changed - an early article said: North Cowichan/Duncan RCMP said they are investigating the incident as a "suspicious occurrence."

Police, Cowichan search and rescue crews looking for missing 41-year-old man

It was reported in the Star article, but not as a direct quote.
On Vancouver Island, three men go missing and a province wonders why | The Star

I doubt police would actually state that this disappearance is 'not suspicious', until he's been found. However, his case hasn't been transferred to the VI Major Crimes Unit, which would indicate that, at this time, there's nothing to investigate. I would assume that there was forensic testing on the van, the phone, the blood, the scene, and human/animal tracking, and that all that forensic investigation did not reveal any indication of a crime, but, I suspect, instead reconstructed a scenario where Ben left the van by himself. There may have been further evidence shared by his family about his state of mind, or recent events in his life. If so, police won't share any of this with the public because it's private.

Yes very strange the website to find Ben has gone quiet as well. The 2 missing same day from Ucluelet have been identified as the 2 found deceased. Both cases may go cold it is hard to piece them together as to what happened when LE has gone quiet as well. I am not sure if LE on the island can deal with these kinds of cases. There are quite a few missing persons lately and past mysteries as well that have never been solved. Lisa Mari Young, Nanaimo, Lindsay Buziak,Victoria, to name 2 popular cases in the spotlight still that have not been solved, or perhaps said better - no-one has been charged and LE seem to have dropped the ball or just not enough evidence to convict. I think we will end up with 2 more mysteries that will become just that "mysteries" for a long time. It is good that a lot of people are on them right a way and hopefully keep them all in the spotlight. A lot of missing people right now on the island that families need answers to. I think Social Media is the answer for these cases and keeping them under public scrutiny with serious minded people.

I doubt police would actually state that this disappearance is 'not suspicious', until he's been found. However, his case hasn't been transferred to the VI Major Crimes Unit, which would indicate that, at this time, there's nothing to investigate. I would assume that there was forensic testing on the van, the phone, the blood, the scene, and human/animal tracking, and that all that forensic investigation did not reveal any indication of a crime, but, I suspect, instead reconstructed a scenario where Ben left the van by himself. There may have been further evidence shared by his family about his state of mind, or recent events in his life. If so, police won't share any of this with the public because it's private.
RCMP have gone quiet on both missing cases that happened the same day. Not sure why but I think it is because of FB sites and the way information gets distorted or misconstrued. It is very strange for sure. Not sure what the official status is on BK with LE there has been little input from them.

Just pasting from the linked article:
"Police say they consider Daley and Archbald’s disappearance suspicious, but not Kilmer’s."

And this was all reinforced in the RCMP press conference about Archbald/Daley being identified. They again said that the Archbald/Daley case was with VIMCU, while Ben's case was with the "General Investigation section" .

Here's a link to the press conference:

CHEK News: Official Page

I believe that LE thinks that BK took off of his own accord (suicide or running off) otherwise they would have indicated it was suspicious and ramped up the investigation. They did say though, that the investigation into Ben's case was continuing. I was happy to hear that.

Wife of missing man Ben Kilmer pleading for public to come forward with information

[...]

She is calling on the public to post pictures of Ben and to share his story with the hope somebody comes forward with credible information.

“We will not go away. We will not give up on this man,” said Kilmer. “We said to each other over and over, we were going to show this world to our kids together. This just doesn’t make sense. This is a man that lives his whole life for his family.”

“I honestly do not know how to live without him.”

[...]

Anyone with information is asked to call North Cowichan/Duncan RCMP at 250-748-5522 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

ben-kilmer-missing-poster.jpg

A missing persons poster for Ben Kilmer, which his family and friends have been circulating across Vancouver Island. (Facebook/Find Ben Kilmer)

I feel like more and more we are going to see cases like this one. I can't help but think of the other two men who went missing that same day, in a relatively close vicinity, and have since been found deceased. Seemingly "normal" people getting caught up in all sorts of unsavory circumstances.

It probably starts off very innocently. Just regular people, working hard and looking for a way to get ahead in life. They happen to cross paths with the wrong people, someway or another. The "wrong people" can be very convincing. They will offer you the quickest road to your dreams to get what they want from you. Temptation is very difficult to resist, especially when they make it seam so easy. So clean and so simple. Yet, even the smallest part in a large operation will make you vulnerable and eventually disposable.

My sense (pure speculation) is perhaps Ben was involved somehow in wiring/electrical work for a "client". Maybe he didn't even realize what he was doing or who he was doing it for. He either saw/heard too much -or- wanted out of the operation and his "clients" were not happy about this.

This is just where my mind goes because I have traveled down that dark road once or twice...as a "seemingly normal person". It leads to a world full of greed, impulse, filth, and paranoia. I will not take the trip back there again.

I live close to this area of BC. Supply and demand are at an all time high due to the opiod crisis as well as the impending legalization of cannabis. Everyone is making sure they are well stocked, which includes recruiting "seemingly normal people" to play a part in their operations. The supposed pay out is tempting, especially to those with young families looking to get ahead. They tell you there is no risk. There is. Clearly.

I pray for his safe return and for closure for his family. And I hope everyone else out there makes good choices and continues to take one step in front of the other in the right direction.

I don’t recall - did we know the dogs tracked the scent of BK to a pond? The pond was drained and nothing found. I want to know how far the pond was from his work truck. Earlier in the day he had left the truck door open and engine running. It makes me wonder - he must have thought he was coming right back to his work truck - did he go the pond to relieve himself? Did he see something that he wasn’t supposed to see? I also make note he was wearing steel toed boots.

Two months after his disappearance it does not seem likely he is still alive. Where could he be?

I feel like more and more we are going to see cases like this one. I can't help but think of the other two men who went missing that same day, in a relatively close vicinity, and have since been found deceased. Seemingly "normal" people getting caught up in all sorts of unsavory circumstances.

It probably starts off very innocently. Just regular people, working hard and looking for a way to get ahead in life. They happen to cross paths with the wrong people, someway or another. The "wrong people" can be very convincing. They will offer you the quickest road to your dreams to get what they want from you. Temptation is very difficult to resist, especially when they make it seam so easy. So clean and so simple. Yet, even the smallest part in a large operation will make you vulnerable and eventually disposable.

My sense (pure speculation) is perhaps Ben was involved somehow in wiring/electrical work for a "client". Maybe he didn't even realize what he was doing or who he was doing it for. He either saw/heard too much -or- wanted out of the operation and his "clients" were not happy about this.

This is just where my mind goes because I have traveled down that dark road once or twice...as a "seemingly normal person". It leads to a world full of greed, impulse, filth, and paranoia. I will not take the trip back there again.

I live close to this area of BC. Supply and demand are at an all time high due to the opiod crisis as well as the impending legalization of cannabis. Everyone is making sure they are well stocked, which includes recruiting "seemingly normal people" to play a part in their operations. The supposed pay out is tempting, especially to those with young families looking to get ahead. They tell you there is no risk. There is. Clearly.

I pray for his safe return and for closure for his family. And I hope everyone else out there makes good choices and continues to take one step in front of the other in the right direction.
Well said and good insight to what can happen on the dark side of things... it may look innocent or harmless but you can become disposable when it comes to big money and power... depends who is involved and how high the ladder goes. Some of these ladders lead to wickedness in very high places...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beaverton
Back