Canada - Bruce McArthur- Pleads Guilty - murders of 8 men, Toronto, 2010-2017 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
If he pleads guilty to all 8 murder charges, can he be sentenced to longer than 25 years?

Brian Hurley‏ @brianhurley 1h1 hour ago
Alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur to appear in court this morning http://dlvr.it/QxjcBb

DyETtRpUcAA_dOB.jpg

Arvin Joaquin‏ @ArvinJoaquin 17h17 hours ago
#DEVELOPING: Announcement of a "significant development" in the case of alleged serial killer, Bruce McArthur, is expected during his scheduled court appearance tomorrow. (via @TorontoPolice)

DyBCwnqUwAAPs7G.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IF its a guilty plea, what does he want in return?

Do we let him have early parole? Put him in a cushy prison?

I hope this man never walks free again, ever.

My first thought was that he was pleading guilty to avoid being declared a dangerous offender and qualify for the ‘faint hope clause’ but I honestly can’t see the Crown going for that, IMO.

IF its a guilty plea, what does he want in return?

Do we let him have early parole? Put him in a cushy prison?

I hope this man never walks free again, ever.

If he's pleading guilty to First Degree murder, then about the only thing that he gets in return is that his defense costs will be lower than paying for a trial. The sentence isn't up for negotiation.

If he pleads guilty to all 8 murder charges, can he be sentenced to longer than 25 years?

Yes. He can be sentenced to 25 years for each murder, which would be 200 years. I wish that instead of issuing the ridiculously long sentences that we sometimes see in the US , that a life sentence for a preditor murderer such as BM, meant that anyone so sentenced would remain in prison for life. Simple.

If he's pleading guilty to First Degree murder, then about the only thing that he gets in return is that his defense costs will be lower than paying for a trial. The sentence isn't up for negotiation.

Virtually no one pleads guilty to first degree murder, never mind multiple counts. He wants something, he won't be paying the bill for the trial or time. Something is on the table, even if its a cushy prison townhouse. Perhaps he misses gardening <sarcasm>

Virtually no one pleads guilty to first degree murder, never mind multiple counts. He wants something, he won't be paying the bill for the trial or time. Something is on the table, even if its a cushy prison townhouse. Perhaps he misses gardening <sarcasm>

Unlike some - perhaps many - serial killers - I think he was motivated more by his own perverse pleasures, not publicity or proving how smart he is, so possibly, given his age and the fact that he can no longer get away with his hideous "lifestyle", he just wants it over and done with.

Detective Dave Dickinson, the officer in charge of the McArthur case has now arrived, and Crown attorney Michael Cantlon and Inspector Hank Idsinga from @TPSHomicide. There are easily 100 people in the courtroom now.

Court is taking a brief recess. Lawyers involved in McArthur case are having a meeting.

@cmcdonalglobal

Court is now in recess again as McArthur is brought up to the courtroom. The judge has also said that a victim's family is in London and will be phoned in to listen to McArthur's appearance this morning.

@cmcdonaldglobal

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarrilinaCali
Back