Canada - Canadian hockey team fatal bus accident tragedy, 6 April 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think it was the right thing to do, that he plead guilty.

His position to me was, ‘I just want to plead guilty. I don’t want you to plea bargain. I don’t want a trial,’” Brayford said outside court, Sidhu standing silently beside him with his head down.

“Mr. Sidhu advised me: ‘I don’t want to make things any worse. I can’t make things any better, but I certainly don’t want to make them worse by having a trial.’

“He wanted the families to know that he’s devastated by the grief that he’s caused them. And he’s overwhelmed by the expressions of sympathy and kindness that some of the families and players have expressed to him in spite of the fact their grief is entirely his fault.”..”

'Devastated' truck driver says he didn't want a trial after pleading guilty to charges in Broncos crash

From the same link -

“The owner of the Calgary trucking company that hired Singh was also charged after the crash. Sukhmander Singh of Adesh Deol Trucking faces eight charges relating to non-compliance with federal and provincial safety regulations.

Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League President Bill Chow, making clear that he did not want to speak for the 29 families directly affected by the crash, said that while Sidhu’s guilty pleas finish one part of the court proceedings, that process is not “by any means … complete yet.”..”

I’m glad he has plead guilty it was the right thing to do. I wonder what he is facing sentence wise. I wonder if he will be made an example of as a deterrent to other truck and drivers.

Is there any news on a memorial being built at the crash site? It would be nice to have one at the one year anniversary

I’m glad he has plead guilty it was the right thing to do. I wonder what he is facing sentence wise. I wonder if he will be made an example of as a deterrent to other truck and drivers.

Is there any news on a memorial being built at the crash site? It would be nice to have one at the one year anniversary

I wonder what the sentence will be too. Just guessing, considering our justice system is built upon rehabilitation of offenders as opposed to punishment, I’m doubtful it will be consecutive sentences over decades.

This article mentions a permanent memorial however planning is still in the preliminary stages. I hope it comes together sooner than later as well.
Committee set to discuss permanent Humboldt Broncos memorial
Dec 13, 2018
There’s no timeline for when a permanent memorial will be built.

“It’s taken a bit to form but I think they’re about ready to start regular meetings and discussing these types of things,” Brockman said Wednesday.

Constructing a new roadside memorial and access road was one of 13 recommendations included in the report done for the Saskatchewan government and released Wednesday.

“It is expected that the memorial will continue to draw visitors for decades to come,” the report said, noting speed limits have been lowered to 60 km/h around the current site because of the number of people stopping.

Ideally the memorial should be set back far enough from the highways to protect pedestrians and access should be provided via an access road that meets minimum setback requirements.”....”

Christie Blatchford: Trucker in Humboldt crash had a defence, but he chose to do the right thing

“....Shortly after Sidhu said, “I plead guilty, your honour” on Tuesday, Scott Thomas stood outside the courthouse in Melfort, Sask.

His 18-year-old son Evan was killed in the crash.

The guilty plea, Thomas said, was enough for him; he didn’t care about the sentencing hearing, which will follow later this month.

“He was guilty,” he said, close to tears. “He acknowledged that. That was all I needed to hear. The rest of the sentence doesn’t matter to me… It’s not going to bring Evan back. I’ve got to spend the rest of my life with it. He’s (Sidhu) got to spend the rest of his life with it.”

The sentence, for both men, already has been pronounced, and it is irrevocable...”

His sentencing hearing is set to commence on Jan. 28, with three to five days set aside for the vast number of victim impact statements that will be presented in court.

It will be a precedent-setting case for all the wrong reasons, and incredibly difficult for the judge, said criminal defence lawyer Brian Pfefferle.

“This is a very difficult task, because what the public expects and the justice system is capable of doing are really two different, distinct things,” said Pfefferle, who is not involved in the case.

Truck driver in Humboldt Broncos crash faces several sentencing possibilities

I’m glad I’m not the one who has to decide on a sentence. This is going to be an emotional sentence hearing. I think he should get a fair sentence it will be interesting to see if that happens.

Carol and Lyle Brons say nothing can bring back their daughter, Dayna, who was killed in the Humboldt Broncos bus crash, but that there is something politicians can do for others.

Federal and provincial transport ministers are meeting Monday in Montreal. The Brons family is pleading with them to make training mandatory for semi truck drivers.

"Our loss can't mean nothing. I mean, it'd be very heartbreaking — as much pain as we're going through now — to think that pain doesn't count for anything," Carol Brons said in an interview with CBC News from her home in Lake Lenore, Sask.

Mother of Humboldt Broncos crash victim pleads for mandatory semi driver training | CBC News

Carol and Lyle Brons say nothing can bring back their daughter, Dayna, who was killed in the Humboldt Broncos bus crash, but that there is something politicians can do for others.

Federal and provincial transport ministers are meeting Monday in Montreal. The Brons family is pleading with them to make training mandatory for semi truck drivers.

"Our loss can't mean nothing. I mean, it'd be very heartbreaking — as much pain as we're going through now — to think that pain doesn't count for anything," Carol Brons said in an interview with CBC News from her home in Lake Lenore, Sask.

Mother of Humboldt Broncos crash victim pleads for mandatory semi driver training | CBC News

Appears they were successful as this media report below immediately followed. However that it’ll still take another year before the federal standards are implemented (assuming it happens then) is disappointing because imo it’s long overdue. It’s not as if it’s recreating the wheel or tragic trucking incidents began happened just yesterday.
New federal semi-truck driver regulations to come into effect in January 2020 | CBC News
“......New regulations for semi-truck driver training will take effect across Canada about a year from now, the federal government says.

However, the details of what will be in those new rules has yet to be determined.

Transport Minister Marc Garneau made the announcement at a transport ministers meeting in Montreal on Monday.......

"This will ensure that future truck drivers across Canada have the knowledge and skills that they need to safely operate these vehicles," Garneau said.

Garneau said he and his provincial and territorial counterparts all remember the Humboldt Broncos bus crash of April 6, 2018....”

Appears they were successful as this media report below immediately followed. However that it’ll still take another year before the federal standards are implemented (assuming it happens then) is disappointing because imo it’s long overdue. It’s not as if it’s recreating the wheel or tragic trucking incidents began happened just yesterday.
New federal semi-truck driver regulations to come into effect in January 2020 | CBC News
“......New regulations for semi-truck driver training will take effect across Canada about a year from now, the federal government says.

However, the details of what will be in those new rules has yet to be determined.

Transport Minister Marc Garneau made the announcement at a transport ministers meeting in Montreal on Monday.......

"This will ensure that future truck drivers across Canada have the knowledge and skills that they need to safely operate these vehicles," Garneau said.

Garneau said he and his provincial and territorial counterparts all remember the Humboldt Broncos bus crash of April 6, 2018....”

Thank you very much for posting this much appreciated and welcome update.

Sentencing begins for semi driver who caused Humboldt Broncos crash | CBC News

“The hearing will take place in a Melfort gymnasium big enough to accommodate the families, friends, supporters, lawyers, media and others. Judge Inez Cardinal has set aside five days for the hearing. On Friday, Cardinal rejected a media application to broadcast portions of the hearing such as the lawyers' arguments.

University of Saskatchewan law Prof. Sarah Burningham said Cardinal's sentencing decision will have to be based strictly on the facts, despite the international attention the case has attracted.

"It's so unique and so tragic, just the scale of death," Burningham said. "We don't have many cases like that, if any. It makes it a very emotional case."

Burningham said the early guilty plea and a lack of intent to harm could be a factor. The maximum sentence for dangerous driving causing death is 14 years in prison.

She said dangerous driving causing death has typically resulted in jail terms between two and five years in Saskatchewan....”

While some people might believe the sentence should be harsh to set an example to others of the dire consequences of dangerous driving, sometimes in high profile tragedies it goes the other way —

“Other factors expected to be taken into consideration in determining Sidhu’s punishment include the specifics of his dangerous driving, which have not been detailed publicly, as well as his past driving record and what message should be sent to deter other people from driving dangerously. Brown said the high-profile nature of the case may also be a factor, Brown said.

“It’s the type of thing that a judge may use to lessen his sentence and say ‘This is one of those things where you’ve already been publicly shamed, so we can actually give you a lighter sentence,” he said.....”
Humboldt Broncos crash: What will go into sentencing truck driver Jaskirat Singh Sidhu?

From Chris Vandenbreekel's twitter:

Facts of collision:
1. Semi didn't stop at the stop sign, no skid signs.
2. Semi was travelling between 86 and 96 km/h.
3. 24 metres south of point of impact, bus driver applied the brakes and skidded.
4. Bus was travelling between 96km/h and 107km/h
5. Bus t-boned truck, which was fully in the intersection
6. "No way" bus driver could have avoided collision.
7. Weather/road condition/sun were not factors.
8. Sightline blocking by trees was "inconsequential"

Healey lists the signs Sidhu passed leading up to the stop.
1. Junction Highway 35 sign, 460 metres away.
2. Stop sign ahead sign 300 metres away.
3. Gronlid ahead/Tisdale left/Nipawin right 200 metres away.
4. Oversized stop sign at the intersection.

“It’s the type of thing that a judge may use to lessen his sentence and say ‘This is one of those things where you’ve already been publicly shamed, so we can actually give you a lighter sentence,”

i agree with this,

this man is not a bad man, he is not a bad person, he is not a danger to society, he just made a mistake, if he was on drugs, or drinking, it would be a lot different, but he wasn't,

are any of you people out there perfect?

i realize the families want to be heard at this sentencing, but i don't really see any point in it, and it accomplishes nothing in the end.....5 DAYS? REALLY?

5 days of families reading sob stories?.....that is a bit over the top IMO, too much and far too long,

i see a sentence of 1-3 years in prison, and i think that is more then reasonable,

you people looking for 10+ years in jail, or a life sentence need to give your head a shake, and put yourself in this guys position,

Although it was earlier expected victim impact statements would require five days, it’s now been reduced to three days. No doubt a variety of emotions expressed, some extraordinarily gracious:

Families of Humboldt Broncos bus crash victims share moving, poignant tributes
“.....Many of the victim’s family members thanked Sidhu for pleading guilty and offered forgiveness.

Reading his victim impact statement through tears, Logan Boulet’s father, Toby, said he thinks Sidhu feels “tremendous remorse.”

“I believe that he wishes he could start April 6 all over again. We all do.”

Marilyn Cross, whose son Mark was an assistant coach and died in the Broncos crash, looked tenderly at Sidhu during her time addressing the court.

“I grieve for you as well. I don’t hate you. When I look at you I see a young man not much older than Mark,” she said.

“I grieve for the loss that your family will experience as well.”

Sidhu looked back at her, wiping his eyes with a tissue....”

Statement of Agreed Upon Facts
R vs Sidhu
https://postmediathestarphoenix2.files.wordpress.com/2019/01/humboldt-agreed-facts.pdf

Only my opinion but I don’t think any new semi-truck driver intentionally skirts safety regulations on a whim, if he wants to keep his job. It’s a result of poor training and negligent supervision from the owner of the company. In this case the truck company owner has also been charged with failure to comply with safety regulations, so that about says there was no emphasis whatsoever. And possibly why the truck route was through the “back roads” of rural Saskatchewan. The outcome was horrific.

Report states semi driver who caused Humboldt Broncos crash had violated 70 government regulations | CBC News
".....If Jaskirat Singh Sidhu had been stopped and inspected on April 6, 2018 prior to the incident, he would have been placed under a 72 hour out of service declaration...preventing him from operating a commercial vehicle," stated the report........

.....The dozens of violations cited in the report revolve mostly around missing data in Sidhu's driver log book, according to the report. Regulators track these log entries in part to prevent drivers from working when excessively fatigued or sleepy.

Sidhu failed to account for time on and off the job, to account for the city or province where he spent each shift, and to document whether the vehicle had any defects.

On some entries, he'd sign off on a completed work day before starting to drive. On days such as March 30 and 31, the log book is completely missing......”

.....The dozens of violations cited in the report revolve mostly around missing data in Sidhu's driver log book, according to the report. Regulators track these log entries in part to prevent drivers from working when excessively fatigued or sleepy.

Sidhu failed to account for time on and off the job, to account for the city or province where he spent each shift, and to document whether the vehicle had any defects.

On some entries, he'd sign off on a completed work day before starting to drive. On days such as March 30 and 31, the log book is completely missing......”

this means nothing IMO,

either he was driving a safe vehicle, or he wasn't, so which is it?

did an unsafe vehicle contribute to the accident?....if so, how?

you cant expect a driver to be responsible for something like failing brakes,

technically speaking, before any driver gets into their vehicle, they are required to walk around the vehicle, inspect all 4 tires, and test all of their lights and turn signals.....so let me ask the question, when is the last time anybody here did that before they drove their vehicle?

The Saskatchewan government is promising to install rumble strips, lights, signs and road markers at the site where the Humboldt Broncos bus collided with a transport truck.

"To see this is going to be addressed, it's a good thing," said Scott Thomas, whose son, Evan was one of 16 people killed in the crash.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4942959

I am glad they are doing this. I just don’t know why it has taken over 8 months to propose these changes. I hope they are done ASAP!

I am glad to hear they are going to try to make the intersection safer.

When this accident first happened I studied the approach to the intersection and I had wished the actual Stop sign itself was on its own pole and not attached to the light pole.
I honestly think that would have helped people see the last stop sign. If it would have been on its own standalone pole I think it may have helped. As well as maybe even having two Stop Ahead signs instead of just one.

Better yet is to have a blinking red light hanging overhead in center of road for the direction the truck was traveling in addition to the last stop sign on its own pole.

I know its not feasible to be able to put in lights like that on all rural intersections but it would be a nice wish list. So I am glad to hear they are going to make some improvements. It may help avoid other future collisions.

The 4th picture down in this link shows how the stop sign was attached to a light pole at time of accident.

Humboldt Broncos bus crash: What the photos show about the point of impact

Last edited:
this means nothing IMO,

either he was driving a safe vehicle, or he wasn't, so which is it?

did an unsafe vehicle contribute to the accident?....if so, how?

you cant expect a driver to be responsible for something like failing brakes,

technically speaking, before any driver gets into their vehicle, they are required to walk around the vehicle, inspect all 4 tires, and test all of their lights and turn signals.....so let me ask the question, when is the last time anybody here did that before they drove their vehicle?

There’s absolutely no indication of break failure. Surely JS had every opportunity to claim that, had it been so. Instead he plead that he was guilty of all the dangerous driving charges.

The Inspector’s report eludes to possible fabrication of the driver’s log book. In the same report you’ll note the practise is not unheard of within the trucking industry but a great concern in general.

BBM

“Steve Laskowski, president of the Canadian Trucking Alliance, said that log books are important for showing you aren't violating hours-of-service regulations.

"It is extremely important that you are following the rules, because we know that the greatest factor leading to truck collisions are human factors, and fatigue plays a part in that," he said......

....There are "strong concerns" about the documentation for April 6, inspectors said in the report. Sidhu drove from Saskatoon to Carrot River, Sask., to pick up the load of peat moss, then drove another 50 kilometres before the crash occurred. However, the total distance on the vehicle odometer was higher.

"This would leave approximately 31.8 kilometres unaccounted for by the driver's daily log," stated the report.

The report also questions Sidhu's log book entry showing he took five hours off duty in the middle of his work day April 6, just two hours before the crash occurred.

"This is not a common practice in the industry," stated the inspectors.

"These areas must be further investigated to get a true picture and timeline of Jaskirat Singh Sidhu's day on April 6, 2018."....”
Semi-trailer driver who caused Humboldt Broncos crash had 70 violations in 11 days | CBC News

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
disturbedprincess6
Back