Canada - Carla, 64, & Alan Rutherford, 63, Dundas Ontario, 9 July 2018- *ARREST*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
rbbm.

''Emberlin determined the master bedroom was where the fire began. The majority of the hardwood was disintegrated throughout the room, but it was so burnt at the foot of the bed, that you could see into the basement. The fire also burned through the roof.''

Was it Rick Taylor, Carlas‘ ex-husband or Rich Taylor, her son?

Different people heard different names on the neighbours porch.

Does anyone recall how long since Carla and Rick Taylor had divorced?

This is from pressreader.com via The Spec's May 25th article re court held on May 24th. It seems the ex, Rick, who is also remarried, had a congenial relationship with Carla and her husband, both were included for special occasions involving their mutual adult children, Rick loaned his son Rich money, etc.:

On the night of the fire, some witnesses said Alan said the name “Rich,” while others heard “Rick.” Rich Taylor’s dad, Richard Taylor Sr., goes by the name Rick.

He testified Monday that he had nothing to do with the fire. He was at his cottage with his wife in Minden, Ont., about a three-hour drive away from Dundas.

He had a good relationship with his ex-wife Carla and Alan — they weren’t close, but everyone got together for kids’ birthdays and other holidays, he said.

He loaned Rich about $9,000 for one of his woodworking businesses, but had no idea of his eldest son’s financial troubles.

If he had known, he would have helped his son, Rick said.

pressreader.com/ you can also find the article under The Spec dated May 25th if you subscribe, imo.

This article says Carla and Alan were married in 2007, so must've been divorced/separated sometime before then:

Al and Carla met while working together in a lab at Hamilton Health Sciences, The Spectator has previously reported. They were married in the spring of 2007, and Al moved into the Greening Court ranch house where Carla had raised her boys.

PressReader.com - Digital Newspaper & Magazine Subscriptions

Accused murderer Richard Taylor testifies in court​

By
Alex Last
-
June 6, 2022, 9:16 pm

Richard Taylor is accused of killing his mother and stepfather by setting their Dundas home on fire. Taylor took the stand today in his own defence.
When Taylor was asked by his lawyer what his relationship was like with his mother and stepfather back in 2018 he said, “they were happy they got along they made each other happy.”
On July 9th, 2018 at 3 a.m. the court was shown a video that appears to show a person lighting a match near Greening Court in Dundas. The person in the video is seen running away. Police believe the person in this video intentionally set the fire that killed Carla and Alan Rutherford in their home on Greening Court that morning.
The accused, Richard Taylor, Carla’s son, a father of two, and a former teacher at Hess elementary in Hamilton, denies this was him. The court heard Taylor could have potentially benefited financially from his mother’s death.
Today Taylor’s lawyer asked if it was him in the video, Taylor replied, “no, it’s not.” The lawyer then asked, “did you go over to your parent’s home and kill your mom and step-father?” Taylor answered, “no I did not.”
Richard Taylor was also asked by his lawyer if he ran into financial troubles back in 2017, if he had a gambling addiction, did drugs or was addicted to drugs, or had a girlfriend on the side. Taylor answered no to all of those questions.
The defence will continue with arguments when the court resumes tomorrow morning.

Thanks for posting articles, JDG. If anyone is interested in more detail than CHCH is reporting, please take a look at pressreader.com and click on the magnifying glass at the top to do a search for Richard Taylor, or Carla Rutherford, etc.

''Spending money makes Richard Taylor feel better.

So, after his mother and stepfather were burned alive and he became the prime suspect in their homicides, Taylor took the money he inherited and blew it.

“I was hurting, I was in a bad place,” he said Wednesday at his murder trial. “I’d lost my mom. I was accused, or at least a suspect in her murder … Spending money made me feel a little better. We ate out more because I didn’t want to cook.”

Pause there for a moment.

This is a man accused of killing two people — people he says he loved — in the most excruciating way. He is accused of doing it because he wanted their money. He stood to inherit about $400,000. And he immediately began spending it at restaurants because he was so distraught over the murders that he was accused of committing.''

''But he didn’t pay for his mother’s estate lawyer. And within two months of the murders, he had spent all the money he had access to at the time — about $21,000, court heard.

“Mr. Taylor,” said assistant Crown attorney Mark Dean in cross-examination. “You can murder your own mother, but that was Chris Taylor’s mother too … And you were stealing from the funds she left for her boys to settle the debts related to her death.”

“Did I take some and use it for my own … spend it? Yes,” agreed Taylor.''

After the murders, when he was executor of Carla’s will, he lied to his brother and said he’d sent a cheque to the estate lawyer.

“It must have got lost in the mail,” he said at the time. While testifying he admitted “I lied to him about sending the money.”

“You decide you’re going to burn them alive while they sleep. You think: ‘That happens to people sometimes — house fires’ ... You think nobody’s going to believe a son would actually burn his mother to death.''

Last edited:
Thanks for posting articles, JDG. If anyone is interested in more detail than CHCH is reporting, please take a look at pressreader.com and click on the magnifying glass at the top to do a search for Richard Taylor, or Carla Rutherford, etc.

very interested in more details but I cannot properly access any of the print media.

CHCH only gives a short ‘capsule’ of the court info.

if anyone wishes to add more, it is greatly appreciated.

thanks Deug and dotr

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR Sleuth
Back