GUILTY Canada - Diane Werendowicz, 23, raped & murdered, Hamilton, Ont, June 1981

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
So the handle wouldn't be over her head? If it was just twisted would it stay on afloat in the water?

The enclosed strap(s) wouldn't have stayed in its twisted position, however considering its smaller size, it would have remained around DW's neck, likely being too small to just come off by itself. Therefore, it sounds like it was likely assumed, just due to how she was found, that she had been strangled with her purse, because the strap was also showing indications of having previously been twisted, but in reality, i suppose that could have been done by DW herself at any past point in time. Unless the ME could match the weave of the straps against the marks left in her neck, and the exact dimensions of the item which strangled her, wouldn't they just be surmising that that was what was used? I had actually been wondering.. if DW had been running through the ravine to get home, with her shoes in hand (or were they in her purse at the time??), she could have even put the purse over her neck herself, so as to free up her hands while she navigated her way home through the 'woods' in the dark. I know that when my hands are full and I have too much to carry, I'll throw my purse over my head to free up hand space. If she was intoxicated and it was dark and she was running, could she have done same?

Thinking about RB's self-confessed unfaithfulness, I'm thinking he would be lying a lot to fiances and wives. I wonder if he is a pathological liar. The wiki description is interesting https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pathological_lying

If that's the case, he's pretty adept at fabricating stories and has glossed a few people with his version of events.

Would be interesting to hear from some one who knew him to say if he seemed to be a liar, cheat, and so on, if not in court at least to us sleuthers.

I'd also like to know if he went to Mohawk College after high school or went right out to work at Dofasco.

Just so we have it here... as per today's tweets from court by SC:

"Height, 5 feet 9 inches, 200 lbs. His high school is listed as Orchard Park. Father's occupation: pipe fitter. #Badgerow"

"Feb. 16, 1977 job application from #Badgerow states he is 5 foot 8 and 180 lbs. April 21, 1958 DOB."

SC Tweets:
"Witness is done...Crown Gzik is telling jury she has one more day of evidence on Wednesday with last two witnesses. So no trial tomorrow."

""This case is going a little faster than the estimates we were all given," Justice Flynn tells jury."

"Crown will wrap up Wednesday. Then defence team will be asked if it is calling evidence. Justice dismisses jurors until Wednesday morning."

In previous trials I believe RB has taken the stand in his own defence. I wonder if he will do so again in this trial.

Another item we were wondering about, but which still doesn't give an answer as to where RB was living at the time of DW's murder. I believe he married TH in April 1982(?), so that could very well be when he moved into Jerome Cres.

Also in there is reference to a shoulder injury for which there is little information (which may become important later if RB testifies in his defence). It doesn't state what the timing was on the shoulder injury.

- Lost full shift Aug. 7 and 8, 1982 due to severity and pain of left ankle.

- Badgerow's address at this time is listed as 50 Jerome Cres. -- that's the apartment building next to Diane's.

- Aug. 7, 1982, 5:25 p.m. Badgerow called in to say he couldn't work night shift because of injury from night before. (deugirtni's note; note that this is a year *after* DW's murder)

- On Aug. 6, 1982 #Badgerow was 24-year-old strapper with "twisted left ankle."

- X-rays done on site at Dofasco for #Badgerow's fractured thumb.

- Witness is trying to read a doctor's handwriting. She can't make out much of it.

- In April 1981, Badgerow missed six days due to illness. He later had a shoulder injury.

note the above tweets need to be read in reverse order.

Just so we have it here... as per today's tweets from court by SC:

"Height, 5 feet 9 inches, 200 lbs. His high school is listed as Orchard Park. Father's occupation: pipe fitter. #Badgerow"

"Feb. 16, 1977 job application from #Badgerow states he is 5 foot 8 and 180 lbs. April 21, 1958 DOB."

so short compared to vic DW so may have assumed she was taller than himself, i.e. "she's 5' 11""

Another item we were wondering about, but which still doesn't give an answer as to where RB was living at the time of DW's murder. I believe he married TH in April 1982(?), so that could very well be when he moved into Jerome Cres.

Also in there is reference to a shoulder injury for which there is little information (which may become important later if RB testifies in his defence). It doesn't state what the timing was on the shoulder injury.

note the above tweets need to be read in reverse order.

I suspect the whole purpose of that was to get to the address.

Here's something I had been wondering about--his actions after the murder. He worked while CV skipped town.

[I
]June 20, 1981 #Badgerow worked another afternoon shift. On June 21 he was off.[/I]

so short compared to vic DW so may have assumed she was taller than himself, i.e. "she's 5' 11""

But she was same height really (since we really don't know whether RB was 5'8 or 5'9 from these conflicting reports), since DW was also 5'9.. so if someone is same height, why would one think of the person as being 2-3" taller?

so if indeed RB did it, it comes down to stupid criminal moves--making a phone call and incriminating yourself.

But she was same height really (since we really don't know whether RB was 5'8 or 5'9 from these conflicting reports), since DW was also 5'9.. so if someone is same height, why would one think of the person as being 2-3" taller?

Because if he was comparing her to other girls who on average are 5-7 or shorter, this one he actually looked eye to eye with and the puffy part of her hair in pig tails as in photo maybe added height. Being thin sometimes makes a person look tall too IMO. and maybe he slouched

I suspect the whole purpose of that was to get to the address.

Why not just say what his address was at the time? If where RB lived at the time is pub banned for whatever crazy reason, it wouldn't have been allowed. If talking about a year later, as I believe it to be, it's kind of irrelevant, other than that it's pretty brazen of a guy who murdered a girl right behind the building, who also lived in one of those buildings, to go on to live in one of those buildings a year (or however long it was) later.

so if indeed RB did it, it comes down to stupid criminal moves--making a phone call and incriminating yourself.

I can't recall hearing that CV's voice was compared to the voice on the 911 call, or whether any of his friends, family, coworkers, were questioned and asked to review the recording? I'm kind of shocked that they haven't compared that voice on the recording with RB's voice by using some kind of advanced technology that surely they must have by now?

Was it ever stated where RB's family lived at the time of DW's murder?

Was it ever said whether RB went to the bar directly from work.. ok nevermind.. I was wondering if he'd come home to shower and change and stuff before heading to the bar.. but then I remembered that those guys showered and dressed at work.

A few weeks after DW's murder, RB would have been questioned in the Robertson attack, along with RB's fiance at the time and her parents as well, who all provided an alibi for him. I am thinking that if there were any hinky feelings about that night, the fiance wouldn't have ended up going through with the marriage to RB. And then many years later, when he was charged (Dec 1998? for both events), and then tried in court for the Robertson attack, those people would have had to testify. At that time, so many years later, that marriage between RB and TH was long over, and yet there still seemed to be no indication from TH or her family that would indicate they believed that RB was the perp. If TH had gone through an ugly marriage, or an ugly divorce, or had been abused by him during their engagement or marriage, it would be the perfect time to let that all hang out. But it didn't happen... and same with RB's then current wife, C. It sounds like she was devastated when he was found guilty during his first trial. I just feel like if there were little weird vibes about him, those would have come out.

Why not just say what his address was at the time? If where RB lived at the time is pub banned for whatever crazy reason, it wouldn't have been allowed. If talking about a year later, as I believe it to be, it's kind of irrelevant, other than that it's pretty brazen of a guy who murdered a girl right behind the building, who also lived in one of those buildings, to go on to live in one of those buildings a year (or however long it was) later.

I think it's legal hijinx--not fair to him which is totally ludicrous. Just my Opinion. I don't really know.

A few weeks after DW's murder, RB would have been questioned in the Robertson attack, along with RB's fiance at the time and her parents as well, who all provided an alibi for him. I am thinking that if there were any hinky feelings about that night, the fiance wouldn't have ended up going through with the marriage to RB. And then many years later, when he was charged (Dec 1998? for both events), and then tried in court for the Robertson attack, those people would have had to testify. At that time, so many years later, that marriage between RB and TH was long over, and yet there still seemed to be no indication from TH or her family that would indicate they believed that RB was the perp. If TH had gone through an ugly marriage, or an ugly divorce, or had been abused by him during their engagement or marriage, it would be the perfect time to let that all hang out. But it didn't happen... and same with RB's then current wife, C. It sounds like she was devastated when he was found guilty during his first trial. I just feel like if there were little weird vibes about him, those would have come out.

Yes or he is really really good at covering his tracks.

Seems to me his own father wasn't 100% that it WASN'T his voice. He's the person who drew attention to the word "crick."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState
Back