Canada - Eight bodies found in a marsh, near US border, Tsi Snaihne, Akwesasne, Quebec, 30 March 2023 *POIs sought*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
''MONTREAL - Akwesasne Mohawk police say are suspending the organized search of local waterways for a man linked to the eight migrants whose bodies were pulled from the St. Lawrence River last week.

Police say they believe they have exhausted search efforts on the water for 30-year-old Casey Oakes and are set to resume normal patrol operations, unless they receive “actionable intelligence”.

Lengthy article. by Jorge Barrera, Rachel Houlihan, Dexter McMillan
rbbm
View attachment 413228
Three Indian nationals stayed briefly at the Great View Motel, seen here on Wednesday, after they were smuggled into the U.S. in March 2020, allegedly under Singh's direction. (Evan Mitsui/CBC)

''Simranjit Singh of Brampton, Ont., has pleaded not guilty to nine counts related to human smuggling in the U.S. Federal Court for the Northern District of New York. (Ontario Superior Court of Justice)
An Ontario man who once allegedly bragged he'd moved over 1,000 people across the Canada-U.S. border, is now facing a nine-count indictment alleging he was the "primary organizer" of a human smuggling network using Akwesasne Mohawk territory.
Simranjit "Shally" Singh of Brampton, Ont., pleaded not guilty on Wednesday in the U.S. Federal Court for the Northern District of New York to charges related to human smuggling. He was extradited to the U.S. on Thursday.
The indictment is based on evidence gathered through surveillance, Facebook messages and human sources related to four failed smuggling attempts across the St. Lawrence River between March 2020 and April 2022, according to court records.
Singh allegedly acted as a broker, charging $5,000 to $35,000 per person to smuggle mainly Indian nationals into the U.S., according to court records.
He then paid people in the community between $2,000 to $3,000 per person to take them across the river through Akwesasne territory.
Singh's indictment is not connected to the deaths of eight suspected migrants — including four Indian citizens — on the St. Lawrence last week.
However, there are similarities. ''

''Facing deportation​

Singh, who is currently facing deportation in Canada, arrived in Montreal from India in 2010 with his then-wife and one child and filed refugee claims. His mother then arrived with his other child and also filed refugee claims. All five were ultimately rejected, according to court records.

Canadian authorities could not return them to India because the Indian consulate refused to provide travel documents. Singh is now attempting to stay through his second wife, who sponsored him. That application was pending at the time of his arrest last summer.''
Sounds like India is not cooperating with the Canadian government to expel people who are illegally in the country. I hope immigration takes a good look at his new wife. It sounds like the plan is for him to secure Canadian citizenship through her, and to then sponsor is other family to live in Canada.

I didn't know that! The difference could also be that the refugees mentioned in the article are from Hungary, and the family that drowned is from Romania.

Circumstances may be different in different countries. A quick search shows that Roma people represent 7% of the Hungarian population, while they represent 33% of the Romanian population.

I think the confusion arises because of the name of the country Romania. The name is derived from the Latin Romanus which means Rome or 'of Rome'. Whereas the Roma actually have nothing to do with Romans. They descend from a nomadic group originally from India who worked their way across Europe. It's possible they were the lowest rung of the caste system in India, hence their roaming ways. <modsnip>

Here's a very cool map of how Europe evolved over 2400 years up to today. I think Putin's seen this map. He likes the good old days, I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a quick history of the Romani people through the ages. It obviously takes a long time to overcome prejudices toward the Roma. No wonder Canada has a more sympathetic response to their refugee status. Click through the links.

I think the confusion arises because of the name of the country Romania. The name is derived from the Latin Romanus which means Rome or 'of Rome'. Whereas the Roma actually have nothing to do with Romans. They descend from a nomadic group originally from India who worked their way across Europe. It's possible they were the lowest rung of the caste system in India, hence their roaming ways. <modsnip>

Here's a very cool map of how Europe evolved over 2400 years up to today. I think Putin's seen this map. He likes the good old days, I guess.

I read that a couple of days ago - interesting history. <modsnip: Quoted post was modsnipped>

Great animation!

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a couple of recent articles about both these families.

Allegedly, the Romanian couple had been caught twice before, illegally crossing into the US, and had been sent back to Canada - who then did not look favourably on their requests for refugee status.

Also, a story about the Indian family, who came on tourist visas:

"All he told me was that he was going to visit Canada,” a relative back in India said. He is especially heartbroken about his niece, Vidhi Chaudhari, who he said had recently graduated with a master’s degree in business management and had high-paying job offers in India.

“She had no need of going to any other country for a good life,” he said. “Vidhi had so many dreams. She had her whole life ahead of her. She was so smart.”

I think the lesson of many types of crime is to beware, whatever your dreams, there are predatory people who will use them to exploit you.

JMO

There are a couple of recent articles about both these families.

Allegedly, the Romanian couple had been caught twice before, illegally crossing into the US, and had been sent back to Canada - who then did not look favourably on their requests for refugee status.

Also, a story about the Indian family, who came on tourist visas:

"All he told me was that he was going to visit Canada,” a relative back in India said. He is especially heartbroken about his niece, Vidhi Chaudhari, who he said had recently graduated with a master’s degree in business management and had high-paying job offers in India.

“She had no need of going to any other country for a good life,” he said. “Vidhi had so many dreams. She had her whole life ahead of her. She was so smart.”

I think the lesson of many types of crime is to beware, whatever your dreams, there are predatory people who will use them to exploit you.

JMO
Based on that BBC article, the Romanian family didn't want to emigrate to Canada. They missed the first asylum application meeting and then were caught more than once trying to illegally enter the USA. It sounds like they came to Canada because it was easier than going to the USA, and the plan was always to attempt to illegally enter the USA.

April 13 2023
''MONTREAL - Akwesasne Mohawk Police say they have seized vehicles believed to be connected to the eight migrants whose bodies were recovered from the St. Lawrence River late last month.

Police confirmed in a news release today that two vehicles were seized Wednesday from two different locations in Akwesasne and warrants were obtained to examine the vehicles.

Investigators say they have identified “persons of interest” to the investigation and have made attempts to locate them.''

''

A second investigative front is developing into the drowning deaths of six foreign nationals and two Canadian children in the St. Lawrence River.

Homeland Security Investigations (HSI), a U.S. federal agency focused on transnational crime, has opened a "parallel investigation" into the wider network that may have facilitated the ill-fated cross-border human smuggling attempt.

HSI initiated the investigation at the request of Akwesasne Mohawk Police Service (AMPS), according to an AMPS statement emailed to CBC News.

May 13 2023

''Police in India say they are looking for three men in connection with the deaths of a family from Gujarat who perished trying to cross into the United States by boat through Akwesasne, Que., in March.

Achal Tyagi, superintendent of police for the city of Mehsana, in the western state of Gujarat, says authorities have issued a "lookout circular" for three men: Nikulsinh Vihol, Sachin Vihol and Arjunsinh Chavda.

The notice is used at checkpoints, borders and immigration ports to look out for a person wanted by law enforcement.

Indian police allege the men were involved in running immigration firms some people use to enter countries with fake documents.''

''The report alleges the brokers received the equivalent of about $100,000 Cdn to have Praveen Chaudhari and his family cross into the U.S. by taxi. Later, family members were reluctantly convinced at the last minute to travel by boat and were reassured there would be no issues, despite poor weather.

Ashwin Chaudhari, a 40-year-old farmer, said in the complaint that he was in touch with the family through phone calls and WhatsApp.''

July 4 2023
'Police in Akwesasne Mohawk Territory say a body has been found near a small island in the St. Lawrence River.

The body was located about 10 kilometres northeast from Snye, Akwesasne, where the bodies of eight people were found in a marshy area of the river last March.'

'Since then, Akwesasne police have been searching for a 30-year-old local man, Casey Oakes, who was last seen operating the boat that was later found next to the bodies of the two migrant families.

Police said Monday the body was found around 2 p.m. that day near Ross Island and that they were awaiting confirmation of the person's identity by the coroner.

Authorities describe Akwesasne, about 130 kilometres southwest of Montreal, as a popular spot for human smuggling due to its geography, which straddles the borders between Quebec, Ontario and New York state.'

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fruit
Back