DNA Solves
JaneSmith.jpg

Jane Smith
Missing since August 9, 1975 from Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

LINK:
The Doe Network: Case File 2026DFON

Handy link.
Accent: A list of Sudbury's missing and unsolved murders
''The following is a list of unsolved cases of murder or missing persons in the Sudbury area. Some are investigated by the Greater Sudbury Police and others by the OPP or other services.''

''Jane Smith

Age at disappearance: 20

Last seen in her Charlotte Street apartment on Aug. 9, 1975.''

There is a resemblance between the photo of Jane Smith and the unidentified girl's image. However a few things do not quite line up.

Alaska is a long way from Ontario, Canada, and the write up for the unknown girl (body found in July 1980) indicates that she was probably murdered around 1979-80. This is a 4 to 5 year gap between 1975, when Jane went missing and the estimated death date for the unknown victim.

Jane Winnifred Smith

Age 20
Race White
Sex Female
Location Sudbury, Ontario
Born March 19, 1955
Disappeared August 9, 1975
Missing for 45 years
Height 5'4"
Weight 110 pounds
Classification Suspected homicide

Jane Winnifred Smith (born March 19, 1955) was a young woman who went missing from Sudbury, Ontario. Police believed she may have been a victim of foul play.

Case
On August 9, 1975, Jane was last seen in her apartment prior to her going into bed at around 2 a.m. Later that morning, at 7:30 am, she was found missing from her room.

Characteristics
  • Reddish-brown, short hair.
  • Blue eyes.
  • Had some gold teeth which were visible.
  • Light complexion.
  • Has a small round scar between her eyebrows.
Clothing and accessories
  • She wore contact lenses at the time of her disappearance.
  • Blue, zippered sweatshirt with a pouch and hood.
  • Blue, denim 'Wrangler' jeans
  • Large black shoulder bag.
  • Red 'Cougar' running shoes.
Sources

LINK:
Jane Smith

Probably a longshot, but at least this suggestion can work as a bump for Jane Smith. Irondequoit Jane Doe has significant dental gold foil restorations, not gold teeth, though. Stats (when available) and timeline fits. Feel free to call it in!

Irondequoit Jane Doe's thread:
NY - NY - Irondequoit, WhtFem Skeletal 122UFNY, 14-23, in shallow grave, July'88
I've spent the past half hour comparing these two. Glad I'm not the only one who thinks it's a possibility. It would be nice to know more about her "gold teeth." Maybe they actually were gold foil

The family have 0 reason to believe Jane ran away and failed to call for over 10 years prior to her passing... that being said, ^^^ that is unlikely her.

Jane had short hair at the time of her disappearance. A pixie cut which can be seen in one photo of her opening the external door to her apt.

A local crime writer (Sarah May) states in her write up that Jane had called her FIANCE after getting off work, and asked him to come over. She was last seen alive at 2am standing at the door.

I do not believe Jane made it more than 48 hrs after the time she went missing. Jane had 0 reason to run away. She wasn't doing badly in school, she didn't have any addiction issues, she wasn't involved in crime (though who knows who this fiance was), and she had local obligations (school and work). She had never run away before, and gave no mention of any plans to do so to anyone.

Directly out the back of Jane's apt is a river (Junction Creek), which in August would have been normal depth; if not lower due to heat. Had she slept walked and drowned, she would have CERTAINLY been found.

I personally feel there is involvement with this male. There has been conflicting word as to whether he existed or not, but I believe Sarah recieved her info from police or good sources. She has no reason to make things up or just write about hearsay, and she has a great reputation.

After Janes disappearance the school tried to do fundraisers which were met with minimal support. The school actually had written complaints in their news paper about the lack of support.

There was speculation that talk surrounding details of her disappearance were the cause of the lack of support.

I have questioned if this is because there was fear involved with relation to the male that was potentially involved (ie. No one wanted to get involved), or because people believed she ran away with him initially (not anymore).

Newsletter article:
FB-IMG-1577155564708

The family have 0 reason to believe Jane ran away and failed to call for over 10 years prior to her passing... that being said, ^^^ that is unlikely her.

Jane had short hair at the time of her disappearance. A pixie cut which can be seen in one photo of her opening the external door to her apt.

A local crime writer (Sarah May) states in her write up that Jane had called her FIANCE after getting off work, and asked him to come over. She was last seen alive at 2am standing at the door.

I do not believe Jane made it more than 48 hrs after the time she went missing. Jane had 0 reason to run away. She wasn't doing badly in school, she didn't have any addiction issues, she wasn't involved in crime (though who knows who this fiance was), and she had local obligations (school and work). She had never run away before, and gave no mention of any plans to do so to anyone.

Directly out the back of Jane's apt is a river (Junction Creek), which in August would have been normal depth; if not lower due to heat. Had she slept walked and drowned, she would have CERTAINLY been found.

I personally feel there is involvement with this male. There has been conflicting word as to whether he existed or not, but I believe Sarah recieved her info from police or good sources. She has no reason to make things up or just write about hearsay, and she has a great reputation.

After Janes disappearance the school tried to do fundraisers which were met with minimal support. The school actually had written complaints in their news paper about the lack of support.

There was speculation that talk surrounding details of her disappearance were the cause of the lack of support.

I have questioned if this is because there was fear involved with relation to the male that was potentially involved (ie. No one wanted to get involved), or because people believed she ran away with him initially (not anymore).

Newsletter article:
FB-IMG-1577155564708
Probably unhelpful, but at least it will bump Jane’s thread. I would speculate, purely MOO, that the ’talk surrounding the details of her disappearance were the cause of the lack of support’ was less likely to be fear of this fiancé, but may have been down to Uni Rumour Mill. The examples I’m adding have nothing to do with reality, nothing to do with Jane. If the gossip was “oh, the cops know X did it” “the cops will arrest X” “she stole guns from Canadian Tire to sell” “she took off for Toronto” “she hung out with sketchy townies/bikers/drug dealers“, anyone hearing/believing or creating these stories wouldn’t be fundraising. None of this has anything to do with Jane. MOO, because I remember the unchecked rumours at Uni (a different Uni in a similar small city in Ontario) when anything bad happened, and for many, the deciding factor for interest was how likely it was to be school related/random rather than targeted, the wild stories which circulated about people, with no shred of truth, repeated as fact by the time the story had been around campus a couple of times, and many fundraisers with limited interest, usually the same people contributing again and again.
I do wonder about her job at Canadian Tire. They have staff for each aisle who literally are there to talk to and help customers. I know how many ladies who work there cannot get rid of the (heavily skewed to male) customers. How many of those customers come back at the same time when they know which shift it is. IMO it would have been frighteningly easy to get saddled with a stalker.
JMOO
Edit because words.

Last edited:
I have the impression that she had a boyfriend with whom she went to get together and I don't know, maybe she told him that she was pregnant and he reacted badly, not wanting to be a father and acted violently against her. I don't think a girl like that is up to something with drugs but can never be completely ruled out...
rest in peace

Site Image

MISSING
Submit a Tip
Name:
Jane Smith
Race:
Unknown
DOB:
03/19/1955
Height:
5ft4in
Weight:
Hair:
Brown
Eyes:
Blue
Last Known Location: Last seen in her apartment on Charlotte Street just before 2 a.m.
Missing Persons As Of: 08/09/1975
Jane Smith was a student at Laurentian University in Sudbury and resided on Charlotte Street. On the 9th of August 1975, Jane Smith was last seen in her apartment just before she retired for bed at 2 a.m., and was found missing from her room that morning at 7:30 am. All her personal belongings were left behind. Jane was 20 years of age at the time of her disappearance. She is described as 5'4, 115 lbs., reddish/brown hair, blue eyes, small round scar between eyebrows and wore contact lenses. She had some gold teeth. She was last seen wearing a blue sweatshirt with a zipper with pouch and hood, Wrangler blue jeans, and red Cougar running shoes, and had a large black shoulder bag. Police investigation to date cannot rule out the possibility that Jane has been a victim of foul play due to the duration of time since she went missing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx
Back