CANADA Canada - Joe Grozelle, 21, RMC student, Kingston, Ont, 22 Oct 2003

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
And another young male found in the water near RMC

Body of reservist missing in Kingston, Ont., found near LaSalle Causeway

The body of Pte. Michal Beaman was pulled from the water at the mouth of the Cataraqui River Wednesday afternoon, metres south of the LaSalle Causeway on the grounds of the Royal Military College.

A large group of military members, OPP officers and Kingston police gathered around a blue tarp at the side of the water on Wednesday afternoon....

And another young male found in the water near RMC

Body of reservist missing in Kingston, Ont., found near LaSalle Causeway

The body of Pte. Michal Beaman was pulled from the water at the mouth of the Cataraqui River Wednesday afternoon, metres south of the LaSalle Causeway on the grounds of the Royal Military College.

A large group of military members, OPP officers and Kingston police gathered around a blue tarp at the side of the water on Wednesday afternoon....

Oh no, not another one.

I thought of Joe when I saw he was missing, but I missed this update.

I'd been inactive for a while and didn't know about the play either - hopefully I can get there this weekend before it closes. My boyfriend grew up in Ridgetown and we both live there ourselves.

Hazing incidents? Hazing in sports is pretty violent and many males are assaulted in various ways, With the #MeToo movement recently coming out regarding hockey, I wouldn't be surprised if RMC has/had issues too.
Hazing was the very first thing that I thought & tbh the only thing that makes any sense to me. Especially since it was in the early weeks of a pivotal 3rd year at the military academy.
I also find it extremely suspect that hazing has never been mentioned in any of the investigations I've seen, & it defies logic it was not occuring at the institution at that time.

Hazing was the very first thing that I thought & tbh the only thing that makes any sense to me. Especially since it was in the early weeks of a pivotal 3rd year at the military academy.
I also find it extremely suspect that hazing has never been mentioned in any of the investigations I've seen, & it defies logic it was not occuring at the institution at that time.

Agreed. Hazing is a very real possibility, and given the nature of the military and internal investigations that I know about, it's entirely possible that this was covered up.

Has the family ever made any statements in regards to this? I would be pushing for access to the investigation documents pertaining to his peers, and furthermore, his commanding officers etc.

Anyone familiar with RMC knows that there are many things that leadership do to "train" their would-be officers right from the very 1st day. It is absolutely not out of the realm of possibility that something happened to this guy by leadership, not necessarily peers.

April 19 2022 rbbm.
Want to solve cold cases? Don't count on police: London author | London Free Press (lfpress.com)
book1-e1650326612717.jpg

"London author Michael Arntfield analyses the cases of Joe Grozelle and Karen Caughlin in his new book How To Solve a Cold Case. (Handout photos)
A former London police detective has penned a new book on unsolved homicides in which he argues police alone aren’t always best suited to investigate cold cases.''

''One emerging practice Arntfield singles out as promising is investigative genetic genealogy, the use of genetic information from companies like GEDMatch and FamilyTreeDNA to identify suspects or victims in crimes

“It doesn’t lead you to the person, but it will point you to, typically, a bloodline and you can start digging from there,” he said of the practice. “So, you just narrowed the haystack by hundreds of millions of people.”

''Arntfield also delves into the death of Chatham-Kent native Joe Grozelle, 21, who went missing from his dorm at the Royal Military College in Kingston on Oct. 22, 2003. His body was found three weeks later in a river near campus''
''Investigations by the military police, the OPP and a coroner’s inquest determined Grozelle died by suicide or an accident. But the Cold Case Society at Western – a collaboration between students and academics to research unsolved crimes – concluded Grozelle likely had been killed.

“Basically, we wrote up a report saying this overwhelmingly points to foul play,” said Arntfield, who founded the Western-based think-tank in 2011.''

Last edited:
Does anyone know of any podcasts on Joe? I only found one episode on one podcast when I searched recently. There aren't many people on YouTube talking about him either - I've only found the Fifth Estate episode. I wish more true crime storytellers and investigative journalists were talking about it, if only to gain some visibility. I've lived in Kingston for 10 years and have been watching/listening to true crime stories for years, yet I only heard about this case last month, so I suspect many don't know about it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kristens5487
Back