CANADA Canada - Kam McLeod, 19, & Bryer Schmegelsky, 18, last seen Sask, mid July 2019 *Armed & Dangerous*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree public safety comes first, but I see nothing that indicates that they were well aware that these two were anything more than missing youths in the beginning of this, at least up until finding the burnt truck/3rd victim and following the evidence gathered from there. JMO

I agree, this investigations has been in constant motion, from discovering the burning truck on July 19th to somehow locating them driving a 2011 RAV4 in northern Sask on the 21st. Public safety does come first but police need to be certain of the threat who’s posing the risk. Early on it couldn’t have been known if the two missing young men were also victims of a killer who murdered the man found nearby.

Has there been any articles released making mention of stolen items and/or their potential usage?

ETA: Not doubting that could have happened. I just hadn't read mention of that before so wondering if I missed something.
No, that's all my own inference. When I backpacked out west 25 years ago, travellers all seemed to rely on credit cards. I find it hard to believe that Lucas and Chynna would be relying on cash when digital payment is available everywhere.

MOO but maybe it wasn't a botched robbery. Maybe they had planned all along to kill people and the need to steal cars was simply to necessitate the ability to remain free and commit more murders.
Sure that is possible, but that is much more rare. None of us know but I am just going along the criminal justice data on ranking types of murders.

firearms acquisition licences take attending a course, background checks, crim check and then you can purchase a long gun. a handgun takes a secondary course (usually just another day in class). you can buy long guns and ammo at canadian tire, cabela’s, etc with your FAC. there is no registry for a long gun, like there is with handguns. semi auto weapons are pinned at max bullets per mag i think it’s 8 but not sure exact amount

eta: you have to send away to the feds for your card licence and it takes weeks-months to get your card back

I lived in Canada for a few years with work.

And 18 year old without a criminal record can buy high powered rifles, semi auto riffles etc legally fairly quick and easily. process takes a mater of weeks in waiting period but not hard at all. The main difference in canada is handguns

Walmart has sporting goods, with hunting supplies, including guns. How about Port Alberni Walmart?

nothing in msm about type of gun, so far.
Any type of gun would have sufficed.

Canadians have every right to restrict handguns, but in this crime canada's gun laws would not have blocked or impeded the murders since they could have been done with any kind of gun. and getting one in Canada is very easy relative to the almost the entire rest of the world. It has for example nowhere near the EU, UK or Australia type of control

Coroner/ME work is a process. From the first arrival at the scene to the final determination the coroners could/would informally be telling thee best educated guesses to law enforcement to help with initial investigation, possible identification of killers, time of death, means and manner, eg type of knife or gun. There are many reasons why that would not be released to public or even possibly denied being known or suspected:

- It could hamper prosecution by being mostly right but have errors that would give defense ability to confuse prosecutions case
- They may not want suspects to know they are suspects. this could hamper both apprehension and developing of more evidence -- and also could result in suspects killing more people if they know they are already wanted for murder.
- next of kin notification issues

I don't understand. What do these points have to do with whether it was a botched robbery or a planned thrill killing that robbery was just a byproduct of? Just because prosecutors and LE do not release ALL information to the public has nothing to do with their motive.

Actually where they are in Canada has higher homicide rates than large parts of the US.

You're trying to tell me a sleepy little town like Gillam with a population of 1,200 people is losing more than 60 people a year to homicide? lol.

And the gun homicide rate in the US is not "50x higher."

You're right, it's only 47X higher.

Canada, 2016: 233 gun homicides Homicide in Canada, 2016

USA, 2016: 11,004 gun homicides Expanded Homicide Data Table 4

And why are you making it about guns?

Because all of your posts have been about guns?

These two, unless under the influence of drugs, like most guys that age will be very hungry, tired and cranky, imo, speculation.
Wondering if they will try and stay at some rundown motel where people do not look at you or ask too many questions?
Assuming and hoping this has hit all the Canadian, foreign language media too.
BS appears to be quite experienced in going
without food based on his photos and stick body.
And I cringe to think they may have had a good
24 hour headstart to get another vehicle and
get out of Gilliam.
Plus it's surprising the people who never pay attention to the news or what's happening out
in the world.
I agree they're probably holed up and resting up, maybe in an abandoned home or cabin
or even in some local's home for all we know.

I suspect that when they stopped in SK they likely used a victim's credit card, which LE would have been watching for. LE would then check security video to see who used it and got the most recent images of the pair. At that time they would have been considered suspects, not missing.

I think so too, LE was able to determine in advance any missing credit or debit cards of the victims and the culprits were too naive to have thought about being traced that way. Instead they probably thought they’d outsmarted everybody.

MOO but maybe it wasn't a botched robbery. Maybe they had planned all along to kill people and the need to steal cars was simply to necessitate the ability to remain free and commit more murders.

One thing I keep wondering is whether their whole trip started out as a drug run. Port Alberni is very close to Ucluelet (sp?), that port those two dudes came into a while back allegedly with a ton of drugs from South America and were subsequently murdered. I think their names were Dan and Ryan? I remember reading in that thread that the port/area is a big offloading area for drugs.

It sounds like just the ferry ride they took to get to the mainland was very expensive; with that plus gas and other expenses, I'm hard pressed to see why they would go all the way to freaking Whitehorse just to look for work.

But I could see a scenario where they were the middlemen in running a shipment up to Whitehorse (or somewhere in the region, but I think Whitehorse is most likely). Let's say they have money to make the trip, and are expecting payment upon arrival which will enable them to make the return trip, but instead when they get to Whitehorse they get jacked, are left with no drugs or money, and go into desperation mode.

firearms acquisition licences take attending a course, background checks, crim check and then you can purchase a long gun. a handgun takes a secondary course (usually just another day in class). you can buy long guns and ammo at canadian tire, cabela’s, etc with your FAC. there is no registry for a long gun, like there is with handguns. semi auto weapons are pinned at max bullets per mag i think it’s 8 but not sure exact amount

I was just about to post this.

It's not that easy to purchase any gun in Canada. You must have a PAL (Possession and Acquisition License) and this requires a course, a practical and written test prior to receipt of your License. You need references and background checks. It's easier for a shotgun but not for a handgun. There's more to it.

They might have taken a family member's gun or purchased it on the black market. A lot of guns used in crime are not obtained legally.

Walmart has sporting goods, with hunting supplies, including guns. How about Port Alberni Walmart?
With a PAL (possession and acquisition licence) which any 18 year old with adult priors can fairly easily get you can by either at gun selling places in Canada.

In the US walmart only sells guns with full federal 4473 background process, but will sell ammo to any adult. That is walmarts minimum requirement, in some states you need a firearms licence or registration to buy ammo at walmart.

In canada you nee a PAL for both gun or ammo

Photos at the link
Sarah MacDonald on Twitter

Sarah MacDonald
@smacdonald__
Good morning from #Iskut—80 km south of #DeaseLake. Murder suspects Bryer #Schmegelsky and Kam McLeod are now thought to be several province's east, but they've allegedly left a trail of destruction behind. @BCRCMPare still combing multiple crime scenes in the area.

#UPDATE: We've now accessed the site where that truck—driven by homicide suspects Bryer Schmegelsky and Kam McLeod—was found, burning, near #DeaseLake last week. The body of an unidentified man, suspected to have been killed by the pair, was found a short distance away. @GlobalBC

To answer questions regarding the above photos of the active scene, with the burnt truck that was driven by #Schmegelsky and McLeod: we're told by @BCRCMP the truck's fibreglass camper melted in the fire. The structure on the left was built by arson investigators. /1

@BCRCMPtell us that us that, as investigators methodically comb through the charred items inside the truck, they are laying them out on that blue tarp to log and keep track of them. Interestingly, a burnt computer is among the items. /2

As for the tent in the right foreground: that, too, was erected by
@BCRCMP investigators on site. They've now been securing the scene—one of several still-active crime scenes—for nearly six days. Dozens of @BCRCMP members have now travelled to #DeaseLake to assist. /3

Re, burnt truck and camper
On the tarp I'm guessing are pieces of wreckage from the fire. Looks like a sink and maybe an oven from the inside of what's left of the camper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiw1234