GUILTY Canada - Karissa Boudreau, 12, Bridgewater, NS, 27 Jan 2008

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thank you Canuck- Do they have a life w/o parole? Life? I remember Karla H.'s case, and it seems like she got off easy- I hope this isnt the case in all of Canada.

They do not have life w/o parole in Canada but the usual sentence for a first degree murder conviction is life with a minimal of 25 years to serve before the convict becomes eligible for parole. This does not mean that parole is automatically granted after 25 years, only that the convict can apply for it. Another difference is that in Canada any sentence of two years and more is served in a federal penitentiary since the Criminal Code is an exclusive federal jurisdiction - meaning all provinces have the same criminal code.

As for Homolka she got a light sentence because she had plea-bargained before evidence was uncovered that proved she wasn't the powerless battered wife and unwilling participant in her husband's crimes she and her attorney had portrayed her as being during her trial. When this evidence (video tapes) surfaced she had already been sentenced and in Canada, just like in the US, one cannot be tried twice for the same crime unless the convict him/herself requests a new trial on grounds of new evidence that wasn't available during the first trial. The prosecution doesn't have that prerogative.

The case at hand appears quite different: it's pretty straightforward and apparently leaves little room for plea bargaining, unless the mother is protecting the boyfriend as it sometimes happens in such cases. There also appears to be some sort of custody battle at play.

Hi,

I'm posting about this case too, only on another thread. Is there a way we could combine?

I am very interested in this case and don't want to miss anything.

Welcome to the forum, Mazama.

This is from your second link:

She was remanded into custody and ordered to be back in court June 24 to face the charge related to the death of her daughter, Karissa Boudreau.

Penny Boudreau was ordered not to have any contact with witnesses, including her boyfriend Vernon MacCumber, who was described by the Crown attorney as a "material witness."

---
It makes me wonder how much her boyfriend knows of what happened that night. I guess we will have to wait until trial to find out.

Penny Boudreau was a no-show in court today:

http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/Front/9007362.html

Can someone explain what this statement from the article means:

Boudreau first appeared in provincial court June 16 and has not had an opportunity to speak to the charge.

Is it referring to her plea?

Thanks Elepher.

Is the mother in prison awaiting her trial? The post from June said she was a no-show for court which made me wonder.

It is very abnormal for a mother to kill a child as old as twelve.

Yes, the mother is in jail awaiting trial. There was mention of a $50,000 bail option but she either elected not to try for bail or there was no money for the bail (meaning nobody came forward to bail her out). She has been in jail since the day she was charged with 1st degree murder. No death penalties in Canada - 1st degree murder charges here in Canada indicate that the murder was premeditated.

Very strange, sad and disturbing case.

Update: Court date for the accused is tomorrow - hopefully no more delays om this case - will be watching and listening closely.

This was in my neighbouring province- 2 hours away. They found Karissa's body one year ago almost to the day- the Mom confessed today- we are all reeling that this could happen-

http://thechronicleherald.ca/

BRIDGEWATER — Karissa Boudreau looked into her mother's eyes and struggled to breathe as the very hands that had cradled her as a baby tightened the twine around her neck and strangled the life out of her.

The last thing Karissa saw was the eyes of the woman who was supposed to treasure and love her above all else, but instead pinned her to the cold ground and pulled the twine taut until she struggled no more.

More at link....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro
Back