CANADA Canada - Lindsey Nicholls, 14, Comox Valley, 2 Aug 1993

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I am always surprised that no urgent action is taken with the “fugitives” or that they are not even investigated...yet, they are vulnerable and in danger...if it doesn't start out as foul play, chances are it won't come across none, there are not many...
The police consider it a waste of resources, especially when it comes to children who run away from home frequently... I understand why, but if it were my daughter, I would want them to look for her...
The worst missing persons cases are those that are not taken seriously due to assumptions...the mere fact that she was young, vulnerable, and on the run means that she was more likely to encounter danger or trust the wrong person. ..
either way
rest in peace

1722688213723.png
Judy Peterson has coped with the disappearance of her daughter by creating lasting systemic change. (Photograph by Nik West)
1722688283231.png
Lindsey, 14 (middle), with her sister Kim, 11, and their mother Judy Peterson at Disneyland a few months before the disappearance. (Photograph courtesy of Judy Peterson
By Mary Baxter | August 1, 2024
''Ever since, Peterson has searched for her daughter. She has put up posters, combed Vancouver streets — where Lindsey had friends — and launched publicity campaigns on the many anniversaries of Lindsey’s disappearance. It all came to nothing. And then she devoted more than 15 frustrating years to lobbying the federal government to develop a national missing persons DNA database so she could search the whole country for Lindsey’s remains.

Her work has reached far beyond her own tragedy: it has transformed the odds for other Canadians whose loved ones have gone missing. As of June 2024, the National Missing Persons DNA Program contains more than 2,500 DNA profiles from missing persons, family members and unidentified human remains. The program has helped identify more than 90 people in about five years of operation, far more than anyone expected.

Peterson, now 69, doesn’t consider herself a hero. The possibility of being depicted as one was her greatest worry when I asked her to tell me her story. She views herself as an ordinary person, flawed and doing her best to cope with an unimaginably difficult and painful situation.''

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HatsDom
Back