CANADA Canada - Ljubica Topic, 6, Windsor, Ont, 14 May 1971

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I don’t think anyone here can help with the info you requested as the name wasn’t shared with the general public. Your file may be help with a different police beach perhaps like OPP? May be worth asking them?

I am reaching out to the Websleuth community for any information regarding the killer of Ljubica Topic in 1971.

I was sexually molested at the age of four, sometime between May and October 1969, exact date is not known. The incident took place in the alley behind the 1500 block of Dougall Ave and Church St. My parents reported it to Windsor Police but I don’t have details of what was done at that time. My parents are since deceased and when I contacted Windsor Police for an access request for my records, they could find no record of it (too old of a file).

My memory of some aspects of the incident are clear and I have a general picture in my head of the man’s appearance and his vehicle. Before it happened, I was playing in the alley with a group of older neighbourhood children and this person gave them some money and told them to go to the corner store and leave me behind. He tried to persuade me to get in his car, but I shook my head ‘no’ and so he molested me and pleasured himself and thankfully he left in his car alone. I returned home with some coins in my hand and when my mother asked where the money came from I told her. The look of fear in her eyes is something that sticks with me, but I think she played it pretty cool so she wouldn’t frighten me. It wasn’t until after her death in 1993 that I read an article about a “cold-case” in Windsor of the murder of Ljubica Topic. The thing I noticed first was the similarity in our appearance and then reading the few details given I was a bit shaken wondering if this was the same man. I spoke with my older siblings and they said my mother always wondered the same, but she never spoke to me about it. Over the years I would wonder if I had anything to contribute to solve Ljubica’s case but I really don’t have concrete memories that I could swear to in court, and there is fear and shame involved with telling my story. At one point, the police issued a sketch of what the suspect might look like. It did not seem to jive with my recollection of his face, but still I wondered. Now that her case has been closed definitively, I find myself wondering even more if this is the same individual. If that is the case, I was incredibly lucky that no violence occurred in the incident I was involved in. Perhaps because I didn’t put up a fight? Maybe he was just getting started and hadn’t escalated yet? I would like to see a picture of the person they have identified as her killer, preferably from that time period so that I can put this to rest in my mind after over 50 years.

I have contacted Windsor Police Victim Services; the Information & Privacy Commission; Percy Hatfield’s office; and even a private investigator……all with absolutely no support.

I do wonder if there are others like me with similar stories that were largely ignored by Windsor Police at the time prior to Ljubica’s murder? Please reach out with any information you may have to share.

Thank you.
It’s a long shot but try the brother on FB.

Nov 4 2022
1667584445309.png
rbbm.
Trevor Wilhelm

''The Windsor police major crimes unit has received an award for solving a horrific cold case that haunted the city for nearly five decades.''
Officers accepted the 2022 Lynda Shaw Memorial Award on Thursday in recognition of their work solving the 1971 murder of Ljubica Topic.''

“We’re extremely proud of the exceptional work of our Major Crimes Unit,” said Acting Chief Jason Bellaire. “This award underscores the professionalism, dedication and tenacity of the many members who worked on this heinous case over the past 48 years.”

''Staff Sgt. Scott Chapman and Const. Terry Dodich accepted the award on behalf of the major crimes unit at the OHIA annual conference in Niagara Falls.''

''Investigators announced in December 2019 they had finally solved the case with the help of DNA testing, though they did not reveal his name. Investigators said at the time that the suspect had recently died.

Police said they identified the suspect using evidence that had been preserved since 1971. The case also involved one of the first uses of Investigative Genetic Genealogy in Canada.''

Nov 4 2022
View attachment 377993
rbbm.
Trevor Wilhelm

''The Windsor police major crimes unit has received an award for solving a horrific cold case that haunted the city for nearly five decades.''
Officers accepted the 2022 Lynda Shaw Memorial Award on Thursday in recognition of their work solving the 1971 murder of Ljubica Topic.''

“We’re extremely proud of the exceptional work of our Major Crimes Unit,” said Acting Chief Jason Bellaire. “This award underscores the professionalism, dedication and tenacity of the many members who worked on this heinous case over the past 48 years.”

''Staff Sgt. Scott Chapman and Const. Terry Dodich accepted the award on behalf of the major crimes unit at the OHIA annual conference in Niagara Falls.''

''Investigators announced in December 2019 they had finally solved the case with the help of DNA testing, though they did not reveal his name. Investigators said at the time that the suspect had recently died.

Police said they identified the suspect using evidence that had been preserved since 1971. The case also involved one of the first uses of Investigative Genetic Genealogy in Canada.''

I am still certain that this was not this perpetrator's first offence.

I so wish they'd release his name & photo so that other victims may see their personal hauntings dealt with -- if only by knowing the man that harmed htem is no more.

There is nothing requiring them to stay silent on this front and it is absolutely frustrating to me that they do.

Ljubica's killer identified as Frank Arthur Hall

The Windsor Police Service is publicly identifying the man responsible for the 1971 murder of 6-year-old Ljubica Topic.
Through relentless investigative work and advances in forensic technology, our Major Crimes Unit solved the decades-old mystery in 2019. Now, following an internal review of the case, we are confirming that Frank Arthur Hall, then 22 years old, was the person who committed the horrific homicide.
At the time of the murder, Frank Hall lived in the 1800 block of Drouillard Rd. – less than two kilometres down the street from the Topic family’s residence. DNA evidence was crucial in establishing Hall as the person who murdered Ljubica Topic.

1675952429569.png
Frank Arthur Hall is shown in this photo released by Windsor Police. (Source: WPS)
rbbm
''Police say Frank Arthur Hall, then 22 years old, was the person who killed Ljubica Topic in 1971.

“Through relentless investigative work and advances in forensic technology, our Major Crimes Unit solved the decades-old mystery in 2019,” said a news release from police. “Now, following an internal review of the case, we are confirming that Frank Arthur Hall, then 22 years old, was the person who committed the horrific homicide.”

Topic was abducted, sexually assaulted, and murdered on May 14, 1971. Police say she had been playing outside her family's home on Drouillard Road when a stranger lured her away with the promise of money. She was later found, deceased, near an alley one kilometre away.''

''At the time of the murder, Hall lived in the 1800 block of Drouillard Road, which was less than two kilometres down the street from the Topic family’s residence. Police say DNA evidence was crucial in establishing Hall as the person who murdered Ljubica Topic.

Hall later moved from Windsor to Edmonton, Alberta, where he remained until his death at the age of 70 in February 2019.

Windsor police initially declined to name Hall as the individual who murdered Topic, citing the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, but police say the new leadership team reexamined and ultimately overturned the decision.''

so who is the ex wife - I can't find it - the family tree is all over the place
See the Windsor Police Service post announcing his name that was previously linked:

I posted the link after he was named - so I know, but they didn't post anything about his family. No worries, I sorted it all out.

Feb 9, 2023
''Ljubica Topic was six years old when she was abducted from outside her Windsor, Ont., home in 1971, and was later found dead near an alley about one kilometre away. On Wednesday, police finally named the man they say committed the crime — Frank Arthur Hall, who died in Edmonton in February 2019 at age 70. Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/1.6742539''

This week, police released his name: Frank Arthur Hall, a neighbor of the Topic family. He died in 2019 in Edmonton.

Officers were able to solve the case in part because at some point, one of Hall’s relatives uploaded her genetic information to a public database, according to Windsor Police Staff Sgt. Scott Chapman, who worked on the case for five years.

“We put Frank Hall’s DNA in them. [genealogical] database, GED match and family tree DNA … which leads us to discover individuals who share his DNA level,” Chapman explained Friday.

Brad Hunter Oct 01, 2023
1696255955757.png
Frank Arthur Hall, left, and Ljubica Topic.
''411:
The rape and murder of six-year-old Ljubica Topic on May 14, 1971, was the most sinister and horrific crime in the border city’s history. Ljubica and her brother were approached by an unknown male who offered the boy money to ride his bike elsewhere. Her body was found in a nearby alley about four hours later.

SOLVED: In December 2020, Windsor cops announced that they had solved the case using FGG, but said the man was dead and were not releasing his name. In February, police finally revealed that the killer was Frank Arthur Hall. He moved to Edmonton after the slaying and died in 2019.''

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BootsMinor
Back