Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's just nailing down the facts. There have been conflicting reports and it's all very confusing.

And it goes toward the suit. A merchant was quoted saying he saw Bryer wearing it on graduation day. Yet he didn't seem to graduate. It's puzzling.

Weird and speculative theory but what if he faked graduating high school? Like in the Jennifer Pan case she faked graduating college. She told her parents there weren't enough tickets for the ceremony to go around to all the families, so they couldn't come. I've heard other stories of people faking having graduated too. What if he did something similar but they went to some kind of reception afterward instead of the ceremony itself?

Not sure what you're saying, that they're following in the (possible) footsteps of that guy? I've never heard of him.
No. Scott Bierle was killed in the Tallahassee incident, many years later. Victim Cynthia Watson drove a red GMC Yukon to the Sebring, FL bank murders incident. Just recent coincidences that involved Watson or Yukon.

I know!

And how weird is that: two foreign tourists killed in northern BC and RCMP arrest a suspect at the end of the highway in remote, northern Manitoba, and flash forward 36 years and two foreign tourists are killed in northern BC and RCMP are searching for suspects in that same remote northern Manitoba area.

As an added OT comment, how creepy must that Sundance place be, abandoned in 1992 but once home to workers, families, a school, a few stores...

X marks the spot with that burnt Rav4.

The road worked witness saw one man talking to both Chynna and Lucas. Something about the body language caused her concern, so she did not stop.

I would be very susprised to learn that Lucas and Chynna were travelling with an illegal gun. It's one thing to take a van on a 3 week road trip with questionable vehicle registration, but an illegal gun is a whole different problem.

I'm inclined to think that after the altercation with the bearded Caucasian man, who was close to the same height as 6'3" Lucas, the second suspect emerged. All we really know about the suspects is that if they want something, they will kill to get it. They didn't want another old vehicle. They probably wanted money. Early police reports were about a possible robbery, and all ID (except Chynna's hidden passport) was missing.

The shot through the back window doesn't tell us much. We heard that there was glass on the ground outside the van door, but if the door was open when it was shot, it could have come from any direction.

I think by the detailed vehicle description the RCMP were able to identity the vehicle associated with this person who was sighted at 11:30pm through other means, either by the presence of the highway cams on Hwy 97 or business CCTV, aside from the witnesses memory. Reportedly in her initial interview with the media she described the vehicle as a grey car. If she mistook a car for a Jeep, I wonder how accurate was her sketch. The description of the vehicle is detailed enough for this person to have been identified and it’s not even close to a truck and camper or RAV4. At 11:30pm there’s a greater chance he lived somewhere in the area, than a total stranger passing through and that’s why the LE have not repeated their interest in the identity of this person.

“Police say the man was believed to have been travelling southbound on the highway and could be connected with a Jeep Cherokee bearing a "black stripe on the hood and a black light/bull bar with small, covered lights."....”
Couple died by 'gun violence' south of Liard Hot Springs

Last edited:
I know!

And how weird is that: two foreign tourists killed in northern BC and RCMP arrest a suspect at the end of the highway in remote, northern Manitoba, and flash forward 36 years and two foreign tourists are killed in northern BC and RCMP are searching for suspects in that same remote northern Manitoba area.

As an added OT comment, how creepy must that Sundance place be, abandoned in 1992 but once home to workers, families, a school, a few stores...

How famous is this case across Canada? Did it have any connection to Kam and Bryer's various interests? I see the Fifth Estate did a program on it but it looks like it came out in 2009 and doesn't appear to be on Youtube? It could all just be coincidence. But again, it's these guys, they're weird af so who knows.

Weird and speculative theory but what if he faked graduating high school? Like in the Jennifer Pan case she faked graduating college. She told her parents there weren't enough tickets for the ceremony to go around to all the families, so they couldn't come. I've heard other stories of people faking having graduated too. What if he did something similar but they went to some kind of reception afterward instead of the ceremony itself?
I honestly wouldn't be surprised. None of the dates and times match up in relation to KM graduating, the newspaper's lack of coverage of BS, and the purchase of the suit. The fact there is a proud pic of him in a suit but not in a cap and gown makes me think he didn't have a cap and gown because he didn't graduate.

I really do think his family had been led to believe that he graduated and they are just repeating what they had been told.

If other people in his family hadn't finished high school, they honestly might not know the difference. And I don't mean that unkindly! I couldn't have lied my way through a high school graduation since my folks would have known, but if I had been so inclined, I could have lied my way through a college graduation, and they likely would not have known any different since they had never been.

How famous is this case across Canada? Did it have any connection to Kam and Bryer's various interests? I see the Fifth Estate did a program on it but it looks like it came out in 2009 and doesn't appear to be on Youtube? It could all just be coincidence. But again, it's these guys, they're weird af so who knows.
I live in Canada and consider myself a bit of a true crime nut, and I had never heard of it before reading the little blurb on the Wikipedia page about Sundance and then saw that Gina20 had made a post about the murders on the Alaska Highway.

Like you say, who knows with these two...

... that’s why the LE have not repeated their interest in the identity of this person.

“Police say the man was believed to have been travelling southbound on the highway and could be connected with a Jeep Cherokee bearing a "black stripe on the hood and a black light/bull bar with small, covered lights."....”
Couple died by 'gun violence' south of Liard Hot Springs
This is my best guess ... RCMP checked video from the nearest highway camera(s) and provided that detailed description. That implies that RCMP may have seen a red truck with camper in the videos, but didn't share the info.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised. None of the dates and times match up in relation to KM graduating, the newspaper's lack of coverage of BS, and the purchase of the suit. The fact there is a proud pic of him in a suit but not in a cap and gown makes me think he didn't have a cap and gown because he didn't graduate.

I really do think his family had been led to believe that he graduated and they are just repeating what they had been told.

If other people in his family hadn't finished high school, they honestly might not know the difference. And I don't mean that unkindly! I couldn't have lied my way through a high school graduation since my folks would have known, but if I had been so inclined, I could have lied my way through a college graduation, and they likely would not have known any different since they had never been.

I didn't even go to my high school or college graduation...for all my family knows I never graduated (well technically it says online that I did, but still)...like it's really not that hard to do honestly. No offense to his family either but it sounds like his dad and grandma at least were kind of gullible when it came to him. Like they wanted to believe the best of him so they overlooked or dismissed a lot of troubling signs as just normal "growing pains" (honestly that makes this situation even more sad...I feel really bad for their families). I could see them being tricked. They were tricked about Kam and Bryer's travel plans and apparently never compared notes until after the two were long gone.

I know!

Chetwynd, B.C. and Hudson's Hope are 49 minutes apart on Highway 29. The German couple murdered in 1983 were found on a property near Chetwynd. Lucas Fowler lived on a ranch near Hudson's Hope, which is near the WAC Bennett Dam. The person or persons who killed the German couple could still be alive and well in that area. It is unbelievable, but true.

I live in Canada and consider myself a bit of a true crime nut, and I had never heard of it before reading the little blurb on the Wikipedia page about Sundance and then saw that Gina20 had made a post about the murders on the Alaska Highway.

I was at the U of Alberta from Sept 1984 and heard about that case from European students. I didn't check location in BC and assumed that infamous "Highway of Tears" ... which KM/BS may have taken briefly after Prof. Dyck murder.

I didn't even go to my high school or college graduation...for all my family knows I never graduated (well technically it says online that I did, but still)...like it's really not that hard to do honestly. No offense to his family either but it sounds like his dad and grandma at least were kind of gullible when it came to him. Like they wanted to believe the best of him so they overlooked or dismissed a lot of troubling signs as just normal "growing pains" (honestly that makes this situation even more sad...I feel really bad for their families). I could see them being tricked. They were tricked about Kam and Bryer's travel plans and apparently never compared notes until after the two were long gone.
Right, I didn't go to my master's graduation. I wasn't driving back down there for that! But I noticed he is not even listed as "not pictured," which makes it seem like to me it isn't like he just decided not to attend.

As for his family, yes, I suspect they were gullible and tended to believe what he told them, and I do feel really bad for them. I know his dad is not very popular on WS because of some of the stuff he has said and done, but I still feel really bad for him, too. I don't think they were aware of some of BS's more troubling behavior and felt like they had no reason not to trust him, though it sounds like his mother was afraid of him, according to a former coworker.

Last edited:
WTF? What kind of person comes across two brutally murdered people and their first reaction is to take photos and post them to the internet?

Right!!??? It's just basic human decency to NOT take photos. And even if they did to preserve the scene or whatever, DO NOT send them to anyone but RCMP. Argh. People can be horrible.

Credit to the person who posted it before me.

Thanks Zella! I didn't look past the flyer and missed the grads from the Learning Centre.
You're welcome! The placement is really weird in both the 2018 and 2019 newspapers. They put the alternate school kids after the grocery specials rather than immediately after the kids who graduated from the more traditional high school!

Aside from private/commercial CCTV and possible construction cams, the information obtained by highway cams would’ve been utilized by the RCMP in their investigation. In addition to possible cellphone data, I’m certain police review the tapes and various sightings of the now-turned-fugitive’s distinctive truck and camper were involved in identifying them as suspects in all three murders.

Notice all the traffic cams they would’ve passed by, regardless of which route brought them into the area?

Traffic cams -

Highway 37 north from Dease Lake to the junction of the Alaskan Hwy (97)
7CA10F43-93FF-4D00-BF18-1E21D597D643.jpeg
B.C. Highway Cams

Alaskan Hwy (97) north of Fort Nelson
6620633B-A100-4879-9092-5817F392B1B2.jpeg
B.C.Highway Cams

Right, I didn't go to my master's graduation. I wasn't driving back down there for that! But I noticed he is not even listed as "not pictured," which makes it seem like to me it isn't like he just decided not to attend.

As for his family, yes, I suspect they were gullible and tended to believe what he told them, and I do feel really bad for him. I know his dad is not very popular on WS because of some of the stuff he has said and done, but I still feel really bad for them, too. I don't think they were aware of some of BS's more troubling behavior and felt like they had no reason not to trust him, though it sounds like his mother was afraid of him, according to a former coworker.

Yeah I wasn't going to pay $60 for a cap and gown! F that...they wasted enough of my family's money already!

It definitely seems like he didn't graduate and possibly tricked them. You know, his family definitely seemed to have a lot of issues, and I know people love to criticize and blame parents of criminals even if the criminals are legal adults. But I think they tried their best and I don't think they deserved THIS...almost no parent does. Honestly I'm kind of worried about his dad. It seemed like he already had a lot of serious life issues BEFORE this all happened...plus from what I've seen it sounds like he really loved and was proud of Bryer despite having issues that made him unable to be a full parent, and I think he was his only kid too...so what happens now?

Much has been posted regarding the victims Lucas and Chynna and little about Prof Dyck. I found this Twitter about Len and I don’t believe it has been shared before. It is still really important that we remember all the victims.

I have been falling twitter while on my road trip...amazing how many people are not aware of the manhunt. Later...

Attachments

• D56D0ABB-0EF5-4BD9-878D-8D3BA5744D8A.jpeg
    D56D0ABB-0EF5-4BD9-878D-8D3BA5744D8A.jpeg
    139.9 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
This is my best guess ... RCMP checked video from the nearest highway camera(s) and provided that detailed description. That implies that RCMP may have seen a red truck with camper in the videos, but didn't share the info.

Yes, probably dozens of vehicles. If anyone did come forward with dashcam video that would be extremely beneficial as no sign of bodies on the ground would narrow down the time of the murders.

“In a news release, BC RCMP stated they believe the crime occurred between Sunday and Monday. Police want to speak with anyone who was in the area between Sunday at 4pm and Monday at 8am.

They are especially keen to speak to anyone who may have recorded a dashcam video while driving through the area, or anyone who may have "rendered assistance."

Police also found an older, blue minivan with Alberta plates at the scene. Anyone who saw the minivan is asked to contact police...”
Couple killed in Alaska Highway double homicide identified

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member