Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #13

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picking up the discussion in the last thread regarding whether the RCMP erred in not making clear there had been a double homicide by gun earlier than they did as a matter of public safety. I don’t actually have an opinion on it one way or another as I don’t feel I know enough about why the decision was made or what internal discussions were had on the issue. However, to add some devil’s advocate type thoughts on points already made by others:

-Stranger on stranger gun violence in Canada is not common, and almost unheard of where these crimes happened. The fact that these might have be targeted shootings (love triangle, domestic, drug related etc.) had to have been just as likely, if not more so, than a random dangerous stranger initially.

-There is always going to be a need to balance public safety with the need to not unnecessarily set a large geographic area on edge that may have hours between them and law enforcement assistance. Better safe than sorry is superficially appealing perhaps, but the reality is it’s harder to pull back information than it is to get it out there. I can see police wanting to wait to get the victims ID’d and take a bit of time to try understand the crime before drawing conclusions about risk to public safety. Having people and their long guns in remote areas nervous and jumpy can create its own tragic outcomes.

-There was a CBC article that quoted some guy formerly(?) of York Regional having a degree of incredulity that the BC RCMP had not acted more quickly informing the public of the nature of the homicides. I literally laughed right out loud. Who in the media thought it was valuable to ask somebody with polar opposite policing experience to weigh in on the issue? York Regional polices well more than 1,000,000 people in well less than 2,000 square km in the freaking GTA. I mean, please. It’s hard to imagine this guy knows squat about the considerations of a force in Northern British Columbia.

Anyway, as I said, I don’t feel I can have an informed enough opinion right now, so I don’t have one yet. :). Just a few thoughts on the kinds of things the RCMP may have been weighing.

What must be so terrible to all the families involved is the fact their much-loved ones did not leave this world surrounded by love and caring. I have thought about this aspect many times and just cannot imagine the pain. It must be far, far worse than the actual absence of them in their lives. I lost my husband to a terrible disease but he was surrounded by love when he passed. That was so vitally important to our family in accepting his leaving us and I feel an essential part of getting through the grieving process. For a parent, the fact one couldn't protect one's child from harm (they never stop being your child) must cause unbearable pain. I look at Chynna's mom and Lucas's dad in awe and admiration. I hope one day they all find the peace they deserve.

Is there anything more known about the perps’ cause of death? After all the misery & horror they caused the victims’ families, I have to admit I’m hoping they didn’t die on their own terms by deliberate suicide.

Daily Mail this morning seems to think they died of exposure, I’m wondering if that’s conjecture or based on anything.....

How discarded sleeping bag led police to bodies of Canadian teen serial killers | Daily Mail Online

Given the source, it is pure conjecture IMO. The autopsies are today so how would anyone know this?

I'm betting they died of exposure, starvation, bad water, etc. Sometimes punks like these are bold enough to kill others, but too cowardly to kill themselves. I wanna know what type of gun was used in the murders of the couple - how did they purchase and pay for it? (and was that also the manner of death in the botanist's case?) Guess all that will come out later.

“We (the RCMP) will also continue to offer support to the Port Alberni families of the two men as they deal with these difficult developments,” Hackett said.”
Difficult to determine motive in northern B.C. homicides following discovery of bodies believed to be suspects: police

I wondered if I’d heard this wrong when I listened to the PC but no, here it is in print. IIRC, AS does not live in Port Alberni because it was reported that he stayed with friends when he visited his son. “Offering support to the Port Alberni families” of the two men is worded in such a way as to specifically exclude him. Wonder why that is.

He said he has been homeless for two years.

-Stranger on stranger gun violence in Canada is not common, and almost unheard of where these crimes happened. The fact that these might have be targeted shootings (love triangle, domestic, drug related etc.) had to have been just as likely, if not more so, than a random dangerous stranger initially.

Maybe, but ...

British Columbia RCMP Assistant Commissioner Kevin Hackett said it would be "extremely difficult" to determine a motive for the three murders.

"Our current belief [is that there] was nothing that links our victims together. There is no indication that this was targeted at this time," he said.

Victim's family 'speechless' as Canada manhunt ends with discovery of bodies

Renata D'Aliesio‏ @RenataDAliesio
We don't yet know if rowboat was used by fugitives, but its discovery set off a cascade of events that led police to remains. Here is how that find was made: How a river guide’s sharp eye, and a sleeping bag, triggered a search that ended the RCMP manhunt.
dv9z0_9k

4:43 AM - 8 Aug 2019 pt

How a river guide’s sharp eye, and a sleeping bag, triggered a search that ended the RCMP manhunt

Maybe, but ...

British Columbia RCMP Assistant Commissioner Kevin Hackett said it would be "extremely difficult" to determine a motive for the three murders.

"Our current belief [is that there] was nothing that links our victims together. There is no indication that this was targeted at this time," he said.

Victim's family 'speechless' as Canada manhunt ends with discovery of bodies
I’m not sure what you mean? These are recent LE comments. I’m talking about the first few days of the discovery and investigation when little was clear.

I'm betting they died of exposure, starvation, bad water, etc. Sometimes punks like these are bold enough to kill others, but too cowardly to kill themselves. I wanna know what type of gun was used in the murders of the couple - how did they purchase and pay for it? (and was that also the manner of death in the botanist's case?) Guess all that will come out later.
Prof. Dyck's cause of death won't be revealed based on the family's wishes for privacy. Someone posted about the cause of death being released by the coroner's office in the case of Ben Kilmer (also from Vancouver Island). It was released based on the belief that since so many of us had gone on searches for him, and the case was so embraced by the public, that the public had some right to know. (It was the media's option whether or not to report it.) This was in direct conflict with his wife's wishes. Still, I cannot see this happening in the professor's case.

Prof. Dyck's cause of death won't be revealed based on the family's wishes for privacy. Someone posted about the cause of death being released by the coroner's office in the case of Ben Kilmer (also from Vancouver Island). It was released based on the belief that since so many of us had gone on searches for him, and the case was so embraced by the public, that the public had some right to know. (It was the media's option whether or not to report it.) This was in direct conflict with his wife's wishes. Still, I cannot see this happening in the professor's case.

It’s possible, if perhaps not likely, that it may eventually be inferred from other info we may ultimately get. If we learn that ballistics linked the crime scenes for example. The RCMP definitely managed to leave the impression at the time that the cause of death wasn’t necessarily immediately apparent though, so it may not have been a traditional weapon at all.

It’s possible, if perhaps not likely, that it may eventually be inferred from other info we may ultimately get. If we learn that ballistics linked the crime scenes for example. The RCMP definitely managed to leave the impression at the time that the cause of death wasn’t necessarily immediately apparent though, so it may not have been a traditional weapon at all.
I didn't pick up on that impression left by the RCMP. Interesting. I had wondered if ballistics had played a role in the tie-in or whether it was "simply" due to the burning of the camper and theft of the RAV4.

I guess, if the autopsies show that death took place shortly after the torching of the RAV4, the siting in York Landing will be seen as not happening, despite the detailed description of the rummagers and their clothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member