Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, BECAUSE Canadian reporters CAN'T report it. Foreign reporters are not bound or compelled to not report it, OR don't give a damn about protecting sources in some foreign country or province they'll never be back to!

RCMP have left enough clues to conclude that it is very likely that Dr. Dyck was shot. It would be the most obvious explanation for the 3 murders to be connected. However, the statement from RCMP is that the cause of death of Dr. Dyck will not be released to respect his family.

In the meantime, an Australian reporter has stated as fact that he was shot. No source is provided for this breaking news. I suppose Canadians should conclude that the RCMP is pretending to respect Dr. Dyck and his family, but they have no integrity and secretly released the information to Australia.

Of course Canadian journalists could report it. There is absolutely nothing in the law that would prevent it.

Now we’re trying to explain completely unfounded theories about leaks by inventing laws that would prevent Canadian journalists from using them?

This is off the rails.

Laws or no laws, what about RESPECT for the family of this murdered victim. JMO

The “there” comment to me was a demonstration that the dad was frustrated with the limited info as to where BS was going. Like maybe he had heard from the grandmother a different destination. Like he was calling bs on the abrupt departure, especially because they had plans to connect and the son left him with what appears to be no real explanation or apology for bailing.
Agreed! It was after a few days of no responses and Bryer not even reading his messages. I imagine he was worried and frustrated. I think the fact in the very beginning that he had to ask what to do with the $100 cologne and where BS wanted it sent indicates that he really had no clue what was happening.

MOO

And your point is what? The US media was not constrained by any social or legal necessity, hence revealed the name. So what if it was on social media first? If it was on SM first, then the Canadian press had the same access, but either did not post it because they were strongarmed into not posting it (for whatever reasons, political or otherwise), OR they were were much less competent than the US press.
Remember when social media misidentified Richard Jewel as the Olympic park bomber and the US media had jumped on it? They destroyed a guy's life. That's why the Canadian press strives to behave ethically. The repercussions of getting something wrong outweighs the value of instant news.

If the US press gets the word out an hour earlier than everybody else, that only satisfies people who sit in front of their computer all day hitting "refresh", hoping for some excitement to enter their lives. Why be slave to them? I think the Canadian media sees their mandate as to inform, not to entertain.

Not saying the do, but how do you know they don't?
There are always stories in the press about new military members that take a bullet or a grenade or turn over a truck: any military training mishap is published by the national broadcaster CBC. They are using very real weapons from the start. AirSoft rifles, pfft. Just another example of the Australian press disparaging Canada.

Ok, this is highly amusing: the Canadian police and military use AirSoft rifles for training???

"As 60 Minutes reveals, the rifle is not just considered a harmless toy: the Canadian police and military use similar weapons for training."

Dad of Lucas Fowler's alleged killer gave son rifle 'for play'

I think not:

"Learn about the weapons used by Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) members during training and operations."

Weapons - Canada.ca

Where does the Australian press come up with this stuff???

Why is this amusing? I don't know about Canada, but two of the LE agencies I work with use air guns (sometimes with plastic pellets - but not "airsoft" according to Canadian rules) for training. The US Coast Guard uses air guns for training and switched for a lot of reasons.

Coast Guard Buys Sig P229 Airsoft Clone as Its New Training Sidearm

I can post an article about confidence training in the Coast Guard (and cost of ammunition was a factor in switching to air guns).

The Air Rifle as a Military Training Weapon

Anyway, it would surprise me if the Canadian military didn't (sometimes) use such weapons. Not because they are lethal, but because they are cheap and it's known that muscle memory training daily is very important to gun use reflexes.

But they can be lethal. Almost any air powered gun could inflict lethal injuries if used in a specific manner. Even plastic pellets with low velocity can and are inflicting significant injury:

Air-Powered Guns Linked to Soaring Rates of Eye Injuries

That's the impression I got from the journalist. She comes across as very cold and without empathy, very accusatory. She made ME feel uncomfortable just watching her. She has a bit of a smirk on her face, as if she delights in trying to call him out for what's happened.
Sometimes I get the feeling that Australia has it out for all of Canada for allowing the son of a high ranking police/government official to die. The RCMP are failures, the father shall be crucified, Canada needs to change their policies to better protect tourists, the NSW police had to get involved.

ACCORDING TO AUS 9NEWS - LEONARD DYCK WAS SHOT

Aug 11, 2019

"I never gave him a real gun. I never gave him a gun that would kill someone."

Bryer Schmegelsky and Kam McLeod were wanted over the deaths of three people, including Australian man Lucas Fowler and his American girlfriend, Chynna Deese.

They were connected to the crimes after local university Professor Leonard Dyck was found shot dead on the side of a highway in regional far north Canada. bbm

Dad of Lucas Fowler's alleged killer gave son rifle 'for play'

ETA: AUS news were first to report that Lucas and Chynna were shot dead. After this report, RCMP announced the couple died of gun violence.
Perhaps RCMP will now confirm the same about Leonard Dyck.
Yes, I had read a long time ago that Prof. Dyck was shot on SM but I could not link it as it was said by someone who knew him...and so it was rumour really. But, just as some of us predicted...there would be a link between the three murders. Additionally, when everyone was quoting the lawyer that Dr. Dyck was burnt, I was trying to steer everyone away from that scenario.

Last edited:
I’m a little slow as usual, but on the where did they get a gun from topic: it’s actually really easy to get an unrestricted (rifles and shotguns) gun in Canada. If you’re 18 or older, just take a quick one day course, write an easy multiple choice test, and get your PAL (Possession and Acquisition Licence) in the mail within a month. Go to Canadian Tire and buy a gun. Easy peasy.

By law we have to keep our guns locked - in a gun case or with a trigger or cable lock, and with ammo locked in the case with the gun or stored separately - but surprise, not everyone follows the rules. BS/KM could easily have stolen a gun from a relative. But it’s possible KM had his PAL if he comes from a hunting kind of family. When I took the course for my PAL there were two teenaged girls and a teenaged boy taking the course as well. It’s a thing that happens in very rural communities, especially if they’re rednecky rural areas like mine - it’s almost a rite of passage.

The intense look and staccato way AS said, in the 60 minutes interview, “I. Never. Gave. Him. A. Gun. That. Would. Kill. Someone” makes me think theres an implication there, i.e. someone did give one of them a gun that would kill someone.

.22s are a pretty common first gun.

Again, it was LD's family that didn't want his cause of death to be released.
Perhaps the RCMP is still trying to figure out CoD? Like maybe the extent of his injuries is beyond ...

I think they used metal pellets in their entry-level gun and just kept firing, possibly ran over them, possibly the set the bodies on fire.

It was LD's family that didn't want the COD to be released.

I also remember something about his "injuries" not being released so I think we were speculating if there was more than a gunshot wound that happened to him. It's all word play and easy to get caught up in, so I'm curious if there's more.

Again, it was LD's family that didn't want his cause of death to be released.
Perhaps the RCMP is still trying to figure out CoD? Like maybe the extent of his injuries is beyond ...

I think they used metal pellets in their entry-level gun and just kept firing, possibly ran over them, possibly the set the bodies on fire.

Sometimes I get the feeling that Australia has it out for all of Canada for allowing the son of a high ranking police/government official to die. The RCMP are failures, the father shall be crucified, Canada needs to change their policies to better protect tourists, the NSW police had to get involved.
I find this rather obtuse.

As far as I’m concerned, it’s obvious that this Airsoft is what Alan Schmegelsky says it is and that you are beating a dead horse with this theory that you keep pushing that Alan Schmegelsky purchased an illegal gun.

There are in fact many legal Airsofts in that price range, and accessories boost the price quickly.

I think the gun was legal too. I am open to the possibility it was purchased either as used or stolen.

I do not see how any air type gun/bullet plastic or metal can connect the deaths. a burst of air fires it, there is no strike marks I don't think. it is not a riffled barrel. how can air gun connect?

It was LD's family that didn't want the COD to be released.

I also remember something about his "injuries" not being released so I think we were speculating if there was more than a gunshot wound that happened to him. It's all word play and easy to get caught up in, so I'm curious if there's more.

DBM double post

Last edited:
It’s entirely possible that Kam McLeod had a gun license and a gun of his own, or “borrowed” one from a relative. If so, the RCMP undoubtedly know all about it. For one thing, the RCMP runs the national gun license registry.

Port Alberni is rural enough that there are probably a fair number of people who hunt, making rifles and shotguns not uncommon, and there is also a local fish and game/shooting club.

Yes - that is entirely possible as well. We know for a fact that BS had an air gun (was it actually only firing plastic pellets? That we don't know). But we don't know if Kam had a gun.

How long does it take to process the paperwork to buy a gun in Canada? Here in California, with probably the strictest background checks in the US, I think it's 5-7 days. Once processed, then a person can buy more guns right away. If Kam applied while working at WalMart (I assume WalMart does the processing as gun stores usually do), he could have purchased a gun out of his first paycheck. I also assume that means RCMP had ready access to what type of gun he owned.

I don't think members from other countries fully understand the full extent of Canadian firearms laws. If a firearm was provided by a family member before they departed, that family member and and would very likely be charged, if neither was legally able to posess a firearm (PAL).

If they simply stole a firearm from a family member, there is still a chance that family member could be charged because of our safe storage laws. Firearms are to be locked up in such a way that they can't be easily accessed. Failure to comply will result in the owner being charged and losing their PAL and firearms.

Hunting is popular up here but the fear of losing one's firearms is great. If you loan a firearm to someone who is caught hunting illegally, that firearm will be seized.

According to Canadian law, any gun (air soft or otherwise) that's used in a crime is by definition a gun/weapon at that point. So, Alan S. is certainly not knowledgeable about Canadian gun law or he doesn't mind being charged, as he well might be. If BS didn't have a PAL (and I assume he didn't) and Alan supplied him with an air rifle that has above a 500 fps velocity, then he can certainly be charged (as I understand it). If the replica gun was under 500 fps (AK-47 replicas are not usually low velocity) I don't know how the law would treat that.

Thoughts?

That's the impression I got from the journalist. She comes across as very cold and without empathy, very accusatory. She made ME feel uncomfortable just watching her. She has a bit of a smirk on her face, as if she delights in trying to call him out for what's happened.

OMG, I thought the same...it totally creeped me out and I agree she looked amused by the whole thing.

It seems that AS is the public scapegoat for every element of his son's formation and behavior. Perhaps he is easy to blame because he has put himself out there in front of the cameras, which was his choice.

In case we forget, BS lived with his mother and her partner for a good number of years before he moved in with his grandmother. There are a lot of dynamics at play in those situations, combined with who knows what in the way of developmental issues. We have no information about critical developmental issues.

I doubt very much that one parent is entirely to blame for his child's actions, or for this whole unfortunate situation. This may be a case of a "perfect storm", where everything that could go wrong did go wrong in a child's life. There are other children in the world like this. I have my own idea about one developmental issue that could be involved, but it's not based on enough information.

There were two young men who did whatever they did together. They are responsible for their actions. Both of them. This was their decision. One family or one family member is not solely responsible for this situation. Finances and socioeconomic circumstances don't make one family culpable and the other not. Developmental issues, if there are any, do not discriminate based on social standing.

I agree. This was multi-factorial. Blaming parents is way too reductionist. All their parental guardians, the schools, the community, courts and social services, overall culture and subcultures (especially internet based subcultures), social and economic factors, and of course, their own organic brain chemistry all played a part in turning them into killers. If even one of those factors was even slightly different this never would have happened. JMO.

When I heard about the cologne I thought to myself I hope he kept the receipt so he can get his money back. I think it would be much cheaper and accessible (socio status) to buy these things from those that steal them tho.

I highly doubt he will ever get rid of that cologne...it's his last connection to his son. I also wondered about what you said in your last sentence.

Also @Zella I forgot to respond from the last thread about the lack of video footage of them...I agree it's strange no other videos of them talking, playing video games, etc. have surfaced, considering it's 2019. Seeing videos of them would give us a lot of insight into how they were before all this.

I’m a little slow as usual, but on the where did they get a gun from topic: it’s actually really easy to get an unrestricted (rifles and shotguns) gun in Canada. If you’re 18 or older, just take a quick one day course, write an easy multiple choice test, and get your PAL (Possession and Acquisition Licence) in the mail within a month. Go to Canadian Tire and buy a gun. Easy peasy.

By law we have to keep our guns locked - in a gun case or with a trigger or cable lock, and with ammo locked in the case with the gun or stored separately - but surprise, not everyone follows the rules. BS/KM could easily have stolen a gun from a relative. But it’s possible KM had his PAL if he comes from a hunting kind of family. When I took the course for my PAL there were two teenaged girls and a teenaged boy taking the course as well. It’s a thing that happens in very rural communities, especially if they’re rednecky rural areas like mine - it’s almost a rite of passage.

The intense look and staccato way AS said, in the 60 minutes interview, “I. Never. Gave. Him. A. Gun. That. Would. Kill. Someone” makes me think theres an implication there, i.e. someone did give one of them a gun that would kill someone.

.22s are a pretty common first gun.

Largely agree, with these caveats...

The gun safety course and PAL cost about CAD260 plus tax.

My gun safety course took two and a half days, and if you want to hunt, as most do, an additional hunting course is required. For someone with no background in guns, the courses are a little stressful.

Teenagers under 18 can’t get a PAL. They can only get a Minor’s License, which does not enable them to purchase a gun.

McLeod may well have had a PAL and his own gun, or may have “borrowed” one from a relative.

From what I’ve seen, Schmegelsky did not have a PAL, and his father’s statements suggest that family members are not missing a gun. I am disappointed that Australian 60 Minutes did not pursue this question, and others, more thoroughly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
afern