CANADA - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think so - someone wrote a pretty detailed account of what it's like at Manitoba's main prison. They get lots of yard time, television (not shared like in the mental health lock-up), can earn money for things to buy at commissary. But I don't think they get online access or gaming. We need a Canadian prison warden or guard to weigh in.

I wonder if they can get married and have conjugal visits.

A family member of mine worked at a maximum penitentiary with dangerous offenders and sex offenders (the worst of the worst there is), and they get conjugal visits. I'm not sure if all inmates do but I know they did at that correctional facility. I think it was pretty comfortable for the inmates. Terrible as many people who work with the inmates get PTSD after being exposed to their case loads and details of horrid crimes. Not sure these guys qualify for that kind of prison though if caught.

It will be interesting to see the evidence they do have when/if this goes to trial. Do you know if the evidence would be released to the public if the suspects don’t come out of this alive?
When anyone is killed by police officers, there is a full inquiry into the whole circumstances around their death, conducted by an independent police board. That usually includes details about crimes committed. Journalists usually get the details after the final ruling is released, which can be a long time after the incident.

However, before then, I think there'd need to be an announcement whether the homicides in BC were closed cases, or if there might be other suspects. My sense a brief summary of the known facts might be released, to justify the cases being closed.

Last edited:
Why would anyone come forward if they heard they were missing? They might make a phone call to their families, if they wanted. But apparently their families never claimed they were missing.

I agree they're not acting innocent. And I believe there are plenty of reasons to charge them with Prof Dyck's homicide. But let's not overstate the charges. It's a second degree murder charge, implying no premeditation (which could change of course).

At any rate, I doubt they knew that they were in the media until after they stole the RAV4.
I'm sorry, but I am not entirely sure I understand the question. If police were broadcasting me as missing, which is what happened, and I was just out of communication but innocent of crimes, I would certainly come forward to make them and everyone else leave me alone. I don't think that is an unusual instinct.

Now that you mention it, the possibility dawns on me that maybe the kid with no driver's license accidentally ran over poor Mr D at the rest stop and a number of supremely foolish decisions arose from their fear that they could be in big trouble if caught. Maybe the senseless murders of LF and CD were the work of another perp entirely. Just spitballing here. MOO.

Sounds quite plausible. The timeline just seems so crazy for them to have been involved in the death of LF and CD. We already know they view themselves as outcasts from their peers for being different which probably didn’t give them much hope in how they would be treated by police.

So some think these two are holing up in terrible conditions and searching dumps for food for just running over a man by accident?Sorry I don't buy it.
I am just running through different theories. Obviously at the end of the day the RCMP knows more and hopefully we will get some answers when this goes to trial. I in no way think they are innocent. Innocent people don’t go through all of the trouble they have gone through to run away. Just trying to make some sense of it all while we wait. If in fact they were spotted rummaging through a dumpster and are still wearing the same clothes as last week then I don’t think this was as planned as everyone originally thought. Maybe they aren’t two disgruntled teens that hate the world? They are running scared right now .

Can I just say that I am impressed with the patience some of you seem to have.
I'm over hear fuming about people claiming all these things that are not verified and you guys are just so calmly asking for links.

That's why we love WS

The moderators do a huge amount of work to keep it all balanced, and safe, and verified and make this a civilized place to discuss issues.

"3m ago 23:49

What we know so far
  • Kam McLeod and Bryer Schmegelsky are believed to have been spotted in York Landing, a town of roughly 450 people, 80km from Gillam, in Manitoba by the Bear Clan Patrol, an Indigenous patrol group who are based in the provincial capital of Winnipeg.

• Heavily armoured police have descended on the small town with tracker dogs, helicopters and drones and are searching for the pair.

• McLeod and Schmegelsky are suspected of killing Australian Lucas Fowler, 23, and US citizen Chynna Deese, 24, and have been charged with the death of Canadian, Leonard Dyck, 64.
    • Residents were warned to stay indoors overnight, as the search for the two men continued.

• The Royal Canadian Mounted Police confirmed as night fell in Manitoba that the suspects had not yet been caught and that the search was continuing. They asked people not to post photos of their officers onto social media, for fear of jeopardising their operations."

Canada murders: York Landing residents told to stay indoors as police search for suspects - live

Last edited:
We don't know how poor Mr. D died, or what spurred the burnt out truck and theft of the other car etc. What I have seen is that they have not threatened or hurt anyone else after that incident and I have seen no clear evidence provided by any reliable sources as to why they are suspects in the other killings. I continue to wonder if a dangerous and cruel murderer is smirking, seeing that these 2 young guys are being blamed for something they did not do.

The "dangerous and cruel" murderers you imagined has not killied anyone else since July 15, right? So they are not that dangerous really, right? They may even have a good excuse.

Seriously though, I am puzzled by all these comments. Someone who really believe they are innocent may even help them to escape justice.

Very odd what the Guardian is doing. It has UK, US and Australian editions, and they’ve decided to try and run this story from Australia instead of from their NY office, which works with Canadian writers. Maybe their Australian office is underworked :)

Generally a good newspaper though; I read it daily.
Lucas Fowler is Australian, I don't know if that plays into their decision.

Darn :(. Maybe 1 or both of them have broken an ankle or leg trying to run away through the bushes and have to quit running now. Thereby making it easier for the RCMP to catch them in the morn when weather maybe better.
As someone else mentioned earlier, if the weather conditions are bad enough to hamper LE, it is bad enough to hamper BS and KM.

You usually get what you pay for. I have nothing good to say about the mental health help in canada.

It's resources are stretched beyond thin....long wait times for accessing counselling and then not enough counselling.
MOO from what I see my patients experience

**rubs hands together* a sighting!....incredible that they have managed to remain hidden all this time, what does pique my interest is that they were sighted precisely where it could be expected, should they be alive... searching for food, and because hunger becomes the body's imperative, all thoughts of safety, and security are subdued in the relentless need for food, of whatever quality.

If it can be eaten it will be eaten.. I don't think they have any ammo or maybe not even weaponry left, otherwise they would shoot food, a rabbit, a sparrow, anything.

Hunger makes the thought process a muddled business, and one of the hard side effects of hunger is terrible depression. Hard to get going, hard to stay the course, hard to keep an eye on the goal. It will also make them really turn on each other, like wild dogs , should a situation of food divvying up arise.

And on foot!... I went back to see what footwear they were wearing in the store vid clip, couldn't see much, but not many shoes are made for 100 mile treks , unless specialized. So the shoes may be on their last legs, too.

And they ran in to the forest!.. looks like they are not about to give themselves up anytime soon. The game continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member