CANADA Canada - Maisy Odjick, 16, & Shannon Alexander, 17, Maniwaki QC, 6 Sept 2008

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
July 19 2017
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/maisy-odjick-shannon-alexander-update-1.4211829
New Police search Kitigan Zibi river in 2008 disappearance of teen girls

Investigators also expected to interview about 20 people

Sûreté du Québec began searching the Désert River near Paganakomin Road Tuesday, and are expected to return today.
attachment.php

Attachments

• maisy-odjick-10-poster.jpg
    maisy-odjick-10-poster.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 21
Updated.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/maisy-odjick-shannon-alexander-update-1.4211829
[h=1]A family's 'mixed emotions' as tip prompts new search for Quebec teens[/h]
Odjick's mother, Laurie Odjick, said police called a few weeks ago to let her know they received a tip about where the girls' bodies might be found.

"You think about the things that could have happened to her, because if she was buried there, if she was there, the horror that she might have went through," Odjick told CBC Wednesday.

"That was my thought. You don't want your child going, or suffering through any sort of pain."

attachment.php

Dive teams search Pitobig Creek on the Kitigan Zibi First Nation on July 18, 2017, after police received a tip regarding the disappearance of teenagers Maisy Odjick and Shannon Alexander. (Sûreté du Québec)

"It's like a parent's worst nightmare, not knowing. Not knowing is the thing that hits me the hardest."

Now, facing a potentially grim reality, Odjick's emotions are mixed.

"You have this in your heart where you don't want them to find anything, but then as a family you want closure," she said, with tears beginning to fill her eyes.
[h=2]Girls 'don't just disappear'[/h] It's Laurie Odjick's firm belief that there are people out there who know what happened to the two teens. She's imploring them to come forward to police.

Attachments

• pitobig-creek-kitigan-zibi-search-maisy-odjick-shannon-alexander-july-18-2017.jpg
    pitobig-creek-kitigan-zibi-search-maisy-odjick-shannon-alexander-july-18-2017.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 22
http://thefirstnationscanada.com/2017/07/why-police-renewed-their-search-for-two-missing-indigenous-teens/

Dive teams search Pitobig Creek on the Kitigan Zibi reserve on July 18, 2017, after police received a tip regarding the disappearance of teenagers Maisy Odjick and Shannon Alexander. (Sûreté du Québec) Several weeks ago police told Maisy Odjick’s mother someone came forward with a tip about where the bodies of the teens may be found.

"They went to interview that person," Laurie Odjick told CBC News. "That person drew a picture of where he was talking about. And they came in over I think in the spring to see that area and the drawing was accurate."

Police then had to wait for the land to thaw and for the water levels to lower, said Odjick. Laurie Odjick’s daughter Maisy has been missing since September 2008. (Ashley Burke/CBC) On Monday, the team of police from Montreal arrived at the reserve and started interviewing community members.

The next day police divers entered Pitobig Creek near the Maniwaki Speedway, a racetrack on the reserve.

"They needed to see in the river if we could find any evidence," said Sûreté du Québec spokesperson Martine Asselin. "If we could find of course the two young girls. But unfortunately we weren’t able to find anything."

Then came another piece of new information. Hole dug at racetrack

On Tuesday afternoon police learned the landscape had changed.

The Maniwaki Speedway had expanded over the years. Dirt was moved from the track and was dropped near the creek. That may have disrupted the shoreline, said police.

I wonder who "that person" is and how they got the idea that they might have been buried there. I personally think it's really sad and frustrating that we don't have enough information to even try and help solve this case.

I don't know if this was posted before but here's the link to an interesting read... http://www.pressreader.com/canada/ottawa-citizen/20090906/281621006367674

It says that, according to the boy who'd seen them before their disappearance, Maisy and Sahnnon had both cut their hair short, and also that Maisy had taken off her piercings (nose and lower lip). If this is true, I think it's kind of weird... Not weird in itself, but that they did it on the evening that they vanished. Why cut their hair short? And how short?

Also, the fight that happened with another boy that evening could've meant something. What if the boy didn't take it well and decided to do something vengeful?

I am kind of new to this case and I can't believe how little information is available on the case, and also that the family can't even have their questions answered. I try and make something with what I can find on the net, but it's not easy. :gaah:

Am I the first one who's decided to go and check out Maisy and Shannon's FB profiles?

Shannon's been silent since 2007. Maisy's... well, this is where it gets weird. There were (past or at least not new) relationship status that were "added on Wednesday, September 14, 2014 at 2:54 am" and also "added on Wednesday, September 14, 2014 at 2:45 am".

There is also something else :

"Graduated from Maniwaki Woodland School
High School

(Added on Thursday, February 24, 2011 at 9:29 pm)

Do you guys know if anyone has access to her Facebook account, if this is a FB bug, or if it could be possible that she was the one who made those changes years after her disappearance? I wrote to her mother, and asked her about the Facebook account access and I hope that she'll write back... This is just very strange.

I hope there are still people following this case on here...

Quebec police setting up new post near Maniwaki to help solve cold case - OttawaMatters.com

2018-09-05-missing-indegenous.jpg

The Sûreté du Québec will be launching a command post to assist in the search for two Indigenous women, who have been missing since September 6, 2008.

Maisy Odjick, 16, and Shannon Alexander, 17, were last seen in Maniwaki, Quebec.

The investigation has been marred with controversy, as Odjick's mother complained in 2009 that the police were treating the case as if the girls had just run away.

Last edited:
Quebec police setting up new post near Maniwaki to help solve cold case - OttawaMatters.com

View attachment 145745

The Sûreté du Québec will be launching a command post to assist in the search for two Indigenous women, who have been missing since September 6, 2008.

Maisy Odjick, 16, and Shannon Alexander, 17, were last seen in Maniwaki, Quebec.

The investigation has been marred with controversy, as Odjick's mother complained in 2009 that the police were treating the case as if the girls had just run away.
Thanks for the update, will add your link to this thread too.
Sûreté duQuébec beefs up cold-case squad to crack unsolved deaths

Am I the first one who's decided to go and check out Maisy and Shannon's FB profiles?

Shannon's been silent since 2007. Maisy's... well, this is where it gets weird. There were (past or at least not new) relationship status that were "added on Wednesday, September 14, 2014 at 2:54 am" and also "added on Wednesday, September 14, 2014 at 2:45 am".

There is also something else :

"Graduated from Maniwaki Woodland School
High School

(Added on Thursday, February 24, 2011 at 9:29 pm)

Do you guys know if anyone has access to her Facebook account, if this is a FB bug, or if it could be possible that she was the one who made those changes years after her disappearance? I wrote to her mother, and asked her about the Facebook account access and I hope that she'll write back... This is just very strange.

I hope there are still people following this case on here...

Did you ever hear back on this?

Did you ever hear back on this?

No, I did not get a reply from her mother. She only "reacted" to my message and questions with a sad/crying emoticon. I wonder why she didn't write anything, but, at the same time, maybe she doesn't know how things could have been updated on Maisy's profile and she's just tired of answering people's question or is trying to move on. Who knows? Or perhaps the police told her to not give information to anyone. I see that, here in Canada, LE doesn't like to give information on their "active cases". I think it's a bad thing because, sometimes, the general public could probably help find missing people and murderers.

My apologies for not being completely up to speed on this case.
Can anyone give me/us a hint as to how this case will play out?

I am upset about this missing young woman, Shannon Alexander.

Latest search for missing women — Maisy Odjick and Shannon Alexander — comes up empty
July 20, 2017
"Maisy Odjick, then 16, and Shannon Alexander, then 17, disappeared from the Kitigan Zibi homes on Sept. 6, 2008. The teens left behind their wallets, purses, clothes and medication. Maisy sent a friend a message on Facebook later that morning, but since then, there have been no signs of the young women."

Shannon Alexander, 17, and Maisy Odjick, 16,

"In the summer of 2014, Odjick’s aunt Maria Jacko received a tip on her website, findmaisyandshannon.com, that the two teens had been taken into New York State, a tip she passed on to authorities.

She also received suggestions from a psychic that the girls’ bodies may be buried in a forest, or near a lake or “56 miles north of Maniwaki” near a business district."

So strange about Facebook. Is that the school Maisy would have graduated from if she had remained in the area, and not dropped out?

Shannon Alexander | Cold cases - Sûreté du Québec
shannon_alexander.jpg

''File Number:
135-080910-003
Shannon Alexander
On September 9, 2008, Maisy Odjick’s family went to the Kitigan Zibi Anishinabeg Police Department to report her missing. On September 10, 2008, Shannon Alexander’s father went to the Sûreté du Québec de la Vallée de la Gatineau police station to report her missing. The investigation revealed that the two young women were last seen together at Shannon Alexander’s home located in Maniwaki on the morning of September 6, 2008.''

The Sûreté du Québec had portraits of Shannon Alexander and Maisy Odjick produced using age-progression technology to project what they would look like nowadays.

If you have any information that could help solve this crime, contact the Centrale de l’information criminelle of the Sûreté du Québec at 1 800 659-4264''

shannon_alexander_portrait.jpg

Maisy Odjick | Cold cases - Sûreté du Québec
maisy_odjick.jpg

''File Number:
135-080910-003

Maisy Odjick
On September 9, 2008, Maisy Odjick’s family went to the Kitigan Zibi Anishinabeg Police Department to report her missing. On September 10, 2008, Shannon Alexander’s father went to the Sûreté du Québec de la Vallée de la Gatineau police station to report her missing. The investigation revealed that the two young women were last seen together at Shannon Alexander’s home located in Maniwaki on the morning of September 6, 2008.

The Sûreté du Québec had portraits of Shannon Alexander and Maisy Odjick produced using age-progression technology to project what they would look like nowadays.

If you have any information that could help solve this crime, contact the Centrale de l’information criminelle of the Sûreté du Québec at 1 800 659-4264.''

maisy_odjick_portrait.jpg

Shannon had cut her hair earlier in the month, before she disappeared. She is my cousin. She cut her hair in solidarity with her aunt I think it was who was suffering from cancer. And I've heard about them getting into an altercation that night but could never figure out with who.

I don't know if this was posted before but here's the link to an interesting read... PressReader.com - Digital Newspaper & Magazine Subscriptions

It says that, according to the boy who'd seen them before their disappearance, Maisy and Sahnnon had both cut their hair short, and also that Maisy had taken off her piercings (nose and lower lip). If this is true, I think it's kind of weird... Not weird in itself, but that they did it on the evening that they vanished. Why cut their hair short? And how short?

Also, the fight that happened with another boy that evening could've meant something. What if the boy didn't take it well and decided to do something vengeful?

I am kind of new to this case and I can't believe how little information is available on the case, and also that the family can't even have their questions answered. I try and make something with what I can find on the net, but it's not easy. :gaah:

Ottawa Citizen
bbm.
"We have to keep hope, we have to support the families and support each other, Whiteduck said.

According to the Native Womens Association of Canada, about 600 aboriginal women went missing or were murdered between 2005 and 2010. Whiteduck said a national inquiry, as called for by premiers across the country, wouldnt be a cure-all, but would identify ongoing systemic problems which could enable solutions.

This is not only a First Nations issue, its a Canadian issue. Unfortunately, its indigenous women that appear most vulnerable right across Canada, but its all women, too. If were able to help indigenous women, were helping all women across the country.

Odjick and Alexanders unsolved case continues to consume the community, said Whiteduck.

Maisy was a student at our school, she grew up here. A lot of the young people knew her. Its a bit of a ripple effect right across. Even if you wanted to get away from it, you cant. It belongs to everyone.
I am regularly searching Aboriginalalert.ca for missing Indigenous/Aboriginal and Metis women and girls from Ottawa, Toronto and other places along the 401 highway which is known for sex trafficking as per the media and posting them to this site. I am now doing a search on this website to avoid duplicate posting.

I live in Ontario. I will also search Manitoba and Saskatchewan postings as these provinces also have a lot of missing persons.

I also posted a location in Ottawa where many people Indigenous along with white people beg for money and hang out. This is in west end Ottawa in the commercial area of Merivale road including the south part near Meadowlands Drive and not only in Vanier which is well known. Many of these people are quite young.

• Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women & Girls (MMIWG)1706456110801.png
  • ''Journalist Emmanuelle Walter spent two years investigating this crisis and has crafted a moving representative account of the disappearance of two young women, Maisy Odjick and Shannon Alexander, teenagers from western Quebec, who have been missing since September 2008. Via personal testimonies, interviews, press clippings and official documents, Walter pieces together the disappearance and loss of these two young lives, revealing these young women to us through the voices of family members and witnesses.'''

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState
Back