CANADA Canada - Marshal Iwaasa, 26, Lethbridge, Alberta, burned truck found in B.C., 17 Nov 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Good points.

2 things stood out for me also:

his sister mentioned that she and her husband would leave gift cards hidden around his home when they visited. I think last time was only a few months ago(? I’d have to go back and rewatch the above video to confirm this). That they understood how hard it was to be a student and they knew he was struggling financially.

This made me wonder if he was struggling financially more than they knew and, being too proud to ask for help, either turned to illegal means to make money, or became depressed resulting in him choosing to disappear.

The other thing I found odd -wasn’t he enrolled in a tech program at SAIT? Yet his sister mentioned he wasn’t good with technology. Seems like a. Odd program choice then.

SAIT offers a diverse range of programs relating to industrial technology, for example in the fields of chemical, oil and gas or heavy mechanical. I think the sister was referring to his use of personal communication devises, might be why the wide-sweeping word “technology” appears contradictory.

Search for Marshal planned in Lethbridge. I have no idea why. Weird.
because it's the last place he was seen. I also agree this search isn't useful. It may even be harmful, because they aren't trained or doing the search using the proper method of searching (grid? I just know they have a method). I always thought searches should be conducted by qualified people.

because it's the last place he was seen. I also agree this search isn't useful. It may even be harmful, because they aren't trained or doing the search using the proper method of searching (grid? I just know they have a method). I always thought searches should be conducted by qualified people.
Honestly - I don't think it is harmful if no one else is stepping forward to search. The main concern is really the safety of anyone with no training volunteering to search so I hope that is being carefully considered - well intentioned people get lost also.

has it been released on how the truck was set on fire? Whether it was an excelerant or not. I did read somewhere that no jerrycan was found. My guess is that the person would have left taking the jerrycan with them if that was the cause. If it was Marshal who set the blaze then I dont see him taking it with him into the woods. IMO

Does anyone know a rough estimate at how many times he would have had to stop for a fill up? His family has said from day 1, him/someone would have stopped for fuel.

I fear like so many that it was a carjacking or drug related. He kept the fact he was no longer in school from his family/most friends as well, so it very well could have been a suicide.... however why drive that far away if that was the case?

So many what ifs... I just hope he is found!

has it been released on how the truck was set on fire? Whether it was an excelerant or not. I did read somewhere that no jerrycan was found. My guess is that the person would have left taking the jerrycan with them if that was the cause. If it was Marshal who set the blaze then I dont see him taking it with him into the woods. IMO

I believe it was stated that some type of accelerant had to be used, because of the condition that it burnt to. High heat had to be a factor, as not much of the truck was left.

Does anyone know a rough estimate at how many times he would have had to stop for a fill up? His family has said from day 1, him/someone would have stopped for fuel.

I fear like so many that it was a carjacking or drug related. He kept the fact he was no longer in school from his family/most friends as well, so it very well could have been a suicide.... however why drive that far away if that was the case?

So many what ifs... I just hope he is found!

I would guess twice, but it would depend greatly on how much gas his car had when he left, how big of a tank it had, what type of driving he'd been doing on the way (city vs highway) etc. Maybe someone who knows more about cars could chime in.

I would guess twice, but it would depend greatly on how much gas his car had when he left, how big of a tank it had, what type of driving he'd been doing on the way (city vs highway) etc. Maybe someone who knows more about cars could chime in.
It also depends on personal preferences. Some people fill at 1/2 tank, others let it go down to E.

It also depends on personal preferences. Some people fill at 1/2 tank, others let it go down to E.
Gas stations are far and few between on that highway route, it's crazy to let your vehicle get close to empty. Also, you go over 4 mountain ranges to get to Pemberton, so definitely use more gas. I drive a small tank car, but I agree a big tank truck would stop at least 3 times: assuming 600 km per fillup of 24 gal tank (25 km/gal for a GMC), total distance Lethbridge to Pemberton via Vancouver, 1300 km.

Totally crazy idea, but what if Marshal's car was towed away or scooped up into a large truck and taken away?
Wild speculation, imo.
Then he would have been involved in some real crazy carp. I dont think he was that 'important' in any game. IMO

Search for Marshal planned in Lethbridge. I have no idea why. Weird.

Its possible that Marshal's family has received information that Marshal was seen in this area after visiting his mother on the day he went missing. Also no evidence has surfaced that Marshal actually drove his truck to BC so the family might as well look locally for any evidence of Marshal.
If Marshal is a victim of foul play maybe his family doesn't want to provide an explanation as to why they are searching a specific area not to tip-off any potential suspects.

Family, friends search for Lethbridge man last seen in November

According to James, roughly 80 acres of ground at Indian Battle Park and the river bottom were the main focus of the search.

No explanation was provided as to why Marshal's family chose to search the park in Lethbridge.
The family intends to search in BC in the near future.

While I have nothing my sympathy for this man's family and what they are going through...I can't help but feel they aren't releasing enough information about Marshal's past and life to be able to gather sufficient help from the public. After reading everything I can find, I still don't have a good picture of "who" Marshal is. I'd like to know who he hung out with, what his activities in Calgary were, etc.

I also still haven't seen anyone answer whether the clothing found around the truck in Pemberton were Marshal's or not.

I do think the family is searching the wrong area. I think the search should be more focused on the area in which the car was found.

While I have nothing my sympathy for this man's family and what they are going through...I can't help but feel they aren't releasing enough information about Marshal's past and life to be able to gather sufficient help from the public. After reading everything I can find, I still don't have a good picture of "who" Marshal is. I'd like to know who he hung out with, what his activities in Calgary were, etc.

I also still haven't seen anyone answer whether the clothing found around the truck in Pemberton were Marshal's or not.

I do think the family is searching the wrong area. I think the search should be more focused on the area in which the car was found.

Only my opinion, as MI appears to have been living somewhat of a double life, his family probably still doesn’t know a lot of factual information about his past. If he wasn’t going to SAIT, what was he doing in Calgary and how was he financing his lifestyle after he lost his job in the oilfield? Who did he hang out with and what had he told his current friends and acquaintances? By this time hopefully police will know some of the details through tracking such as cellphone and financial activity over the months prior to his disappearance. But I suspect they’re withholding all information from the general public and his family as well, given his present missing person status with no proof of death.

But I can’t think of one other reason IM would be untruthful with his family other than he was protecting them from what he was involved in. Unfortunately in this province of Alberta and the loss of hundreds of thousands of oilpatch jobs, gangs have continued to flourish by taking advantage of drug users who can no longer afford to pay the price of using. Were payments on the truck up to date for example, rent being paid or was IM in a desperate financial situation and was he the sort to be too proud to seek help from his family?

Running drugs from the coast to the Prairie provinces is known to be an activity to pay off debt to gangs yet it’s a very high risk “job” if nabbed by LE or discovered by a rival gang. Carrying around numerous cellphones is often a red flag of criminal involvement. However that doesn’t explain why IM’s truck was burned in the location where it was found. I never forget the saying which I have good reason to believe is 100% true — there’s no means to escape gang affiliation other than death, although I suppose that doesn’t exclude the possibility of faking it. One really odd aspect about the reported discovery of the truck - what’s the point of torching it while placing the contents, identifiable objects, connected to IM outside on the ground? That seems a total contradiction in terms of identifiability. As the area is snow covered during the winter, once spring comes I’d think additional professional ground and water searches are planned to take place.

I can sort of relate to what this family and friends must be going through and how engaging in any action, desperately hoping it might yield some clue is better than standing still in the face of total darkness, knowing nothing at all.

I have great empathy for them as well.

Only my opinion, as MI appears to have been living somewhat of a double life, his family probably still doesn’t know a lot of factual information about his past. If he wasn’t going to SAIT, what was he doing in Calgary and how was he financing his lifestyle after he lost his job in the oilfield? Who did he hang out with and what had he told his current friends and acquaintances? By this time hopefully police will know some of the details through tracking such as cellphone and financial activity over the months prior to his disappearance. But I suspect they’re withholding all information from the general public and his family as well, given his present missing person status with no proof of death.

But I can’t think of one other reason IM would be untruthful with his family other than he was protecting them from what he was involved in. Unfortunately in this province of Alberta and the loss of hundreds of thousands of oilpatch jobs, gangs have continued to flourish by taking advantage of drug users who can no longer afford to pay the price of using. Were payments on the truck up to date for example, rent being paid or was IM in a desperate financial situation and was he the sort to be too proud to seek help from his family?

Running drugs from the coast to the Prairie provinces is known to be an activity to pay off debt to gangs yet it’s a very high risk “job” if nabbed by LE or discovered by a rival gang. Carrying around numerous cellphones is often a red flag of criminal involvement. However that doesn’t explain why IM’s truck was burned in the location where it was found. I never forget the saying which I have good reason to believe is 100% true — there’s no means to escape gang affiliation other than death, although I suppose that doesn’t exclude the possibility of faking it. One really odd aspect about the reported discovery of the truck - what’s the point of torching it while placing the contents, identifiable objects, connected to IM outside on the ground? That seems a total contradiction in terms of identifiability. As the area is snow covered during the winter, once spring comes I’d think additional professional ground and water searches are planned to take place.

I can sort of relate to what this family and friends must be going through and how engaging in any action, desperately hoping it might yield some clue is better than standing still in the face of total darkness, knowing nothing at all.

I have great empathy for them as well.
Good point about the potential gang involvement. For some reason, however, I just don't feel that is what is happening here. I am leaning towards suicide - and that his body has not yet been found and is around the area the truck was found.

Good point about the potential gang involvement. For some reason, however, I just don't feel that is what is happening here. I am leaning towards suicide - and that his body has not yet been found and is around the area the truck was found.

Yes I agree, suicide is indeed a possibility. But Pemberton, BC is more than 1000 km (almost 700 miles) from Lethbridge. If I recall correctly, the family was unaware of any connection to that location. That’s the only reason it would seem unusual, to travel over 12 hours, through the Rocky Mountains from one province to the next to an unfamiliar remote location without any specific destination in mind, not contact anyone or say or even write goodbye to his closest family members.

However one reason I’m curious about any truck financing is the torching of it can sometimes represent an upward middle finger to prevent its seizure. Often times the resale value is less than the financing. To some young guys in this province, owning a truck seems to represents the epitome of life itself. The value appears to have been somewhere in the $10 to $15k range and while practical for work in the oilpatch, it’s not very practical at all for a student living in the city especially considering gas and insurance cost. So I admit, I do wonder why MI was still holding on to it.

Alberta’s sharp decline in oilfield opportunity, over 100,000 jobs lost in recent years, has hit males in their 20 to 30s especially hard as they entered the job market in boom times and that’s all they know. So indeed, for some sudden unemployment can cause lost hopes and dreams resulting in deep depression. But IM seemed to have risen above that and completed 1 1/2 years of technical education. Why’d he suddenly drop out midway and not tell his family? Surely somebody close to him, a classmate or Calgary friend knows the reason because whatever it was I think also holds the key behind his disappearance. JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dinkeydave
Back