GUILTY Canada - Melissa Richmond, 28, stabbed to death, Winchester, Ont, 24 July 2013

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
"Richmond, a member of the Canadian Armed Forces since 1988, is a geomatics technician currently employed at the Integrated Personnel Support Centre in Ottawa. He has also worked with the Mapping and Charting Establishment.

Richmond has told the media that he was receiving treatment for post-traumatic stress disorder and that he has done six overseas tours in Afghanistan and other conflict zones.

One mission in which he took part in Afghanistan involved collecting “unclassified high-resolution colour stereo imagery.” He wrote a first-person account of the mission for the 2009 edition of Canadian Military Mapper, a newsletter published by the Mapping & Charting Establishment.

The mission began around the Easter long weekend in 2009. Richmond writes that advance teams set up instruments to aid in the mapping process throughout Afghanistan, including Kandahar Airfield, Camp Bastion and three southern districts: Tarin Kowt, Qalat, Lashkar Gah

“I carried seven knives and got to fire an American M-60 (machine gun) from a Chinook . . . and we get paid for this!” he said.

Richmond writes that teams were in the air for up to 13 hours, collecting images approximately every 10 seconds. Their efforts helped in the mapping of 100,000 square kilometres of Afghanistan.

“They say when you do a job well, no one remembers, and if you mess it up you will never be forgotten,” he concludes. “The crew that made up the mission did what should be forgotten, but hopefully will be remembered. We were critically short on training and preparation time, deficient in equipment, but with more morale than we knew what to do with; we surmounted every obstacle as they arose.”

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/0...mber-of-canadian-armed-forces-pending-review/

Page 18 of the 2009 edition of Canadian Military Mapper. Richmond's account.

http://www.ibet.asttbc.org/documents/2009_MilitaryMapper.pdf

OK I found where the photo was taken, it is in Morewood ON at a place called Morewood Tire Service, a garage at the SW corner of County Rd 7 (Moffat St) and Main Street (Morewood Main Rd). County Rd 7 zigzags at this point at Main.

So LE must have been checking the road NORTH from Chesterville up to Main St in Moreville. JMO

Chesterville seems to be of importance in LE's initial investigation. JMO

I was wondering if any of the locals knew what the names of those roads were. I want to see where that intersection is in relationship to the Richmond house, any gas stations and where Melissa was found.

I'm trying to figure out what route LE thinks Harold took on his way home.

All we know is that police closed off County Road 7 whilte they searched one day. I marked it on the map that I posted a few posts back. That road has corn fields along it.

There are probably several gas stations around Chesterville, Winchester and the mall where the car was found so it doesn't make much sense to me to speculate on which gas station was used ... especially since we don't know anything about where they were earlier in the day.

I also saw no nasty writings on the FB wall. Just people like me who like to discuss all aspects of a crime or mystery. They got shot down in a hurry. Things like don't post these things because Howard may not have done it.

ITA with Wondergirl that they said they loved Melissa so much but had no anger towards the person who put her in that position.

I have been lurking around WS's since the Scott Peterson trial and have never found posters to be as close minded as that FB page.
Which is why I have been wanting to comment about the family friend who spent quite some time in front of the cameras. On the FB page she kept stating Melissa was her daughter but then it was foster daughter and then daughter in their role playing community. I think it confused some on the page.

What people don't understand is when these FB pages come about for help. They work wonderfully but when things are somewhat resolved and people who have been involved like to know details they get accused of invading privacy.
Do you guys remember the woman from Ottawa that went missing in LA? They used FB and Twitter, when she was located people asked what happened and how did that situation come about. They absolutely got nasty with those posters and called them insensitive and intrusive. When a poster mentioned asking for help and then tossing people out after their purpose was done got the group shut down.
Sad how close minded some are.

I followed the FB page very closely and I did see some of the comments prior to the page being shut down. One comment that started it all was when someone hinted that it might be the husband. Then came a barrage of replies defending the husband. Then someone wrote in and said their sister lived nearby and had seen HR's truck hauling what appeared to be a rolled up carpet that night. Someone retorted that should be reported to the police and not on a FB page. It went down hill from there.Members began getting all defensive and saying the page was to be a memorial for Melissa and not to bash HR. A few minutes later, the person's story about the truck and carpet was removed from the page (i assume by admin) Shortly thereafter, people started posting about the husband being arrested, and then it became pretty chaotic. People close to the couple demanded the site be shut down. Soon afterwards, the page was closed.

All we know is that police closed off County Road 7 whilte they searched one day. I marked it on the map that I posted a few posts back. That road has corn fields along it.

There are probably several gas stations around Chesterville, Winchester and the mall where the car was found so it doesn't make much sense to me to speculate on which gas station was used ... especially since we don't know anything about where they were earlier in the day.

They had Louchs Rd blocked off. Louchs rd goes north east out of Chesterville. In the opposite direction of the Richmond home and the opposite direction of where her body was found.

Link to street view of the intersection in the picture below. (same camper, same fence) https://maps.google.com/maps?q=ches...=T0tkcUlv1kiJQIrncp8aqg&cbp=12,66.29,,0,10.86

image.jpg

There aren't really a ton of gas stations off highway 31. (Towns this size, if they aren't on a main highway, generally have a gas station, if they have one at all. If you look at average Ontario gas prices on gasbuddy.com they started a downtrend off a high around that day. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out something like they had heard a specific station dropped their prices and decided to take two cars in and maybe leave one there while they did other things. That makes the MacEwen at 38 main st n chesterville, on a likely candidate because it's near the end of the searched area, and would make sense to search North of there if someone tipped of LE that they had seen a suspicious person on foot out there that night which corroborated with security footage.

They had Louchs Rd blocked off. Louchs rd goes north east into Chesterville.

Well, they had County road 7 blocked off (Main St) That barricade was most likely to keep people on Loucks Rd. There was probably another barricade out of frame on the right.

Well, they had County road 7 blocked off (Main St) That barricade was most likely to keep people on Loucks Rd. There was probably another barricade out of frame on the right.

Yes you are most likely right about the barricades blocking the traffic from entering County Rd 7.

The way the officers are walking, (taking a left onto County Rd 7 (Main St)) this would be the way to get from the Richmond home to where her body was found. Correct?

http://www.standard-freeholder.com/2013/08/02/couple-may-have-had-money-problems

Court documents show Howard and Melissa Richmond may have been having money problems.

On July 15 — the week before Melissa Richmond disappeared — Scotiabank filed a lawsuit against the couple seeking full repayment of a $141,000 loan.

The bank also sought possession of a Queen St. home in Winchester, owned by Howard, which he had pledged as security against the loan.

Sources tell QMI that Melissa Richmond’s life was insured for a substantial amount of money.

Another article:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/0...order-to-be-charged-with-wifes-murder-police/

explains that the lawsuit was withdrawn prior to Melissa's disappearance, with no defense being submitted.

"The lawsuit was discontinued shortly after it was filed on July 15 and before anything happened to Melissa Richmond, the Bank of Nova Scotia’s lawyer, John Hamilton, said Friday. Hamilton wouldn’t comment further on why the lawsuit was discontinued."

Yes you are most likely right about the barricades blocking the traffic from entering County Rd 7.

The way the officers are walking, (taking a left onto County Rd 7 (Main St)) this would be the way to get from the Richmond home to where her body was found. Correct?

Straight up Bank Street would be *the* way. It would be the best way to go if going through Chesterville for no apparent reason, but that raises the question of why they didn't also search Highway 9 and 43 if they didn't have a specific reason to stop the search at Chesterville (which is what makes me think he might have left his car there and had to hoof it back from her car).

The Summers Road house is between Chesterville and Ottawa. There would be no reason to go to Chesterville on the way home from Ottawa.

The Summers Road house is between Chesterville and Ottawa. There would be no reason to go to Chesterville on the way home from Ottawa.

Unless someone:
  1. Preferred taking back roads.
  2. Left something in Chesterville that they needed to pick up.
  3. Really good gas price in Chesterville?
  4. Wanted to decrease the chances they would be seen by people in general.
  5. Wanted to avoid going through Winchester (or rather, past the Tim Horton's on 31) (and risk being seen doing that by people there).

Other than those reasons, no.

Unless someone:
  1. Preferred taking back roads.
  2. Left something in Chesterville that they needed to pick up.
  3. Wanted to decrease the chances they would be seen by people in general.
  4. Wanted to avoid going through Winchester (or rather, past the Tim Horton's on 31) (and risk being seen doing that by people there).

Other than those reasons, no.

One more reason -.... Wanted to avoid the risk of being seen by someone, or cameras, at the usually very busy 24 hr Pioneer gas station on 31 at Winchester.

I think he might of gone through Russell and took the back roads home.

The point is LE has these roads blocked off and this wouldn't be the normal way I would think someone would get from where the body was found to where the Richmond's lived.

I'm thinking that this gas station that Melissa and HR were seen at together in separate vehicles has to be somewhere on this round about way of getting from the shopping center to the Richmond home or cell phone information placed someone's phone in the area of Chesterville in order for LE to even be searching here.

I like your maps much better Otto. You are a true master mapper.

Here is my version, showing where the house is located, where the shopping center is and where the road was blocked off.

http://www.zeemaps.com/view?group=633550&x=-75.488958&y=45.227751&z=8

Otto, can you extend the red county road 7 line to Moreville Main Road in Moreville, ON as per this link: http://cornwallfreenews.com/2013/07...ed-connection-to-richmond-homicide-in-ottawa/

K9 units were used at this point in the investigation too and "Locals are saying that it’s a manhunt in the Chesterville area for the husband of the deceased, or something connected, but there have been no confirmations."

Has it been reported that Melissa was seen at the gas station or was it only her vehicle (along with her husband's truck)?

Thank you otto, toom, matou and joe for the maps and map links.

I am not very good at maps, so ignore the blue lines, I just wanted to mark all the locations that we know about so far.

I wish we knew where that party took place.

MAP ( link ) or http://goo.gl/maps/9lQN3

A & F = South Keys Shopping Center (Bank Street, Ottawa) (Google street view of both Denny's and Kelsey's )

B = Morewood Tire Service ( street view ) ( image )

C = Loucks Rd. & Main Sr., Chesterville ( street view ) ( image )

D = new home ( Castle Greyskull ) 2598 Summers Rd, Winchester

E = old home 478 Queen Street, Winchester. ( link )

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charity4668
Back