CANADA Canada - Michael Dunahee, 4, Victoria, BC, 24 March 1991

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Welcome to WS JoHyphen, glad to see you posted on this thread!

It is good to see that many people are still either searching for Michael or trying to get more info to help the investigation, I know I've been trying to locate missing kids across Canada and have located a couple of them. But unfortunately some local police services either don't like or don't believe in getting the help from mediums. I continue to work on Michael's case...

Bumping for Michael.

I went to the CBS archives as another poster recommended. The clip is 2 months after the disappearance, some interesting details:

http://www.cbc.ca/archives/categori...-in-canada/michael-dunahee-victoria-1991.html

As far as the 'could they see him' debate, the park seems to be a wide open field with no big trees or meaningful visual obstructions from the sports area to the children's playground. The playground is pretty small, similar in size to what we now call tot lots in my area.

The video starts with the parents in the parking lot. The mom gestures across the parking lot and says, "He went off around behind the cars, towards the park." The reporter asks if they know he made it there, and she answers, "We didn't see him at the park, no."

The mom says that she told him not to go off with the kids there, b/c she did not know whose kids they were, and to watch out for cars on his way back (I don't understand that, b/c he would have walked to them on the field where mom was playing, not back to the parked car, but it may have just been a slip of the tongue).

The reporter says, "So that's the last memory you have of him?" and she nods and says "mm hmm."

Cut to the father on a small mound in the park itself. I find him hard to understand, but he says something about not seeing him, so he would go look for him.

The voice over then says something about the playground being in plain sight of his father and dozens of other adults, but the beginning of the clip seems to make it very clear that the parents did not see Michael make it to the playground. There is no mention at this time of anyone confirming that he made it there, and I didn't catch any mention of it anytime during the clip.

There is no mention of an older boy who was supposed to watch out for him (the mom even specifically says she did not know the other children at the playground).

The parking lot looks pretty big. From the remarks made by the reporter and the mom, it was likely at least mostly full. This would be a much easier place to grab him, straight into a vehicle, and there is mention of a suspicious or unknown black vehicle that he would have had to walk past in order to reach the park. I did not catch why the vehicle attracted notice.

I wanted to toss a few of those details out, b/c reading the thread made me think he was likely snatched from the playground, but the clip makes it sound much more likely that it occurred in the parking lot, and he never made it to the playground at all.

The book does not seem to be available on Amazon.

Canada's missing persons cases featured on new website

The RCMP has rolled out a new national website featuring unsolved missing persons cases and instances of unidentified human remains.

[snip]

The database behind the website is not complete and only represents a sampling of cases from across Canada, with just 715 entries.

[snip]

Out of 540 entries for missing children and adults, 40 records are for B.C. residents who went missing — those records include Michael Dunahee, Matthew Huszar, and a number of women who are thought to have gone missing along northern B.C.'s Highway of Tears.

More: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2013/01/31/bc-rcmp-database-missing.html

How can someone get away with that and someone not clue in that its Michael Dunahee... Great, so he is stuck with some nut that can't accept the death of his son. There has to be more people in in it. Unless this guy is a loner.

Thinking that surely someone has gone through local school year books, to see if anyone in the appropriate age group could be Michael?

Thinking that surely someone has gone through local school year books, to see if anyone in the appropriate age group could be Michael?

If he was alive and well in BC I'm pretty sure he would have been found by now. His pictures are still everywhere and they continue to age progress them. I know there has been at least one boy ID'd as possibly him who was ruled out thru DNA...

http://www.timescolonist.com/looking-for-michael-vanished-the-michael-dunahee-story-1.70280
bbm

"Valerie Green is not your typical crime writer. A native of Britain who immigrated to Canada in 1968, she has mostly written about local history. In 2011, she published Mysterious British Columbia — Myths, Murders, Mysteries and Legends, which included a chapter on the Dunahee case.

While interviewing Crystal Dunahee for that book, Green asked her about the possibility of writing an entire book about Michael. “She said, ‘I think it’s time,’” the writer recalled recently.

Crystal told me she discussed it with her family before agreeing to co-operate with Green on a full book. She said it’s not something she would have agreed to before. Reliving the tragedy in painstaking detail was difficult.

Green says the thing that most surprised her in researching her book is that police profess hope Michael may be living. “One officer said, without any proof to the contrary, we have to assume that he could be alive.”

Snip

"Other facts: Crystal appeared on Oprah and Geraldo to discuss her son’s disappearance; actress Winona Ryder expressed interest in Michael’s disappearance while filming Little Women in Victoria (she didn’t follow up); psychic Sylvia Browne weighed in on the case. (In 1994, the Times Colonist reported Browne’s incorrect prediction that Michael was in Torrance, California, and would return home within 18 months.)

In early 2009, new life was once again brought to the Dunahee case. U.S. police found a "missing person" poster of a Victoria boy who disappeared almost 18 years ago at the Milwaukee home of a possible child killer. Vernon Seitz, 62, confessed to his psychiatrist that he had killed two children in 1959. Seitz was later found dead by Milwaukee police, apparently of natural causes.[6]

Michael Dunahee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A "missing person" poster of Michael was found in the Wisconsin home of the late Vernon Seitz, 62, when local police searched it last month, Milwaukee police have said.

Crystal Dunahee, Michael's mother, told CBC News on Wednesday that she's not sure whether Seitz ever contacted her family after Michael disappeared, but that the name Vernon Seitz does seem "familiar" to her.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2009/01/07/bc-michael-dunahee-case.html

This is the most devastating picture. His poor Mom. :(

4491555.jpg

http://michaeldunahee.ca/app/en/

Among the hundreds of items seized in Seitz's basement were scores of drawings of nude boys in bondage, books on cannibalism, blond human hair and a bone.

A "missing person" poster of Michael was also found, along with a copy of a map of somewhere not in Milwaukee, titled "Millstream Park."

Northwest of Victoria, there is a Millstream Road that leads to several remote parks.

Victoria police said Tuesday they have not been contacted by any U.S. officers but are interested in any new leads or links in the Dunahee case.

While Seitz confessed to killing two children, he never mentioned anything involving the Canadian boy to his psychiatrist, Milwaukee police said.

Local investigators are attempting to trace Seitz's movements in the late 1980s and early '90s to determine whether he travelled to Canada, specifically B.C.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2009/01/06/bc-missing-boy-case.html

Among the hundreds of items seized in Seitz's basement were scores of drawings of nude boys in bondage, books on cannibalism, blond human hair and a bone.

A "missing person" poster of Michael was also found, along with a copy of a map of somewhere not in Milwaukee, titled "Millstream Park."

Northwest of Victoria, there is a Millstream Road that leads to several remote parks.

Victoria police said Tuesday they have not been contacted by any U.S. officers but are interested in any new leads or links in the Dunahee case.

While Seitz confessed to killing two children, he never mentioned anything involving the Canadian boy to his psychiatrist, Milwaukee police said.

Local investigators are attempting to trace Seitz's movements in the late 1980s and early '90s to determine whether he travelled to Canada, specifically B.C.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2009/01/06/bc-missing-boy-case.html

Does anyone know if the remains found were ever identified as Michaels? I remember this case like it was yesterday. It never leaves ones mind.

Hoping that someone, somewhere knows where Michael is now and that the information is shared...After all this time, his family deserves to know the truth.

Back in the 1990s, I was personally involved in a case about a pedophile. We (don't ask) had found all these pages ripped from magazines of Bradford Exchange dolls, and amongst all those pics was a ripped out article on Michael. Dude lived on the mainland but was known to have been on the island at times. LE was involved but nothing panned out. (Guy was convicted on something else though ;))

A few years ago I phoned the Victoria PD regarding a possible sighting and never heard back from them. After a while, I just sat down and wrote a big long letter with all the info I could provide. I guess that didn't pan out either, but sure peed me off that they didn't even bother to phone back. Was around the time they were looking at tips regarding some small town in BC.

For some reason, it has always bothered me that one age-enhanced pic of Michael is shown more often than another one. Here are both of them (the young man I saw looked more like the first pic because of the difference in hairstyle):

Attachments

• Michael Dunahee 1.png
    Michael Dunahee 1.png
    67.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Michael Dunahee 2.png
    Michael Dunahee 2.png
    83.2 KB · Views: 29
I came across Michael's age progression picture today while looking at another case. It took me by surprise because he looks exactly like someone I know. While I'm certain it's not him based in his age and his older sister, the resemblance is uncanny.

But I still wanted to comment and hope that one day Michaels parents find the answers they are looking for, it can't be easy wondering for all these years.

I too have seen a Michael look-alike in BC, so out of curiosity, are you in Canada or the US? I understand if you are uncomfortable answering.

It was late at night and I was coming out of a store in the Fraser Valley. I was about 3 feet from him and this young man was looking at me very strangely and intently, as if he was wanting me to notice him. He was with a much older man who seemed somewhat brusk/angry??. I got back to my car and sat there thinking "where do i know this kid from". Then it hit me like a ton of bricks that he looked like the age-enhanced pic of Michael. I snooped around a bit, saw some kind of unusual things, and got a plate # and vehicle description.

While it seems nothing every materialized as a result of my letter, Michael is never too far from my mind. I hope Crystal knows that, along with her, others always remember him and will always keep looking for her son.

Michael Dunahee disappeared 22 years ago today

It's been 22 years since four-year old Michael Dunahee went missing in Victoria, and police in the province's capital say their investigation remains active.

More: http://www.cknw.com/news/vancouver/story.aspx/story.aspx?ID=1919742

Two decades later, police still searching for Michael Dunahee

Today marks the 22nd anniversary of the disappearance of four-year-old Michael Dunahee, but police say they haven't stopped looking.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mel18
Back