Canada - Mohamed-Aslim Zafis, 58 (volunteer mosque caretaker) stabbed to death, 12 Sept 2020 *not guilty, insanity*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Members of Toronto mosque call for murder of volunteer to be investigated as hate crime
''At the same time, the IMO called for police to continue to investigate the death of Zafis as a hate crime.

“The fact of the matter is that when you have our brother's throat slit in front of a mosque in the midst of continuing risk of attacks on religious institutions, in the midst of the growing number of hate incidents targeting the Muslim community, we have to take this matter, extremely seriously,” Farouk said.

Police have previously said there doesn’t appear to be a motive for the stabbing, and that there does not appear to be any relationship between the accused and the victim.

Supt. Ron Taverner spoke briefly at the vigil to say that the murder has had a direct impact on his officers, some of which are members of the mosque.

“They're deeply touched by what's going on here and the level of violence that's taken place,” he said. “This is something that's affected our family and your family.”

Too crazy to know beheading a fellow passenger is wrong, but not so crazy to know to change his name, imo.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/greyhound-beheading-10th-anniversary-1.4760074
''In February 2017, Li received an absolute discharge and is now living independently in a Manitoba community. The province's Criminal Code Review Board ruled he is no longer required to attend annual reviews or abide by conditions. He later changed his name to Will Lee Baker.''

I’m sorry but I take issue with your response. It perpetuates a dangerous stereotype about “crazy people”. Li was schizophrenic and committed that murder when he was not of sound mind. He had absolutely no idea what he was doing and he was having schizophrenic delusions. Now he is medicated = not ill and not dangerous. Obviously what he did is horrendous and an unthinkable tragedy, but most people who are mentally ill/schizophrenic are not even slightly dangerous - in fact, they usually pose way more of a threat to themselves than to others, so Li is the extremely rare exception.

Someone like this however (Von Neutegem) seemingly/allegedly killed out of pure hate with full self-awareness and intent. White supremacy is farrrrrrr more dangerous than mental illness.

I’m sorry but I take issue with your response. It perpetuates a dangerous stereotype about “crazy people”. Li was schizophrenic and committed that murder when he was not of sound mind. He had absolutely no idea what he was doing and he was having schizophrenic delusions. Now he is medicated = not ill and not dangerous. Obviously what he did is horrendous and an unthinkable tragedy, but most people who are mentally ill/schizophrenic are not even slightly dangerous - in fact, they usually pose way more of a threat to themselves than to others, so Li is the extremely rare exception.

Someone like this however (Von Neutegem) seemingly/allegedly killed out of pure hate with full self-awareness and intent. White supremacy is farrrrrrr more dangerous than mental illness.
Li may not have been a good example, i included a link about him in response to a post where he was mentioned, also adding my feelings in general about MH as the seemingly' go to ' reason cited in many recent crimes.

Agree with you totally about how stereotyping the mentally ill as dangerous and/or criminal, is wrong, which is precisely why in other threads i have opined that blaming all evil-doing on mental illness, does a great disservice to those who have a legitimate diagnosis of illness.

Years ago, a very dear childhood friend, the sweetest and most gentle person i have ever known, was diagnosed with schizophrenia and then took their own life, so i understand where you are coming from.

At this time, in this case, we do not know if the alleged killer is a white supremacist ( which some may consider a form of delusion / mental illness ) or not, we only know that a good man was brutally and senselessly murdered and that man is mourned by many.
imo, speculation.

Sep 22, 2020
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/trudeau-offers-stabbing-victim-condolences-1.5733734
''Von Neutegem shared what appears to be content from a satanic neo-Nazi group in social media posts, according to the Canadian Anti-Hate Network, a non-profit organization that monitors, researches and combats hate groups.

CBC News knows the name of the hate group but is choosing not to use it to avoid giving it any additional exposure.

Evan Balgord, the network's executive director, describes the group Von Neutegem is linked to as a satanic neo-Nazi death cult.

"They are explicitly anti-Semitic and they're explicitly racist," Balgord previously said. "They worship Hitler as a God figure."

''Police refuse to comment on social media posts

CBC News has confirmed Von Neutegem follows at least one Facebook group devoted to the group, has a Nazi symbol on his Instagram account and has posted a chant linked to the hate cult on YouTube. A source with knowledge of the investigation confirmed to CBC News that the accounts belong to Von Neutegem.

"Because of the length of his social media postings and the very specific knowledge he has about the movement, we can definitely say he's deeply-versed and has been for a long time," Balgord said.''

Surprised to see that the suspect has an ex-wife, wondering if she is the woman he is seen with on one of his social media accounts? speculation, imo.
his fhttps://globalnews.ca/news/7351511/mohamed-aslim-zafis-murder-suspect-white-supremacy-social-media/
''Toronto police homicide detectives told Global News they are investigating all possible motives for the murder, including hate and terrorism. They spent the weekend executing search warrants at two Etobicoke apartments where von Neutegem lived with his father and his ex-wife.''

“Given the public confirmation of his links to a disturbing strand of white supremacy and Neo-Nazism and while more investigation is further required, NCCM is calling on the federal government to take immediate action in dismantling white supremacist groups,” said CEO Mustafa Farooq.

Farooq said the federal government must use the Criminal Code of Canada and terror listing provisions to ban white supremacist militias.

“There are 300 (Nazi) groups who are active in Canada, many who are active and mobilized. These are groups that should no longer be able to exist in Canada, plain and simple,” he said.

Meanwhile, Von Neutegem remains in custody and is expected to return to court on Friday.''

'Random' Murder of Muslim Man Linked to 'Neo-Nazi Death Cult': Report

Sept 25 2020 rbbm.
Accused in Rexdale mosque killing makes brief court appearance
''TORONTO - The man accused of killing a 58-year-old man outside a Rexdale mosque has made a brief court appearance by video.

Guilherme (William) Von Neutegem has been charged with first-degree murder in the death of Mohamed-Aslim Zafis.''

''Investigators have said they have not ruled out Von Neutegem in the investigation into another stabbing death that occurred in the city five days earlier.

He is scheduled to return to court on Nov. 5.''
image.jpg

Guilherme “William” Von Neutegem, 34, is shown in this Facebook photo. (Facebook)

Oct 13 2020
WARMINGTON: Throw the book at Islamophobic terrorists | Toronto Sun
''After the evil slaying of Mohamed-Aslim Zafis, there can be no chances taken.

Vile threats against a local mosque are being treated with the highest policing priority and need to be.AfterToronto had a man murdered at his mosque, nothing could ever be the same again.''

''It was an ugly, repugnant murder, which Toronto Police are still investigating as a possible Islamophobia hate crime. There is also the murder of a second visible minority in the area being investigated.''

''It’s not a right and left, conservative or Liberal, issue but a human issue. A Canadian issue. Investigate it with the same resources as a terror attack. Do whatever is needed to catch these terrorists.

Throw the book at them.

In the meantime, the downtown mosque in question should be reopened with the appropriate security provided by police to make sure people can attend, worship and pray.

They did that at Zafis’s mosque to send the message Canadians don’t bow to evil.''

Nov 5 2020 rbbm.
Alleged Toronto mosque killer’s case put over to late January | Toronto Sun
''A man accused of killing a 58-year-old Muslim man outside a Toronto mosque has had his case remanded until late January.

Guilherme (William) Von Neutegem faces a first-degree murder charge in the death of Mohamed-Aslim Zafis, who was stabbed outside the International Muslim Organization on Sept. 12''.

''The case returns to virtual court on Jan. 28.''

Sept 12 2021
'I just want the hate crimes to stop': Toronto remembers mosque volunteer fatally stabbed one year ago
''A year later, members of the mosque and its community remembered Mohamed-Aslim Zafis for his kindness and generosity—carrying on his legacy by launching a food drive in his honour.

“The first time I actually met him, it was after a long day of traveling. I was looking really haggard, I was wearing sweatpants and Muhammad saw me, and I think he thought that I was one of the needy,” Mustafa Farooq , CEO of the National Council of Canadian Muslims, said at a news conference. “He immediately grabbed some food, he grabbed whatever he could and said ‘take it, make sure that you can go feed your family tonight.’ This this was the man that he was.”

“Only a few months later after that, one year ago today, I was back here at the (International Muslim Organization). And this time, I had to find the brother, I had to find the body of Mohamed-Aslim Zafis in the parking lot. I will personally never forget the flashing sirens, the confusion, the care of violence so close to home … the loss of a man I had just started getting to know.”

''Zafis’ daughter spoke briefly on Sunday of her father’s death, saying that his life was taken away too early.

“I miss him,” Bebi Zafis said. “I have people around me that take care of me, that are always there for me…I’m not alone, but he’s not with me and never will again.”

image.jpeg

rbbm
''When Mohamed Aslim Zafis was stabbed to death outside a Toronto mosque more than two years ago, everyone assumed it was a horrific expression of Islamphobia by a white supremacist.''

As he looked on with no emotion, Guilherme (William) Von Neutegem, 37, was found not criminally responsible due to a mental disorder Friday after the Crown and defence agreed he was suffering from undiagnosed and untreated schizophrenia at the time of the Sept. 12, 2020 attack outside the International Muslim Organization (IMO) on Rexdale Blvd.

He wasn’t motivated by hate but by voices of higher beings commanding him to kill.

According to forensic psychiatrist Dr. Alina Iosif, the isolated Von Neutegem was suffering from audio and visual hallucinations leading up to the murder.

“He felt compelled to commit the acts that the entities were asking him to do; he didn’t perceive he had a choice in the matter,” Iosif said.''

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Binx005
Back