GUILTY Canada - Montreal family convicted in honor killings

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I hope there is justice in this horrifying case.

These women deserve that. :(

KINGSTON, Ont. — A Montreal woman accused of killing three daughters and her husband’s first wife began to cry — just moments into her testimony — as she recounted her decision to give one of her children to the woman with whom she shared her husband’s affection.

“I told Rona, ‘Take your child,’ ” Tooba Mohammad Yahya, 42, testified.

Yahya, her husband Mohammad Shafia, 58, and their son Hamed, 21, are each charged with four counts of first-degree murder.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/0...down-as-alleged-honour-killing-trial-resumes/

Amazing, she cries when she is talking about giving one of her children to the murdered first wife, though sheds no tears that three of her children are dead. Also, it's very interesting to me that one of the children she supposedly gave up to be raised by another woman, is one of the girls that was murdered.

Did I miss this previously? This is apparently the latest "story".

Despite all this, a glimmer of what may be the final defence position may have emerged.

Yahya appeared to accept the version of events which was belatedly offered to a self-appointed private eye named Moosa Hadi by Hamed months after the three had been arrested.

In this version, Hamed said he saw his sisters heading out in the Nissan that night, tried to stop them and then followed them to keep them safe.

Alas, he followed too closely, he told Hadi — the audio tape was played in court — and hit their car.

As he was out looking at the damage, the Nissan went into the water at the locks.

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2012/01/11/christie-blatchford-shafia-mother-talking-a-lot-not-saying-anything/

And, of course, Hamed never said anything to his parents. And, his mother initially told LE that she, her husband and son, Hamed, hadn't been at the locks that night. Then later changed her story to say that she was, in fact there, but fainted and thus didn't see anything. Now, it is just Hamed who went there, and silly boy, he didn't tell his parents that he saw his sisters die.

How can we believe anything this family says??? :maddening:

You needed a place where the car would drop straight down and be under the water,” Laarhuis said.

The headlights of the car, a black Nissan Sentra, were off. The wipers were off. The dome light was off, he said.

The driver got out of the vehicle, laden with four lifeless bodies, reached back inside the vehicle through the open driver’s side window and moved the shifter into first gear, thinking the vehicle would roll into the water on its own power.

“What none of you expected, what was not part of the plan, was that the Nissan would get hung up,” Laarhuis said. “Do you agree with that?”

http://www.montrealgazette.com/health/Shafia+trial+Chilling+details+Crown+case+rivet+court/5994547/story.html

The prosecution's theory is laid out. I hadn't seen, but could have missed, that the Nissan's lights were off and the driver's window was open. Prosecution also believes that everyone in the car was 'lifeless', which I take to mean unconscious, when it when into the canal.

Both sides have rested, closing arguments set for Monday, and then deliberation by the jurors, hopefully they come back quickly with a verdict. Any predictions on how long it will take for this jury to render a verdict? For me, it's a pretty open and shut case, so I'll predict they will come back quickly with a verdict.

KINGSTON, Ont. - All of the evidence has now been heard in a trial of three people accused of killing half of their family over honour, and next week the jury will start sifting through a mountain of documents and parsing complex testimony to determine their fate.

http://www.globalnews.ca/closing+ar...r+trial+to+begin+monday/6442562098/story.html

I have been following this case from the beginning, mostly through Christie Blatchford's reports, but only now tried to find it in this forum. Possibly because it's so clear what happened, there hasn't been much comment here. Now that it's in the hands of the jury, we shall see what happens. The evidence against the accused seems overwhelming and the defence appears to be all about the idiosyncrasies of Afghan culture. If the accused go free, it will be a victory for multiculturalism.

has anyone read anything about where the other three children are?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eridachtlin
Back