CANADA Canada - Nicole Morin, 8, Toronto, 30 July 1985

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Along with babysitting various kids in Nicole’s apartment complex, I also lifeguarded at my own Apartment pool as well as others. We all worked for a company that supplied lifeguards.

As a lifeguard we knew ALL the kids. The kids always liked to hang out with the Lifeguards because it was cool. I honestly believe that had Nicole been at the pool that day the lifeguards would have known.

I think we have to remember this was a very different time. As kids we ran rampant. We got dumped outside in the morning. Came in for lunch, hit the pool from noon to 6:00. Had dinner, back out to the pool at 7:00 and in when the streetlights came on. It was the norm for all of us.

Today our parents might get charged with neglect but not then. It was wonderful. We had so much fun.

Just wanted to add a little perspective.

MOO
I can relate to this. I used to run in the streets all day during holidays; there was a group of us and we would go from home to home but also spend hours in the local park and woods. Parents would have a vague idea of where we were but they didn't know precisely.

That being said, I was a bit older than eight, more like twelve or thirteen.

Last edited:
I agree! And knowing this, why didn’t Mom seem worried when Nicole didn’t arrive home for lunch or even a snack all day? If she had a dental apt, who was to take her and when?

<modsnip: Not victim friendly> I agree that if she’d been at the pool that day she’d have been noticed for sure by lifeguards.

My only question is: could an off duty lifeguard she was familiar with have grabbed her that day? What was the average age of the guards? Did they drive to and from work?
I suggested this re a lifeguard a few pages back and I only hope that every lifeguard was questioned thoroughly. Nicole would have probably trusted any of them that she ran into around the apartment block and one could imagine that she'd quite happily go trotting off with one of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can relate to this. I used to run in the streets all day during holidays; there was a group of us and we would go from home to home but also spend hours in the local park and woods. Parents would have a vague idea of where we were but they didn't know precisely.

That being said, I was a bit older than eight, more like twelve or thirteen.
At 9 I was on my own from dawn to dusk. I had to tell my parents where I was off to and with whom but I was outside all day, every day. Our generation knew not to take the first drink from a water hose on a hot day because you would burn yourself! We knew to be home by the time the street lights came on. Nicole probably enjoyed similar freedom. It’s how it was done back then!

<modsnip: Speculation not based on known fact and not victim friendly>

eTA: please excuse all the egregious grammatical errors. I thought I’d be clever and use Siri rather than type this out on a tiny phone. Ugh.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADMIN NOTE:

Many posts have been removed or modsnipped.

Members need to read The Rules. One of THE most basic principles is that Websleuths is victim friendly, and that includes family members unless they are officially named by LE to be POI or suspect.

Accusations or insinuations against Nicole's parents are a violation of WS TOS. Members who do so risk a temporary or permanent loss of posting privileges.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maylon
Back