Found Deceased Canada - Norah, 11 & Romy Carpentier, 6, Quebec, 9 July 2020 *father died of suicide*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Can someone local describe the highway in that area? I'm a little confused, but I'm also in Saskatchewan, where we joke that you can watch your dog run away for 3 days, so unless there was a wooded area alongside the highway it would be easy to see 3 people running away on foot. Are there a lot of farms and acreages? Businesses with highway frontage?

July 10 2020
Amber Alert: Search for missing girls and their father enters second day | Montreal Gazette
''Two young girls from Lévis and their father, Martin Carpentier, remained the object of an intense search by the Sûreté du Québec on Friday, more than 36 hours after they vanished in the wake of a suspicious car crash on Highway 20 at Saint-Apollinaire, just west of Lévis''.

''The search was conducted overnight Thursday and will continue Friday with specialized tracking teams. Police still do not know what might have motivated Carpentier to disappear with his daughters. On social media, a woman identifying herself as the girls’ mother wrote that searchers must “find my girls and their papa.”

On Twitter, the SQ responded to queries by saying they were not searching for a vehicle and that there was “no question this is a stunt (un coup monté).”

Can someone local describe the highway in that area? I'm a little confused, but I'm also in Saskatchewan, where we joke that you can watch your dog run away for 3 days, so unless there was a wooded area alongside the highway it would be easy to see 3 people running away on foot. Are there a lot of farms and acreages? Businesses with highway frontage?
This article (in French) describes the region and key search areas which seem to be focusing on two smaller routes that run parallel to the Trans-Canadian in the same SW to NE direction but a little distance to the south.
Un père de Lévis et ses deux filles toujours introuvables
A few snippets translated:

Investigators say they have reason to believe that the young girls are in danger.

Sector to watch:

At 11 p.m. Thursday, the police concentrated their efforts in the sector of Bois Joly Rang and Rang du Bois de l'Ail, in Saint-Apollinaire.

The girls were reportedly abducted at 8 p.m. Wednesday in Lévis. They were last seen in a convenience store in the Saint-Nicolas sector around 8:30 p.m.

Police are combing the sector of highway 20, near Saint-Apollinaire.

Everything leads us to believe, at the level of the investigation, that Martin Carpentier and his little girls are in the Saint-Apollinaire sector, explained Louis-Philippe Bibeau, spokesperson for the Sûreté du Québec.

Also on Thursday, police officers combed the region of Saint-Apollinaire and the surrounding area, including the Saint-Janvier-de-Joly sector, about 20 kilometers west of where the young girls were last seen. time. During the day, they concentrated their efforts along Highway 20, sometimes by mountain bike, sometimes on foot.

Sat map of area showing the Trans-Canadian running through Apollinaire :
Saint-Apollinaire, Quebec
Saint-Apollinaire, QC G0S 2E0
Google Maps
The immediate region contains a small residential zone surrounded by farms and woodlands to the north and south of the highway.

Last edited:
Video at link..
Wife of man who disappeared with his daughters begs for sign they're OK | Montreal Gazette
''The provincial police force made public on Friday a message from Cathy Gingras, Carpentier’s wife, begging him for some sign that he and his children were all right.''

''The 44-second video shows Gingras, whom police said is not the mother of the two girls, clearly exhausted and upset, saying: “Martin? We’re worried. We’ve had no news from you since the accident. We’re wondering if you’re all right. The girls, Romy, Norah, we want to know if they’re okay. If you’re okay.

“Give us some news, give us a sign. Call your parents. Anything. What’s important is that you’re all right. The rest of it? We don’t care about the rest of it. We just want to know that you’re all right.”

Apparently multiple witnesses from the area of the crash heard several cries at 1am.

Missing little girls: “cries of distress” at night in Saint-Apollinaire
Fillettes disparues: des «cris de détresse» dans la nuit à Saint-Apollinaire

Automatic translation:

"Certainly it was a cry of distress. It screamed in the distance. I didn’t hear a word like "help". They weren't words, "said Tessier.

Mr. Tessier estimates having heard about fifteen cries. He immediately called the SQ who came to meet him during the night.

Residents of rue Veilleux (Saint-Apollinaire) heard cries of children around 1 a.m. This information prompted the investigators to set up their command post there.

Agent Bibeau cannot confirm beyond any doubt that these cries are related to the disappearance of the young girls, but the Sûreté du Québec takes the testimony very seriously.

https://www.lequotidien.com/actualites/alerte-amber--la-conjointe-de-martin-carpentier-disparu-avec-romy-et-norah-limplore-de-rentrer-photos-099a2ed8302731fd5d58117355d1baea

From what I understand, and the news footage after the crash, it was very dark. No lights on the highways.

I'm trying to understand whether the father was supposed to have the girls, or whether they were "abducted" before the crash occurred. I've read that there is reason to believe that the girls were not in the car when it crashed. Did he crash the car to distract officers from the abduction? Is this considered an abduction simply because he and the girls can't be found in the aftermath of the crash?
I've read news stories in both English and French and I still feel like I must be missing something.

Apparently the over involved witness Lyne Provencher took a video of the crash and posted it on FB but took it down shortly after. She is also very active in FB stating on different groups what she saw. The police haven’t published her account though and I’m assuming they asked her to take her video down.
How scary that residents heard children screaming at night - and this is not a very big town at all. If the SQ has been scouring the area that really should have found some clue by now.

Last edited:
I'm trying to understand whether the father was supposed to have the girls, or whether they were "abducted" before the crash occurred. I've read that there is reason to believe that the girls were not in the car when it crashed. Did he crash the car to distract officers from the abduction? Is this considered an abduction simply because he and the girls can't be found in the aftermath of the crash?
I've read news stories in both English and French and I still feel like I must be missing something.
Yeah I think there is a lot missing from this whole story. And the police here are not known to be the most forthcoming with information. I have no idea about the whole custody issue- who had who and when. The mom appears to be in 2 year relationship with a man who looks very much like her ex. And he seems to have moved on as well with his new girlfriend. Witnesses place him and the girls eating ice cream together at 8:30pm and less than an hour later they are missing from a car crash.

rbbm.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/mont...girls-near-saint-apollinaire-quebec-1.5644666
''Sûreté du Québec spokesperson Sgt. Louis-Philippe Bibeau said investigators have reason to believe the girls were abducted by their father after interviewing witnesses and the children's mother.

Carpentier and the girls were last seen at around 8:30 p.m. Wednesday, in a convenience store in the Saint-Nicolas neighbourhood of Lévis, Que., where the girls are from.

Police said that at 9:30 p.m. Wednesday, Carpentier's vehicle crashed about 15 kilometres west of that location on Highway 20.''

"Investigators are trying to detemine what happened in the hour between when the girls were seen at the convenience store and the crash, Bibeau said.''

"Pina Arcamone, director general of the Missing Children's Network, said Friday that with the girls now missing for more than 24 hours, it's crucial people in the area stay on the lookout''.

It is Soooo hot outside today- 40C /104F with the humidity. I hope that they have access to water and shelter if they are still alive. It’s a horrible time to be out in the elements. We are expecting a huge thunderstorm tonight and tomorrow

image.jpg

Amber Alert update: Girlfriend makes emotional plea to father of two missing Quebec girls
"There are many wooded areas -- many, many wooden areas -- but there are many rural roads, too. It's not completely isolated," said Ouellet about the territory around the crash site, which he added also contains several small cottages and shacks.

He said residents have been searching their properties for any sign of the three.

"It's worrying everyone a little bit," he said.
Their loved ones have reason to be concerned for their health and safety. Authorities say they don't know the reason for the disappearance and have spoken to witnesses and family members.

"All the hypotheses are on the table, and kidnapping is among them," SQ spokesperson Audrey-Anne Bilodeau said, "but the priority for us is that we have missing people that could be injured."

The trio has not been seen since Wednesday evening. The father and daughters were reportedly seen in a convenience store at 8:30 p.m. in the Saint-Nicolas sector.

From Thursday evening, the police concentrated their efforts in the sector of Bois-Joly range and Bois-de-l'Ail range, in Saint-Apollinaire, a few kilometers from the new command post.

Objects were found in the forest on Friday and will be analyzed. For the moment, Sûreté du Québec cannot establish the link between the persons sought and the objects.

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/1718506/alerte-amber-pere-deux-filles-levis

According to the police investigation, the father, Martin Carpentier, brought his two daughters to Chocolats Favorites in Saint-Nicolas, around 8:15 p.m., about an hour before the accident.

The article below also contains a witness statement (on video) about the scene of the car accident. Apparently the car (gray Volkswagen Passat, mentioned elsewhere) had the front window broken and flat tires but the airbags didn't deploy. The witnesses saw no sign of blood or injuries in the car. They noticed half-melted ice-cream on the floor.

Fillettes disparues : «Il s’est dépêché de s’en aller», dit une témoin

This is so bizarre. How can they just disappear from the crash so quickly?? Even if he planned to crash it surely it takes time to get out and get moving?

BBM: possible if the girls weren’t in the car at the time of the crash, & if MC “staged” it. JMO & speculation, mind you.

ETA: it’s also possible (JMO, speculation etc etc) that even if “staged”, it didn’t go to plan & MC was injured more seriously then he may have expected/thought & whatever the after plan was went awry :(.

Last edited:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/amber-alert-search-sisters-saint-apollinaire-1.5646294
''A Canadian Armed Forces helicopter has joined the search for a 44-year-old father and his two young daughters as an Amber Alert remains in effect for the girls.

A provincial police spokesperson said investigators have high hopes all three will be found alive.

Police are focusing the search in a wooded area in Saint-Apollinaire, southwest of Quebec City.''

"About 80 officers are at the site to help with the search, as temperatures climb on Saturday.''

''For details, visit www.alert.gouv.qc.ca or stay tuned to social and local media.''
FROM LINK ABOVE..
  • ''Alert : 2020/07/09 15:23
Missing Person
Valid from July 9, 2020 at 3:23 pm to July 10, 2020 at 3:00 pm

AMBER Alert

Area
Province of Québec

Status Actual
Certainty Observed">
Severity Extreme">
Urgency Immediate
Description
This is an AMBER alert. This alert issued by the Provincial Police is in effect for the Province of Quebec Two children, one girl of 11 years old, Norah Carpentier, tall and thin, 5'2, she was wearing a white cap and white Nike sandals and her sister, 6 years old Romy Carpentier, 43 pounds, 3', brown hair, heart-shaped earrings, red nail polish on both hands and a beauty mark in the top of the forehead, have been abducted from Levis on july 8th 8 pm. These children were likely abducted by Martin Carpentier, 44 years old,130 pounds, 5'10, wearing a gray t-shirt and his hair is sparse.

Instruction
If you have any information, contact the police and do not approach the suspect. For details visit alert.gouv.qc.ca or stay tuned to local media.

Area
Province of Québec''

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState