GUILTY Canada - Paul Bernardo & Karla Homolka, murdered, 1993

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
LovelyPigeon said:
Neptune'sMom, I did a google search, as you suggested, and gave you examples of what I found. I didn't find any previous cases by name. Since you haven't shared any do I take that to mean you have none either?

It would be interesting, if there is case precedent, to see how other released prisoners lives proceeded under constant surveillance, how long the surveillance lasted, and whether/when those released reoffended.

concernedperson, I've read much about the Bernardo/Homolka case. It's not my judgement on the manslaughter charge but the actual conviction that I'm addressing. The question I pose, and haven't found the answer to yet, is whether any other Canadian manslaughter conviction in which the convicted person served their entire term resulted in the surveillance and restrictions that are being sought to apply to Homolka on her release.

No, I can't find any, just sex offenders. As said, a Section 810 is rarely imposed and then on violent sexual criminals who have completed their sentences.

CinnamonGirl said:
Hopefully Karla finds a stray bullet from a hunter's gun.She is trash.
Have you seen her eyes? They look like the eyes of a deranged person. She is extremely dangerous and should be in prison for life. Isn't she the one who lured these girls as well as setting up her own younger sister to be raped and eventually murdered. I'm not so sure it was an accident.

Yep she lured the girls. For example...she used a ruse of getting Kristen over to their car asking for directions. KH held her in the back seat while she cut her hair short as they drove her to their home.

KH invited Jane Doe to their home, twice! and brought the drugs from the vet clinic where she worked, to render her unconcsious so she and Paul could violate and videotape.

Evil Evil Evil.

You know you think these things are unusual(sp) They are not! My brother did the same thing to my sister!!! May I ask how a crime become more important above the rest? My sister was human? She hurt to?
But maybe I am to unforgiving... Just some question

tttarry said:
You know you think these things are unusual(sp) They are not! My brother did the same thing to my sister!!! May I ask how a crime become more important above the rest? My sister was human? She hurt to?
But maybe I am to unforgiving... Just some question

Is your sister alive?

I didn't realize that her name is officially Karla Teale. Hopefully after she's released she won't reoffend and none of us will ever hear of her again.

--->> Once out, Homolka will not be on parole, so the state would not normally have any right to monitor her life than it would with any other citizen.

In mid-June, a Crown attorney will ask a Quebec judge to impose a recognizance order on Homolka under Sec. 810 of the Criminal Code.

Under the terms of such an order, a released prisoner can have restrictions on where they're allowed to go, who they can associate with and whether they will have to report to police.

There is a possibility Homolka will be released slightly early. This is sometimes done with high-profile offenders.

Corrections Canada has said it will not make Homolka's release date public.

One of those restrictions could include preventing Homolka from changing her name.

Officially, she is Karla Teale. If she wants to change her name, she only has to apply in Quebec.

As an inmate in Joliette Institution, she is a resident of that province.
--->>

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1114650225270_6/?hub=Canada

LovelyPigeon said:
I didn't realize that her name is officially Karla Teale. Hopefully after she's released she won't reoffend and none of us will ever hear of her again.

Yes. She and Paul used the last name of Teale after their arrests. It seems only Karla has kept the last name, changing it officially. I might be unclear on if Teale is officially his last name, too. I mean, Homolka is her maiden name. She married Paul Bernardo. Took his last name. I think??

Time to google methinks :)

But you're right...Quebec has way different laws than the rest of Canada.

Whats soooo screwed up is Paul AND Karla came up w/ the name "Teale" from a movie called "Criminal Law" (great movie w/ Gary Oldman) about a serial killer w/ the last name of "Teal" who GETS AWAY WITH RAPE AND MURDER!!!! Before Paul's arrest he and Karla had started the paperwork to change their name(he was changing his middle name to "Jason" after the Friday the 13th movies) but only SHE went through with it!!!! IMO thats quite telling!!

Neptune'sMom said:
She served her full sentence and it's every person's opinion that she is at high risk to reoffend...and they don't mean get a parking ticket. She is at a High Risk To Re Offend And Cause Serious Bodily Harm To Another Person.

Thus....our attorney general has contacted and extracted total compliance from every Province and Territory in the Country of Canada that wherever Ms. Kurly Kurls may choose to reside...she will be under the same terms of release as anywhere else in Canada.

Save for the nationwide compliance, YES, these terms of release 'even though the sentence has been served in full' have been instigated in the past. YES there is legal precedence. YES this has been done before.

Maybe it's a Canadian Thing but...we don't take too kindly to people like her and yes the Crown screwed up with giving her only 12 years and yes nobody including them is happy she's getting off so lightly. So yes....she's gonna be the fox in a hound hunt. And..it's all legal and it's been done before.

Neptune's Mom has given you the whole truth and nothing but the truth. I know because I am a Canadian who has followed this case very closely as well.

cami said:
NO amount of plastic surgery will cover up those creepy eyes of hers. The *advertiser censored*. You know what I think will happen, Cass, new name, new identity and she will be released in the middle of the night. Remember those two young boys in Britain that murdered Jamie Bulger. That's what they did with them. They were released in another part of the country.

What bugs me the most about the release date is it's Leslie Mahaffey's birthday. How much more should the Mahaffeys be made to suffer.
no kidding! she could dye her hair purple and i'd recognize those 'devil eyes' any day...............

...she's re-locating to quebec? whewwwwwwwwwwww.....heard earlier she was lookin' at my neighbourhood.........calgary........

Neptune'sMom said:
I think the sister assault and murder she told upfront. Part of her claim of being 'forced' to satisy Paul's 'urges'. The Jane Doe thing she claimed was a 'recovered memory' and was reported after the plea bargain as such. The Crown et al tried every avenue to see if they could rescind the deal. They made such a lousy one, being that they didn't know of the tapes, they had to live with it (so t speak).

I hope there isn't one place on earth that she could be safe being released to.
exactly...........the crown was sooooooooooooooooo thrilled to have her 'on their side' and turning on paul that they jumped so quickly to offer her a deal....

....all PRIOR to 'the tapes' of course.....

...the movie comes out right on the heels of her release.........( at 1st i was SICK @ the thought.........) but, now a whole new generation will 'know her' and be on the look out...........

cami said:
We do have the death penalty. It's called National Health Care, a slow death penalty.

Seriously though, our DP was abolished in 1976. Our murder rate is very low.
Plus there's the possibility of wrongful convictions and we've had many over the past 10 years.

Juries just would refuse to convict if the death penalty was on the table. It was a very narrow vote back in 1976. many Canadians would like to see it reinstated for multiple killers like Bernardo and Clifford Olsen.

I'm not an advocate or a proponent for the DP. I'd never vote for it to be reinstated.
............i have mixed feelings about the DP.....( steven truscott was a story i read as a child, and was relieved to see him get out..........)

...what BURNS me, is the canadian 'young offender act' ..........under 13 and you can practically murder for god's sakes, and the paper will read...................''due to the YOA, names with-held...............'a slap on the wrist'........GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.........

nanandjim said:
Have you seen her eyes? They look like the eyes of a deranged person. She is extremely dangerous and should be in prison for life. Isn't she the one who lured these girls as well as setting up her own younger sister to be raped and eventually murdered. I'm not so sure it was an accident.
...........i lived in ontario @ the time, as the story unfolded, ( and after karla made her deal ) it was clear that SHE was the ringleader in the entire ordeal..........

...she's got evil running in her blood................

...............speaking of 'creepy eyes'...........

...laura pepon, who plays KH, sure looks a lot different than she does on 'that 70's show'!
Bernardo movie to be released when Homolka is

var byString = ""; var sourceString = "CTV.ca News Staff"; if ((sourceString != "") && (byString != "")) { document.write(byString + ", "); } else { document.write(byString); }CTV.ca News Staff

Producers of a movie about notorious sex killer Paul Bernardo and his wife Karla Homolka will tie the film's release to her release from prison this summer.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1111537643985_133/?hub=Entertainment
160_deadly_poster_20041105.jpg

lauriej said:
............i have mixed feelings about the DP.....( steven truscott was a story i read as a child, and was relieved to see him get out..........)

...what BURNS me, is the canadian 'young offender act' ..........under 13 and you can practically murder for god's sakes, and the paper will read...................''due to the YOA, names with-held...............'a slap on the wrist'........GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.........

Tell me about it!!! My son was swarmed this past Friday night by a gang of 15 and 16 year olds on his way home from work. Thank God they didn't have weapons. There's no sense even calling the police unless you have the attack on video tape and they can see the offenders for themselves. And yes we all grew up with Steven Truscott story. It's not every day a 14 year-old gets sentenced to the gallows.

That's what happening in Halifax/Dartmouth--swarming gangs of young offenders because they know the law can't touch them. They are robbing and beating up men and women alike. I'd like to give every legislator a swift kick over this young offenders act.

lauriej said:
...............speaking of 'creepy eyes'...........

...laura pepon, who plays KH, sure looks a lot different than she does on 'that 70's show'!
Bernardo movie to be released when Homolka is

var byString = ""; var sourceString = "CTV.ca News Staff"; if ((sourceString != "") && (byString != "")) { document.write(byString + ", "); } else { document.write(byString); }CTV.ca News Staff

Producers of a movie about notorious sex killer Paul Bernardo and his wife Karla Homolka will tie the film's release to her release from prison this summer.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1111537643985_133/?hub=Entertainment
160_deadly_poster_20041105.jpg
A Paul and Karla movie????? I had no idea.

Im not sure how I feel about that!!

Granted I own 5 different books about the case *BUT* for some reason a movie bugs me.

Anyone else?

...she's re-locating to quebec?

lauriej, the article doesn't say that. It hasn't been announced where she will live.

Homolka not saying where she'll be residing
CTV.ca News Staff

Karla Homolka spoke with two Niagara regional police officers on Tuesday regarding her post-prison release intentions.

But "she's not committing herself either way," acting Supt. Brian Eckhardt told CTV News Toronto.
--->> http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1114650225270_6/?hub=Canada

LovelyPigeon said:
lauriej, the article doesn't say that. It hasn't been announced where she will live.

Homolka not saying where she'll be residing
CTV.ca News Staff

Karla Homolka spoke with two Niagara regional police officers on Tuesday regarding her post-prison release intentions.

But "she's not committing herself either way," acting Supt. Brian Eckhardt told CTV News Toronto.--->> http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1114650225270_6/?hub=Canada
oh ok, thnx..........

...i was responding to the original 1st post on this thread by 'blueclouds'...

quote:

Authorities are concerned that Homolka, now 35, may choose to live in Quebec, out of their grasp upon her release. "

however, it's still sickening to me that she WILL be out 'amongst us' somewhere in canada....

Can't they try her for the death of Tammy? I don't know all the specifics of her plea bargain.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Senor710
Back