GUILTY Canada - Paul Bernardo & Karla Homolka, murdered, 1993

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Ok , I thought about this overnight and I am still mad. I know this is Canada and I don't get to have a say in how Canada runs its system. I respect Canada and all its people tremendously. That being said, this man is the reason a death penalty is needed. Just end him. He continues to spew his crap, never accepting what he did. The very idea that he could be relapsed is stunning to me. The families of the dead girls aren't even allowed access to his file? Karla is out and living a free life now. Her victims are dead. Their rights were taken from them. I'll end my rant now.

PrarieWind you have every right to rant. Every Canadian should be ranting. Those of us who lived in Ontario in the late 80’s and early 90’s will never forget. If PB wants out, I’d let him out. Let those parents deal with him. I’d personally provide the 2 x 4, or a Louisville Slugger. I’m truly amazed no one has gotten rid of Karla Homolka/Bernardo/Teale. How she found someone desperate enough to marry and reproduce with her is beyond me. Her excuse was that Paul Bernardo would expose her for helping rape and drug her sister if she didn’t help him with the other murders. Who was stupid enough to believe that??!! Would he tell on her when it would implicate him??? Getting in trouble for an accidental death was one thing. But she was literally left alone with Kristen French!!! She could have untied her. She could have called police. She could have hit Paul over the head with a frying pan. But then her fairytale in the pretty white cottage would have ended. She got off easy. It’s too bad PB only beat the daylights out of her with a flashlight. I’m sorry she didn’t end up next to her little sister where she belongs for her part in all those deaths. That pathetically short sentence is one of the biggest shames in Canadian history. She got away with murder. Maybe PB wants to come out so badly so he can finish the job he started. ;-)

Ok , I thought about this overnight and I am still mad. I know this is Canada and I don't get to have a say in how Canada runs its system. I respect Canada and all its people tremendously. That being said, this man is the reason a death penalty is needed. Just end him.
Of course the death penalty immediately comes to mind in such cases where the crime is heinous and the evidence incontrovertible. But death is irreversible. As an example, Bill Cosby's conviction has just been overturned after all these years. I have no opinion either way on that. In the case of PB, I would have liked to see life without parole, and I mean life until he dies, not a mere 25 years. And if there are parole hearings, keep them in camera without anymore victim impact statements; they've said enough.

Of course the death penalty immediately comes to mind in such cases where the crime is heinous and the evidence incontrovertible. But death is irreversible. As an example, Bill Cosby's conviction has just been overturned after all these years. I have no opinion either way on that. In the case of PB, I would have liked to see life without parole, and I mean life until he dies, not a mere 25 years. And if there are parole hearings, keep them in camera without anymore victim impact statements; they've said enough.
But what is life imprisonment if the defendant continues to file motions for release. If he continues to taunt the families for crimes there is video evidence he committed? What is the justification for withholding evidence from the murder girls' families? This isn't a man that may one day be found not guilty of his crimes. He DID this. He and his lover raped and murdered other girls. She is out living a new life. And he is asking for the same.

I bet Paul was just eating up all this attention he just got, and basking in the details of his crimes. UGH.

Does he have another chance at parole? Not sure how that works in Canada.

He’s eligible for parole again in another 2 years and 8 months, approximately. As have many others, the premier of Ontario has spoken up against the hearings. I’m hoping they might amend the laws and stop this farce.

He’s been ruled as a dangerous offender, so he’ll likely never be released.

I’m sorry that anyone other than the parole board had to listen to what he said, but what he said effectively decreased any faint hope of being released by what he said, imo.

Thank you, @Lexintoronto.

I am hopeful there are no more public hearings. No one needs to hear anything at all from him, ever.

My best thoughts to his victims' families. It's appalling they have to go through this.

Paul Bernardo is trending on Twitter. (No, he’s not dead.)

molly hayes
@mollyhayes

“All of a sudden Paul Bernardo says, ‘I want out, I’ve been rehabilitated, I'm good' - Why should the public be denied the full evidentiary record that the parole board rely upon to make that decision? We just have to take the parole board’s word that they’re doing it correctly."
https://twitter.com/mollyhayes/status/1426199102832979968?s=20

Story:
Adrian Humphreys
@AD_Humphreys

The government of Canada waged a fierce court battle in favour of the privacy rights of serial sex killer Paul Bernardo and cop killer Craig Munro — and then stuck their victims’ families with the legal bill. My latest: Feds win battle for privacy of serial killer Paul Bernardo and cop killer Craig Munro over victims' families' requests | National Post

From article linked above:

“They talk about the privacy interests of these guys, but these are notorious crimes, they’re public crimes. There’s nothing private about this,” said Tim Danson, a Toronto lawyer representing the families of the victims and the Toronto Police Association.

“In my view, when people convicted of first-degree murder apply for parole and are asking to be relieved from the consequences of their life sentence and their criminal acts to be released into the public, they waive their privacy rights.”

molly hayes
@mollyhayes

“All of a sudden Paul Bernardo says, ‘I want out, I’ve been rehabilitated, I'm good' - Why should the public be denied the full evidentiary record that the parole board rely upon to make that decision? We just have to take the parole board’s word that they’re doing it correctly."

Story:
Adrian Humphreys
@AD_Humphreys

The government of Canada waged a fierce court battle in favour of the privacy rights of serial sex killer Paul Bernardo and cop killer Craig Munro — and then stuck their victims’ families with the legal bill. My latest: Feds win battle for privacy of serial killer Paul Bernardo and cop killer Craig Munro over victims' families' requests | National Post

“They talk about the privacy interests of these guys, but these are notorious crimes, they’re public crimes. There’s nothing private about this,” said Tim Danson, a Toronto lawyer representing the families of the victims and the Toronto Police Association.

“In my view, when people convicted of first-degree murder apply for parole and are asking to be relieved from the consequences of their life sentence and their criminal acts to be released into the public, they waive their privacy rights.”

UGHHHHHH

molly hayes
@mollyhayes

Story:
Adrian Humphreys
@AD_Humphreys

Darn. I wouldn't have been sad if he was dead.

Nothing about Paul Bernardo and Karla Homolka's life should ever be private (except their underage children, they are innocent). For the rest of their lives the public should know ever little thing they do because of the level of their crimes. They should never be trusted.

This is what life imprisonment should be like. She killed teenage girls and he committed rapes and neither of them have ever shown remorse, so they should never experience freedom.

Sorry, I'm so furious I did a double post.
I always consider myself to be a pacifist until Bernardo’s or Homolka’s name pops up in my feed.

On the bright side, he’ll likely do something to get kicked back to maximum security. Or in medium security he’ll have less protection and another inmate will end it all.

For HIS protection?

The only reason Bernardo could have been transferred, Bolduc said, was possibly due to security issues.

“This baffles me completely,” he said.

Bolduc said La Macaza has offenders there convicted of sex crimes and ones that need institution protection.

“It’s for inmates who don’t really pass anywhere else, they put them there, like sexual abusers, pedophiles, the ones that would get beat up in a normal institution, but Paul Bernardo was in a normal institution (general population).”

Bolduc said some officers are bilingual, but most offenders speak just French.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rav17en
Back