GUILTY Canada - Registered nurse facing 8 murder charges, Woodstock, Ont, 25 Oct 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
There are some brief interviews with the victim's families in the Toronto Star. Most of them are shocked, but Horvath's daughter had concerns about the care her father was receiving:

Victim Arpad Horvath’s daughter, Susan Horvath, said she felt something was amiss before her father died.

“I’d seen my dad and the condition he was in and he had a lot of fear — he had a lot of fear — and just things about him and everything I noticed on his body and stuff, I just had a feeling and I told mom,” Horvath told radio station AM980 in London, Ont., on Tuesday. “And then when he passed on — and how he passed on — that’s when I knew: This is not right.”

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2016/10/25/nurse-charged-with-murdering-8-ontario-nursing-home-residents.html

anybody know who she was married to? She is divorced and uses her married last name I guess I need more coffee it says right in the article Dan. lol

I read that she left her position this September or "retired" when the police were tipped off about the cases. Does anyone know what tip caused the investigation in the first place? The last death was awhile ago. Something happened on a specific date in late September.

I am horrified. Reminds me of Orville Lynn Majors- a local case.

I'm interested in nurse-killers as a group. Anyone know a book or source to read further?

*hopes FBI is not reading this...

Excellent book about serial killer nurse Charles Cullen -
Experts have estimated that Charles Cullen may ultimately be responsible for over 300 deaths, which would make him the most prolific serial killer in American history.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/12/books/the-good-nurse-by-charles-graeber.html?_r=0
To Catch a Killer Nurse
‘The Good Nurse,’ by Charles Graeber

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Cullen
Charles Edmund Cullen (born February 22, 1960) is a former nurse who is the most prolific serial killer in New Jersey history and is suspected to be the most prolific serial killer in American history.[1] He confessed to authorities that he killed up to 40 patients during the course of his 16-year nursing career.[2] But in subsequent interviews with police, psychiatric professionals, and journalists Charles Graeber and Steve Kroft,[3] it became clear that he had killed many more, whom he could not specifically remember by name, though he could often remember details of their case.[4] Experts have estimated that Charles Cullen may ultimately be responsible for over 300 deaths, which would make him the most prolific serial killer in American history.[1]

Wow this is all very close to home.

I grew up near where the last victim lived, east of London for many years.

My sister in law (SIL) was working at Meadow Park nursing home when Mr. Horvath was murdered there. SIL never worked directly with Bethe Wettlaufer, but does know of her, doesn't remember any bad talk of her amongst other co-workers, and is not sure why she left.

I think that Bethe herself went to the police and confessed, might have something to do with her sobriety

I wonder how she decided whom she would kill, was it because they were suffering or because she just didn't like them.

She looks like the type of lady that will talk willingly

Cristina HoworunVerified account ‏@CityCristinaH 9h9 hours ago
RN accused in murders of 8 persons in SW Ontario resigned her nursing licence the day AFTER #woodstock PS started investigation @CityNews

anybody know who she was married to? She is divorced and uses her married last name I guess I need more coffee it says right in the article Dan. lol

Yes, she uses her married name, even though she is no longer married, but we don't sleuth the family members.

I read that she left her position this September or "retired" when the police were tipped off about the cases. Does anyone know what tip caused the investigation in the first place? The last death was awhile ago. Something happened on a specific date in late September.

A member of the press asked about the tip off during the press conference and the police would not respond, saying something along the lines that it was information that could jeopardize the investigation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder what drug she may have had access to? Surely all the narcotic drugs are handled by two people, aren't they?

She was looking to rehome her cats on Oct. 10th, which makes me wonder if she knew by then that criminal charges were coming.

I'm having a really hard time processing this. The investigation went so fast, that there must be some very obvious evidence. Ugh.

Just got home from a meeting at the high school (same high school she went to) and of course, all the parents were talking about this. One lady mentioned she knows some folks with the same last name (though not related) and the media is literally hounding them looking for interviews. :( I guess it's the natural course of things for the media to be looking to get a story but I sure feel sorry for local folks that have the same last name.

I wonder what drug she may have had access to? Surely all the narcotic drugs are handled by two people, aren't they?
Nurse serial killer Charles Cullen –
As usual, his drugs of choice were digoxin, epinephrine, and insulin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Cullen
Charles Edmund Cullen (born February 22, 1960) is a former nurse who is the most prolific serial killer in New Jersey history and is suspected to be the most prolific serial killer in American history.[1] He confessed to authorities that he killed up to 40 patients during the course of his 16-year nursing career.[2] But in subsequent interviews with police, psychiatric professionals, and journalists Charles Graeber and Steve Kroft,[3] it became clear that he had killed many more, whom he could not specifically remember by name, though he could often remember details of their case.[4] Experts have estimated that Charles Cullen may ultimately be responsible for over 300 deaths, which would make him the most prolific serial killer in American history.[1]

Obviously we're short on detail right now, but as EW was a caregiver, I'm wondering if we may have a self-appointed Angel of Mercy / Angel of Death here. Was her assistance possibly requested by the victims due to Canada's legislation on medically assisted suicide?
I have worked in nursing homes where residents begged to die. It was absolutely heartbreaking to watch what many went through. I don't know if this is what she was doing or thinking, but it is just horrible to think that someone who is trusted with lives could do this to another person. I had to leave long term care because of the pain and suffering that was nonstop, even in the best of facilities. I still lose many nights' sleep over it. It will be interesting to see what her defense would be. If people wanted or asked to die, it should have been documented in her nursing notes. God bless all the victims and their families.

I've been glued to CTVNews all day and neighbors said she was in rehab for drugs and alcohol in the past. Sorry if this needs to be deleted bc I dont have anything to link to this. I havent seen it in 'writing' yet on their webpage.

Lots more info in this link.

http://www.lfpress.com/2016/10/25/n...-with-eight-counts-of-murder-at-nursing-homes
A friendly but low-key neighbour who doted on her dog. A nurse dedicated to her profession since 1995. A poet whose online posts include a descriptive verse from the perspective of a serial killer. A God-fearing single woman, whose education includes Bible school. A loving daughter. A recovering addict.

These are the pieces of the puzzle that form Elizabeth Tracey Mae Wettlaufer, 49, the former nurse who became a household name in Ontario Tuesday after police announced they’d charged her with eight counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of elderly nursing home patients

Amid police concerns that she would commit a “serious personal injury,” Wettlaufer was made subject of a peace bond earlier this month with 10 conditions, including that she live with her parents in Woodstock, observe a night-time curfew, and refrain from acting as a caregiver to anyone.

In addition, she was banned from possessing insulin or any other medication unless it was for her own use. She was also barred by the court order from visiting any long-term care facility, nursing or retirement home, or hospital unless she needed medical treatment.
Wettlaufer was further required to “continue any treatment for mental health,” and stay away from alcohol.
One gruesome poem is titled Inevitable and written from the perspective of a serial killer.

One graphic line from that poem reads: “Heart beats then sprays/as this next victim pays/her deft dagger’s bill.”
rbbm.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...most-prolific-serial-killers/article32530298/
Former nurse stands accused of being one of Canada’s most prolific serial killers

When Elizabeth Wettlaufer had dinner with two of her friends at a Kelsey’s restaurant in Woodstock, Ont., a few weeks back, she was her usual outgoing self. The 49-year-old former nurse was candid about a second rehab stint for narcotics she had recently completed in Toronto, her friend said, but there was much Ms. Wettlaufer kept to herself that night.

In 2008, her divorce was finalized. She broke a “no dating vow” in mid-2010 to go on an afternoon date, her Facebook profile says. The registered practical nurse who asked not to be named said Ms. Wettlaufer was in a same-sex relationship, at least for a time.
rbbm

I'm gonna guess that she was using insulin to kill the seniors. :(

Agreed. No former addict is going to give the good stuff to others. IIRC, insulin is (Canadians help me out here) available without prescription in Canada. Even if it's not, it is available in ample quantities in any care facility.

Agreed. No former addict is going to give the good stuff to others. IIRC, insulin is (Canadians help me out here) available without prescription in Canada. Even if it's not, it is available in ample quantities in any care facility.

It's not exactly readily available. Medications are dosed and dispensed from a machine, after the nurse enters the perscription information and patient information, which is all documented and charted. She'd have to leave legitimate patients untreated in order to use their insulin on another patient, and then the legitimate patients would show high blood sugar values, so someone would know that they didn't get their insulin.

However, since the investigation went so quickly, perhaps all the evidence came from the charting and records. Would the police have exhumed and tested the bodies in just three weeks? Aren't all people who die in nursing homes given an autopsy? Would death by insulin be evident?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lockett
Back