Canada - Remains of children found at former residential schools in Canada, May 2021

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
According to the CBC and National Post, the Prime Minister is surfing in Tofino on a family holiday.

His official diary said he had private meetings in Ottawa on this first National Day for Truth and Reconciliation.

His office did update it and confirmed that he was in Tofino, surfing.

ETA: at approx. 7:30pm P. M. Trudeaus’ Twitter account says he spent some time speaking with survivors today.
Trudeau skips Reconciliation Day to hit the beach
''The PMO says he’s in Tofino spending time speaking with residential school survivors across the country.''

According to the CBC and National Post, the Prime Minister is surfing in Tofino on a family holiday.

His official diary said he had private meetings in Ottawa on this first National Day for Truth and Reconciliation.

His office did update it and confirmed that he was in Tofino, surfing.

ETA: at approx. 7:30pm P. M. Trudeaus’ Twitter account says he spent some time speaking with survivors today.
Trudeau skips Reconciliation Day to hit the beach
''The PMO says he’s in Tofino spending time speaking with residential school survivors across the country.''

That makes me sad.

This was such an important day for Indigenous people. I know that I don’t have the answers, (and I might be missing something) but today is their day and it’s a somber one. I wouldn’t go surfing on the day of someone’s memorial, and for many they’re highlighting the lives of their lost ancestors.

Nov 3 2021
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-indigenous-death-records-1.6234396

''Ontario is in the process of releasing death records of approximately 1,800 Indigenous children to the National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation.

Releasing death records was one of the recommendations in the 2015 report from the Truth and Reconciliation Commission that documented abuse suffered by Indigenous children at residential schools.

The centre said it welcomed the Ontario government's commitment to release the records and called on other provinces to do the same.

"These death records are essential to finding and identifying all the children who died due to the residential school system," it said in a written statement. "Although some provinces are actively working to share important records, the NCTR requires full co-operation from all jurisdictions."

The National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation is tasked with maintaining records like survivors' testimonies and other materials gathered through the commission.

The centre said it is still waiting on coroner's reports from all provinces — another recommendation from the commission — but has received all death certificates from British Columbia and Alberta and some records from Yukon and Nova Scotia.''

'Our children are buried on these grounds,' marchers at old Royal Vic site say | Montreal Gazette
Nov 11 2021
''The marchers were hoping to raise awareness to their demands that McGill University investigate claims of unmarked child graves on the site of the old Royal Victoria Hospital.

For years, Mohawks have heard rumours and stories that there were Indigenous children taken to the site of the Allen, and had experiments done on them.

Recently, a group called Mohawk Mothers (kanien’kehá:ka kahnistensera) began gathering evidence and pressuring authorities to open a full-scale investigation. They recently interviewed Lana Ponting, an 80-year-old woman who says she was subjected to psychiatric experiments by Dr. Donald Ewen Cameron at McGill’s Allan Memorial Institute, in April 1958, at the age of 16. The woman reportedly said there were many Indigenous children at the Institute, and also that there were rumoured to be bodies buried around the premises, including near the Henry William Morgan Pool.''

A somewhat related story...

Researchers Identify 102 Native American Students Who Died at Government-Run Boarding School

November 15, 2021

Researchers have identified over 100 students who died at a government-run boarding school for Native Americans in Nebraska.

Thanks to the efforts of the Genoa Indian School Digital Reconciliation Project, a total of 102 names of students who attended the U.S. Indian School have been uncovered, according to the Omaha World-Herald...

LINK:

Researchers Identify 102 Native American Students Who Died at Government-Run Boarding School

I started watching only, 12 mins in...not for the thin skinned...truly heart breaking.
Im completely ashamed.

Many people like you are feeling absolute and utter shame in learning what happened. In speaking with my First Nations friends, this seems to be the first step toward reconciliation. We need to hear their stories. We need to learn about their pain. Until we absorb the horrors of the way First Nations people were treated, our society will not be able to move forward into healing.

Feb. 15, 2022
'We just want to recover': Survivors and community members react to potential unmarked graves on Keeseekoose First Nation | CTV News
''KEESEEKOOSE FIRST NATION, SASK. -
As news broke about 54 possible unmarked graves on the site of former residential schools on Keeseekoose First Nation, members of the community came together to grieve and look forward to the next steps.

Sarah Genaille, a community member and knowledge keeper, who spoke at the ceremony announcing the discovery, gave an emotional apology to the students who attended St. Philip’s and Fort Pelly schools.

“Now that I know, growing up what happened, I know I didn’t have anything to do with it, but I apologize to all of you,” she said through tears. “I know now what happened and I’m deeply sorry. I think a lot about my kids, my grandchildren, my great grandchildren when I read about those [findings].”

Feb. 15, 2022
'We just want to recover': Survivors and community members react to potential unmarked graves on Keeseekoose First Nation | CTV News
''KEESEEKOOSE FIRST NATION, SASK. -
As news broke about 54 possible unmarked graves on the site of former residential schools on Keeseekoose First Nation, members of the community came together to grieve and look forward to the next steps.

Sarah Genaille, a community member and knowledge keeper, who spoke at the ceremony announcing the discovery, gave an emotional apology to the students who attended St. Philip’s and Fort Pelly schools.

“Now that I know, growing up what happened, I know I didn’t have anything to do with it, but I apologize to all of you,” she said through tears. “I know now what happened and I’m deeply sorry. I think a lot about my kids, my grandchildren, my great grandchildren when I read about those [findings].”

From your link:
So we’re talking about up to 54 families that were impacted by these little ones not returning home.

BBM

She said recoveries like the one on Keeseekoose proves what Indigenous people have been trying to share for decades, adding the discoveries on residential school sites are far from over.

SBM

Imo:
As an European ,I am so sorry about this,all.
It is disgusting,what we took overseas.
I really hope ,that Canada,The States (worldwide)will do anything to provide ,the Indigenous People to overcome the genocide.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
issy565
Back