Canada - Remains of children found at former residential schools in Canada, May 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
View attachment 349889
View attachment 349888
June 17 2022
''WARNING: This story contains details that are disturbing.

Manitoba RCMP have charged a 92-year-old Winnipeg man in connection with alleged sexual abuse that happened at a residential school more than 50 years ago.

Retired Father Arthur Masse of Winnipeg was arrested on Thursday and charged with one count of indecent assault in connection with an allegation of sexual abuse that is said to have happened at Fort Alexander Residential School.

RCMP said the alleged incident occurred between 1968 and 1970, and involved a 10-year-old female student at the school.

The charge has not been proven in court.

Masse was released with conditions and will appear in court in Powerview, Man. on July 20.

RCMP received the tip about the alleged abuse in February 2010, with an official investigation beginning in 2011.

The school was opened in 1905 in the community of Fort Alexander, which later became Sagkeeng First Nation, and closed in 1970.

The Indian Residential Schools Resolution Health Support Program has a hotline to help residential school survivors and their relatives suffering from trauma invoked by the recall of past abuse. The number is 1-866-925-4419.

This is a developing story. More details to come.''

With files from The Canadian Press

Intriguing initiative...
''OTTAWA — A Guatemala-based forensic anthropology organization is extending its hand to Indigenous Peoples in Canada looking to potentially recover remains of children on the grounds of former residential schools''.

''Fredy Peccerelli, a founding member of the Guatemalan Forensic Anthropology Foundation, has been working for nearly 30 years to bring home bodies of the “disappeared” — Maya civilians who were killed during the 36-year civil war in Guatemala that ended in 1996.''

He said his first thought was that First Nations should develop an independent Indigenous-led forensics team similar to his organization’s.

“No one is going to treat (searches) with as much respect and dignity, and for as long as it takes to do it, like First Nations people,” said Peccerelli. “It’s the most dignified way.”

He added that his group has worked with others in Mexico and Rwanda to train people on how to collect DNA, excavate graves and repatriate remains.

It is willing to do the same in Canada.

Peccerelli isn’t the only person to say that Indigenous actors should be at the forefront of searches for children’s remains.''

What bothers me are those individuals who say that if there is lack of bodies that means residential schools weren't involved in any criminal behavior, that they were all victims of the times, children and church personnel alike. What gets me more than anything is the casual disregard they had for these children. Whether any of them succumbed to beatings, sexual assault, or worse, it was the lack of compassion, treating them like numbers. Whether they died of tuberculosis, measles, diphtheria or any other reason, falls, fights, etc. they were buried anonymously and the family were not advised of their deaths. They didn't matter.

I used to work for the OPP and one day I was walking around the grounds of the former Orillia Psychiatric Hospital and found a marker for an anonymous boy who died. It was buried in the ground, and only had a first name on it. I'm sure he was one of those kids who probably was severely intellectually delayed and shipped off to the hospital and forgotten by not only the residential workers but his own family.

The native parents of those kids who never home didn't forget about their kids.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back