GUILTY Canada - Renee Sweeney, 23, murdered, Sudbury, Ont, 27 Jan 1998 *arrest in 2018*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Just curious, if someone from North Bay wanted to drive south to Toronto, which route would they take? I can see a logical route, but what would North Bay residents do?

I saw TV coverage of Renee Sweeney's murder on the national news right after it happened, and have followed this story through the years.

I find myself wondering how someone so young allegedly committed an act so violent, out of the blue, and was cold enough to steal cash, too. How did this go unsolved for so long? How many people know in their hearts that they turned a blind eye to Renee's needless suffering and horrific death?

I ask myself how many overkill murders of women alone have gone unsolved in the intervening years. Did they involve in petty theft, too? What kind of person gratuitously steals from a victim after such violent overkill?

What goes so wrong in a young person's life that allows them to (allegedly) do a thing like this and walk around for decades like nothing happened? How do they carry it off? Surely they must have given something away at some time.

I can't understand.

Now a North Bay hospital porter has been charged in another murder, this one from 1980.

North Bay man faces murder charges in 40-year-old case - BayToday.ca

Roger Deschenes of North Bay, a porter at the North Bay Regional Hospital, faces a first-degree murder charge. He appeared in court on November 19 and is remanded into custody until a bail hearing can be scheduled.

Detective-Inspector Kurtis Fredericks says back on July 10, 1980, the body of 20-year-old Micheline St. Amour was found in the bedroom of her East Ferris home.

"She had died of her injuries caused by stab wounds," said Fredericks.

Last edited:
Now a North Bay hospital porter has been charged in another murder, this one from 1980.

North Bay man faces murder charges in 40-year-old case - BayToday.ca

Roger Deschenes of North Bay, a porter at the North Bay Regional Hospital, faces a first-degree murder charge. He appeared in court on November 19 and is remanded into custody until a bail hearing can be scheduled.

Detective-Inspector Kurtis Fredericks says back on July 10, 1980, the body of 20-year-old Micheline St. Amour was found in the bedroom of her East Ferris home.

"She had died of her injuries caused by stab wounds," said Fredericks.

Random ... speculative .... InsideEko.com is reporting ...
November 26, 2020
Roger Deschenes North Bay Obituary – Death | Dead – Passed Away

I saw that the other day too from another source. Speculative as well.

Yes, a few sources are reporting this however all I can find is that they circle around themselves ... last I heard he was in custody waiting for a bail hearing . Hope it's confirmmed or denied soon ...

Two weeks before his trial was to begin in October 2021, Wright's lawyer, Berk Keaney, declared a conflict of interest, leading him to hire Michael Lacy as his new lead counsel.

For Lacy to get up to speed on the case, the trial was tentatively postponed again until September 2022.

Lacy confirmed to CTV News in an email the trial is now scheduled to begin Feb. 21, 2023, just after the 25th anniversary of Sweeney's murder.

Two weeks before his trial was to begin in October 2021, Wright's lawyer, Berk Keaney, declared a conflict of interest, leading him to hire Michael Lacy as his new lead counsel.

For Lacy to get up to speed on the case, the trial was tentatively postponed again until September 2022.

Lacy confirmed to CTV News in an email the trial is now scheduled to begin Feb. 21, 2023, just after the 25th anniversary of Sweeney's murder.

thank you for the update

Didn’t the Crown try to have them removed due to conflict of interest earlier on in this case?? The defense attorneys fought them and won, but now he declares a conflict of interest himself? IANAL but seems like some shady attempt to delay the trial. MOO

Didn’t the Crown try to have them removed due to conflict of interest earlier on in this case?? The defense attorneys fought them and won, but now he declares a conflict of interest himself? IANAL but seems like some shady attempt to delay the trial. MOO
I hope that the accused does not then claim that the trial was delayed for too long, so he should be set free without one. That would be a real travesty.

I believe that the trial is still scheduled for next week and is scheduled to run for five weeks.

Here's a link dedicated to coverage of the trial:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kat kruck
Back