GUILTY Canada - Shannon Burgess, 25, Calgary, 26 Nov 2014 - #4 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I remember back when she first went missing, some of us questioning why it took so long for Shannon to have been reported missing, why her husband hadn't reported her missing sooner. Just went back to the original thread here to look.

She Josh tells police he last saw her at 12:30am on Nov 27th (the wee hours of Thurs Nov 27th). She had made recent plans on Tues Nov 25th with her brother, to meet him at Stage West on Sun Nov 30th but she didn't show up, which was not like her.

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/family-sa...disappear-without-contacting-anyone-1.2134851

Sister Erin had been trying to reach her but no luck. On that Monday Dec 1st, Erin/family realized that Shannon had missed several appointments over that weekend at which point they notified LE.

This had to have been a huge red flag to LE, that husband alleges he last sees wife/Shannon the early hours of Thurs morning..........he doesn't see her all day Thurs, all day Fri, all day Sat, all day Sun but it's not until her family realize the full scope of how many appts she's missed over the weekend that they notify police...and after it is them (the family) who take the initiative to contact JB to see if he's heard from Shannon (wouldn't you expect a husband who's wife has been missing 4 days to be taking some initiative by calling her family/friends to find out if they've seen her?)

And add to this, her car and cell phone are still at home.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/police-search-for-calgary-woman-who-disappeared-a-week-ago

That had to be the same red flag that it was to a lot of us back in the beginning of the case. I think back then a lot of us were going with the "messy divorce" that had been reported in MSM articles and assumed that although they still resided in the same home that they were likely 'separated' and both did their own thing. But now we know why it wasn't JB who was 'concerned' and why he didn't call police to report her missing. Looking back, it all makes perfect sense.

Hard though to believe that nobody heard anything that night/early morning. Or at least not that we've heard about.

Didn't SB also have a dating profile that stated open relationship? Looking back, makes a person wonder if she had in fact been the one to create it...and put down 'open relationship' as relationship status.

I did read in thread #1 of this case, a snippet from a news article in which sister Erin had stated that LE had been in contact with the theatre people Shannon had been with on Wed Nov 26th and those people had told LE what time Shannon had left Edmonton so that that at least gave LE some idea of when she might have been expected to have arrived back in Calgary.

In thread #1 there is mention of a FB post that SB (really her?) made on her FB profile on Nov 26th at 8:15pm stating she was sorry to have missed some event that evening due to getting back to Calgary too late to attend. But who knows if that was really her who had posted that, or maybe him from her acct? (Obviously you'd think LE would know but maybe not if they shared a computer?).

Again, we do NOT know that Josh last saw Shannon alive at 12:30 a.m. - We only know that that is the time he gave police for when he claimed to have last seen her.

Is there any reason we should not believe that Josh did not see Shannon alive after 12:30AM on Nov 27? If so, what is the reason? What facts are available that suggest that Josh last saw his wife alive at their home after 12:30AM on Nov 27?

He was likely simply answering the reporter's question...

"How is your client holding up?" Asks the reporter.

"He is overwhelmed..." Replies Fay.

Lawyers don't "simply" do anything. Everything is calculated, especially when it comes to the use of words.

Can you please provide a link to where it states that Josh Burgess saw her at home at 12:30 am? All I have seen is a family member saw her at home. They didn't specify who.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have. It's clear from the first reports that Shannon was last seen at her home at 12:30AM on Nov 27 by her husband. No one ... not a single person on this forum ... has ever questioned whether Josh is the family member who last saw his wife at home that night ... until now. The violins are playing as we once again ponder the plight of poor Josh, and question how the sad little man could be presumed to be the last person to see his wife in the middle of the night at their home.

Given that her husband has been charged w/ murder and concealing her body for 7 months in/on their shared residence, I'm not sure that he's all that credible. Just because he claims he last saw her alive at 12:30am on Nov 27 surely doesn't make that a 'fact.' IMO, a fact is something that can be proven, corroborated, has been witnessed by someone else who can verify. We (the general public) have no idea what time she left Edmonton and what time she would have arrived home the afternoon or evening of Nov 26th. She could have been dead by 11pm for all we know. I wouldn't put any stock in anything this guy has to say or has said in the past. He's not exactly a pillar of truth and integrity. Way back when she first went missing, several of us questioned this "12:30am" time from him............asking if there was anyone else who could corroborate her having allegedly left their home at 12:30am as Josh stated she had............because even back then, not even knowing what we know now obviously, we recognized that this was merely what he was claiming, but that did not make it a fact.

We have no idea as to the time of death, not even sure if an medical examiner could estimate a TOD this long after the fact. IMO the only person who would know with certainty is the man who has been charged with her murder.........who stood there at a family press conference next to her own Mother while her sister spoke on behalf of the family and pleaded for anyone with any info to notify CPS, knowing full well he was responsible for her death and that he had concealed her body in or on the property they shared..........the same guy all of these months who has been aware of her family's stress and grief and loss and turmoil and pain and suffering and questions and desperately hoping she'd come back home when in fact he was the one responsible for her being dead. Nothing that comes out of this guy's mouth, in the past or in the future is going to necessarily be factual because I would imagine like any murderer, he'll say whatever he needs to to hopefully save his sorry *advertiser censored*.

Of course it's possible that Shannon was murdered at 11PM. What I wrote is that based on the statement from Josh, I'm going to assume that Josh did not see Shannon alive after 12:30AM. If there is another fact that suggests another time, please share.

Otto, perhaps you weren't involved in this case here from the beginning. It was her husband Josh who had reported to LE that he had last seen her at their home at 12:30am on Nov 27th. Given that he's been charged with her murder and hiding her body for the past 7 months while he watched her family suffer and wonder and worry, and while he was active on a dating site, I think it would be fair to say that that time of 12:30am is not a "fact" but merely a time he reported to LE. I'm pretty doubtful that what he was really telling them was that that was the moment in time that she was last alive prior to him murdering her.

Perhaps I did follow this case from the beginning. Perhaps it was her husband who did not report to family or police that his wife was missing. Criminals tells some of the truth some of the time. I see no reason to doubt that Josh did not see his wife alive after 12:30AM Nov 27.

Is there a fact that suggests she was alive after 12:30AM on Nov 27? If so, what is it? If not, why not accept the facts we have?

Regardless, that is the fact I'm going to rely on. If others have reason to believe that Shannon was alive after that time ... go for it. If there's a fact to support that alternate time, please share.

We are having the same thoughts. I was just about to post a similar hypothesis. There was an awkward pause when they discussed Shannons medical status at the news conference. Could this be the case?

Sent from my SM-G850W using Tapatalk

Good point! I had forgotten about that. Everyone here assumed that the pause meant that she had psychological disorders, but pregnancy is starting to make a lot more sense. It would also explain why Shannon had suddenly decided to leave her marriage - such a short time after getting married.

Is there any reason we should not believe that Josh did not see Shannon alive after 12:30AM on Nov 27? If so, what is the reason? What facts are available that suggest that Josh last saw his wife alive at their home after 12:30AM on Nov 27?

Hey if you want "facts" there are none, only words from the killers mouth. She died sometime after she got back from her trip. The only fact we know is that she's no longer with us. I doubt if we'll ever know the real time of death.

Hey if you want "facts" there are none, only words from the killers mouth. She died sometime after she got back from her trip. The only fact we know is that she's no longer with us. I doubt if we'll ever know the real time of death.
Exactly :)

He may have also been involved in BDSM gone bad. Nobody knows until the facts are presented or an admission is made.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Good point, never thought of this angle. We don't have any info to assume anything at this point, however that is a point that I didn't think of.

I remember back when she first went missing, some of us questioning why it took so long for Shannon to have been reported missing, why her husband hadn't reported her missing sooner. Just went back to the original thread here to look.

She Josh tells police he last saw her at 12:30am on Nov 27th (the wee hours of Thurs Nov 27th). She had made recent plans on Tues Nov 25th with her brother, to meet him at Stage West on Sun Nov 30th but she didn't show up, which was not like her.

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/family-sa...disappear-without-contacting-anyone-1.2134851

Sister Erin had been trying to reach her but no luck. On that Monday Dec 1st, Erin/family realized that Shannon had missed several appointments over that weekend at which point they notified LE.

This had to have been a huge red flag to LE, that husband alleges he last sees wife/Shannon the early hours of Thurs morning..........he doesn't see her all day Thurs, all day Fri, all day Sat, all day Sun but it's not until her family realize the full scope of how many appts she's missed over the weekend that they notify police...and after it is them (the family) who take the initiative to contact JB to see if he's heard from Shannon (wouldn't you expect a husband who's wife has been missing 4 days to be taking some initiative by calling her family/friends to find out if they've seen her?)

And add to this, her car and cell phone are still at home.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/police-search-for-calgary-woman-who-disappeared-a-week-ago

That had to be the same red flag that it was to a lot of us back in the beginning of the case. I think back then a lot of us were going with the "messy divorce" that had been reported in MSM articles and assumed that although they still resided in the same home that they were likely 'separated' and both did their own thing. But now we know why it wasn't JB who was 'concerned' and why he didn't call police to report her missing. Looking back, it all makes perfect sense.

Hard though to believe that nobody heard anything that night/early morning. Or at least not that we've heard about.

Didn't SB also have a dating profile that stated open relationship? Looking back, makes a person wonder if she had in fact been the one to create it...and put down 'open relationship' as relationship status.

I did read in thread #1 of this case, a snippet from a news article in which sister Erin had stated that LE had been in contact with the theatre people Shannon had been with on Wed Nov 26th and those people had told LE what time Shannon had left Edmonton so that that at least gave LE some idea of when she might have been expected to have arrived back in Calgary.

In thread #1 there is mention of a FB post that SB (really her?) made on her FB profile on Nov 26th at 8:15pm stating she was sorry to have missed some event that evening due to getting back to Calgary too late to attend. But who knows if that was really her who had posted that, or maybe him from her acct? (Obviously you'd think LE would know but maybe not if they shared a computer?).
I have often wondered if it was JB that suggested that she may have gone to Toronto or Vancouver as a cover for why he did not notify family or LE sooner. Perhaps he told them that she was planning on pursuing her career in one of those cities as a way to gain some distance from the relationship?

Maybe because JB is obviously not the pillar of truth? Why should we believe anything he says? He has proven to be a liar so why believe him when he said she left the home at a specific time?

We don't know either way, for sure, what time he last saw her alive. As far as I'm concerned, his claim that he last saw her alive at 12:30am on Nov 27th is up there with heresay, and is not any kind of fact. Nobody can corroborate if this is true or not. Most people don't take the word of an accused murdered. While it may be a fact that he told this info to LE/her family, it doesn't make it a fact that he did actually last see her alive at 12:30am, IMO. His credibility was sorta shot due to the fact that he killed her and hid her body for 7 months, I would say. IMO

Um, say what? Go back to the very first thread on this case (Thread #1). Based on the info at that time released by the media, it was reported that that family member to have last seen Shannon was her estranged husband, and that's what we all went off of from the get go......so you're right, we've never questioned if Josh was that family member, we didn't have to..............it was reported clearly from the start that that family member had been Josh.

"The family of a missing Calgary woman hope a public appeal can provide information on her whereabouts.

Missing for a week, family members of 25-year-old Shannon Burgess say the disappearance of the aspiring actress and stand-up comic is out of character.

“It’s completely out of the ordinary,” said Erin Madill, the missing woman’s sister.

“She had all sorts of plans the weekend that she never showed up to — not just obligations, but fun things she was telling us she was looking forward to.”

Burgess was last seen on Nov. 26 by her estranged husband in Calgary".

http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/12/03...-disappearance

I have. It's clear from the first reports that Shannon was last seen at her home at 12:30AM on Nov 27 by her husband. No one ... not a single person on this forum ... has ever questioned whether Josh is the family member who last saw his wife at home that night ... until now. The violins are playing as we once again ponder the plight of poor Josh, and question how the sad little man could be presumed to be the last person to see his wife in the middle of the night at their home.

I think confusion comes because LE and the family were not at all forthcoming about any of the circumstances about her disappearance.

Often in a missing persons announcement, you get a lot of information about what the person had been doing recently, where they were headed, what they were wearing, what kind of mood they were in (eg 'police are concerned about their welfare' is often a code for 'they have been depressed and may be suicidal'), or they say 'this is totally out of character', etc, etc.

In the case of Shannon, it was zippered mouths, all the way, nothing was said about her habits, character, possible scenarios, etc.

And yet there was no hint that they suspected Josh. People on this board very much suspected Josh, and yet family and LE didn't drop the tiniest hint that the disappearance was suspicious. They didn't name him specifically as the last person to see her. The Calgary Sun didn't quote from official sources when they stated he was the last person to see her, it's not the paper of highest repute. They invited him to be with them at the press conference and pleaded for Shannon to come home.

So perhaps LE was acting according to the wishes of the family, who couldn't believe it was possible Josh had done something and thought it was more likely she had left town. They were almost shielding him from suspicion. I remember commenting that he must have offered an explanation to LE and the family what the circumstances were when Shannon left, but we simply didn't know what explanation he gave and no one wanted to share it.

As per my earlier point he is a great manipulator. Fortunately those days are over. Hopefully the Madill family can get out of their denial and see this *advertiser censored* for what he is.

Sent from my SM-G850W using Tapatalk

I think confusion comes because LE and the family were not at all forthcoming about any of the circumstances about her disappearance.

Often in a missing persons announcement, you get a lot of information about what the person had been doing recently, where they were headed, what they were wearing, what kind of mood they were in (eg 'police are concerned about their welfare' is often a code for 'they have been depressed and may be suicidal'), or they say 'this is totally out of character', etc, etc.

In the case of Shannon, it was zippered mouths, all the way, nothing was said about her habits, character, possible scenarios, etc.

And yet there was no hint that they suspected Josh. People on this board very much suspected Josh, and yet family and LE didn't drop the tiniest hint that the disappearance was suspicious. They didn't name him specifically as the last person to see her. The Calgary Sun didn't quote from official sources when they stated he was the last person to see her, it's not the paper of highest repute. They invited him to be with them at the press conference and pleaded for Shannon to come home.

So perhaps LE was acting according to the wishes of the family, who couldn't believe it was possible Josh had done something and thought it was more likely she had left town. They were almost shielding him from suspicion. I remember commenting that he must have offered an explanation to LE and the family what the circumstances were when Shannon left, but we simply didn't know what explanation he gave and no one wanted to share it.

Well said. Coherent posts are much appreciated ;)

I get the impression from what I've read that he is one of those 'strong, silent' types - 'emotionless' is what the 7-11 clerk said. I don't think it's so much that he manipulated anyone, he just didn't betray any emotion, like an ordinary person would who had killed his wife and was living with her body.

I wonder how intensely LE questioned him.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChillThrills
Back