CANADA - shooter in RCMP vehicle & uniform, 22 killed (plus perp), Portapique, NS, 18 April 2020 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

dyannaON

Reaction score
RCMP searching for suspect in active shooter situation in Portapique, N.S.

Police say Gabriel Wortman, 51, is considered armed and dangerous. He is described as a white man, bald, between 6’2” and 6’3” with green eyes.

RCMP say Wortman may be driving what appears to be an RCMP vehicle and appear to be wearing an RCMP uniform.
According to police, the situation in the small community of Portapique is still ongoing and there are several victims.

Police have not said whether any of the victims have died.

Very few details are being released at this time.

Thread #1
Thread #2

Last edited by a moderator:
I just noticed something. I'm attaching a map released a while ago indicating where bodies were found.
upload_2020-5-27_19-16-25.png

These are my notes corresponding to the numbers on the map:
1. Unknown (200 Portapique)
2. John Zahl / Joanne Thomas home
3. Frank Gulenchyn / Dawn Madsen home
4. Jolene Oliver / Aron Tuck / Emily Tuck home
5. Lisa McCully home
6. Jamie Blair / Greg Blair home
7. Unknown ( Orchard Beach Rd and Portapique Crescent)
8. Peter and Joy Bond home

I might be mistaken about 3 and 8. Maybe they should be reversed. But, we have previously speculated that location 7, must be where Corrie Ellison was found, and wondered why his brother said something about walking on the beach. I just notice that the police have location 1 marked as the location of the body. That's the 200 Portapique Beach Road area. Perhaps Corrie was near the beach and the person at location 7 is someone else.

Link to police map: Nova Scotia shooting: A detailed timeline of how the rampage unfolded

I just noticed something. I'm attaching a map released a while ago indicating where bodies were found.
View attachment 248924

These are my notes corresponding to the numbers on the map:
1. Unknown (200 Portapique)
2. John Zahl / Joanne Thomas home
3. Frank Gulenchyn / Dawn Madsen home
4. Jolene Oliver / Aron Tuck / Emily Tuck home
5. Lisa McCully home
6. Jamie Blair / Greg Blair home
7. Unknown ( Orchard Beach Rd and Portapique Crescent)
8. Peter and Joy Bond home

I might be mistaken about 3 and 8. Maybe they should be reversed. But, we have previously speculated that location 7, must be where Corrie Ellison was found, and wondered why his brother said something about walking on the beach. I just notice that the police have location 1 marked as the location of the body. That's the 200 Portapique Beach Road area. Perhaps Corrie was near the beach and the person at location 7 is someone else.

Link to police map: Nova Scotia shooting: A detailed timeline of how the rampage unfolded
I think you do have 3 and 8 reversed, but that is an interesting observation. I wonder if #200 Portapique Beach Rd. actually was a location of a body like they said? I wish the RCMP would give another press conference to make corrections and updates, though I don't believe they will.

So Frank has linked to a holographic will GW wrote in 2011. Not sure if it has been filed in court, or if it is in fact his most recent will. I can only see the first page on Facebook.

His partner is the executrix.

I think you do have 3 and 8 reversed, but that is an interesting observation. I wonder if #200 Portapique Beach Rd. actually was a location of a body like they said? I wish the RCMP would give another press conference to make corrections and updates, though I don't believe they will.

Earlier reports had placed the Bonds as neighbours of the Tuck family, so at location 3 in paganini’s map.

I’m also curious about the seemingly two different stories from Clinton Ellison. In MSM interviews he was so detailed about the events: Corrie going to check the fire, not coming back, Clinton going to check on his brother, finding his dead body, etc. He was evidently still in shock but his account was detailed and specific and he had no evident reason to cover up that he might have been walking together with his brother on the beach. So IMO the police report about them walking together may have been what the reporting officer thought he heard Clinton say but later debriefings would have cleared the actual sequence of events up.

I guess there’s been no location given for the Ellison home to trace the path to 200, but By process of victim elimination Corrie must have been killed while investigating the #200 fire.

My guess is there will be one more PC or News Release announcing if further charges will be laid in connection to this rampage (ie guns). At which time the RCMP will say they have no further comment until the investigation is concluded and the final Report to be released weeks or months away, first to the families/victims and then to the public.

This was the procedure following the two killers who murdered 3 people in BC and then fled to northern Manitoba last summer. As stated, “the RCMP deal only in fact, not speculation” however this left some people disappointed that no real answers or deeper insight into the tragedy was provided. On the other hand, I felt that final report was very respectful towards the victims and family members who were personally impacted, which is far more important than satisfying the curiosity of the general public IMO.

Patience. The GF and the other victims need time to deal with their respective traumas. The authorities have her testimony, so she's done her part.

So, what the authorities need to do, is tell US. The province of Nova Scotia. We live here. We need to understand what we can. You don't need to break confidentiality to explain what happened that night. The GF can be helpful while still remaining invisible.

We don't need statements so heavily redacted that you have no idea what transpired. I agree with the (Halifax Examiner) in this matter.

How can we collectively heal? Yes there are memorials and there were vigils...but still there's been so little actual information. Going to my doctor's office, I have to pass by where the Mountie and Joey Webber were murdered.
I'll never not see that in my mind's eye. Neither will any of the people of Shubenacadie, not ever again. That goes for the people of Portapique, Wentworth and Debert. Give us information so we understand this was something that really shouldn't have happened here. Because we're still afraid. Knowledge brings power.

So, what the authorities need to do, is tell US. The province of Nova Scotia. We live here. We need to understand what we can. You don't need to break confidentiality to explain what happened that night. The GF can be helpful while still remaining invisible.

We don't need statements so heavily redacted that you have no idea what transpired. I agree with the (Halifax Examiner) in this matter.

How can we collectively heal? Yes there are memorials and there were vigils...but still there's been so little actual information. Going to my doctor's office, I have to pass by where the Mountie and Joey Webber were murdered.
I'll never not see that in my mind's eye. Neither will any of the people of Shubenacadie, not ever again. That goes for the people of Portapique, Wentworth and Debert. Give us information so we understand this was something that really shouldn't have happened here. Because we're still afraid. Knowledge brings power.

I can certainly understand your concern but do you think there can ever be a satisfactory explanation about what transpired to explain why he did this? The man had to have been stark-raving mad. Often times even when killers are arrested and plead guilty, they still have no justifiable explanation about what was going on in their head at the time as most often it’s a combination of untreated mental illness, drugs and alcohol. If anyone in this world had figured out why humans continue to kill other humans there’d have been a way to stop it long before now.

IMO this killer is not worthy of yielding so much power and control that even after his death, he’s left an entire province afraid. Your province is filled with kind, good people too. Stay safe.

Driving past some of the murder scenes is traumatic and I'm sorry you and others in the area face that. No amount of info will help us understand the why.

I can certainly understand your concern but do you think there can ever be a satisfactory explanation about what transpired to explain why he did this? The man had to have been stark-raving mad. Often times even when killers are arrested and plead guilty, they still have no justifiable explanation about what was going on in their head at the time as most often it’s a combination of untreated mental illness, drugs and alcohol. If anyone in this world had figured out why humans continue to kill other humans there’d have been a way to stop it long before now.

IMO this killer is not worthy of yielding so much power and control that even after his death, he’s left an entire province afraid. Your province is filled with kind, good people too. Stay safe.

I've always been pro-RCMP, but their bumbling cost many lives, including their officer Cst. Stevenson. She was nothing except heroic, taking on an armed madman with her car, and she died for it. So did poor Joey Webber, just being in the wrong place at the wrong time, and trying to help.
That's what we do here, if someone's in trouble, we help. We run toward burning houses, to car accidents, to floods, to find lost children, to help victims. My earliest memory as a child was of my Grampie stopping at a burning house and carrrying a child out of the fire. This man took that away from us. Will we run toward the next burning house? We will stand and watch? Will we turn our backs, in fear? Will we continue with "It's none of my business" when the next woman is beaten?
I don't want that for my province. I want us to be the kind, helpful, lovely people that most of us are. I grieve for that. For the first time since this tragedy occurred, I cried like a baby writing this. We need more Grampies in this world. (Except Covid's killing them all.)

So, I'd like our Prime Minister and our Premier to call for a public inquiry, and for the RCMP to be held accountable. I guess part of healing, is anger. I was a psychiatric nurse, and understand psychopathy and other mental illnesses, including alcoholism which was my specialty. Most alcoholics don't murder people. They screw up lives, they lose careers and families, they hurt themselves and others, but they can be helped. This man, if truly psychopathic, couldn't have been helped. But he could have been STOPPED. That's what's so terrible. He could have been stopped in Portapique. He wasn't. It's infuriating.

Amoca, I am not a Nova Scotian but am a Canadian and understand what you wrote. Short term, the shock value with continue to resonate when people see trouble. However, I do believe that the basic human kindness that you describe will ultimately wash back over NS. The qualities you describe in your Grampie were not taken from you because they were not the gunman's to take. They belong to everyone and they will come to the fore again. The roadside memorials and tributes are the first tentative steps in this process as people come to observe, to honour, and to renew their quiet determination in all that is good about NS. If no one cared, if no one took flowers or made musical tributes, I'd be worried. That is not the case here. Still waters do indeed run deep.

I've always been pro-RCMP, but their bumbling cost many lives, including their officer Cst. Stevenson. She was nothing except heroic, taking on an armed madman with her car, and she died for it. So did poor Joey Webber, just being in the wrong place at the wrong time, and trying to help.
That's what we do here, if someone's in trouble, we help. We run toward burning houses, to car accidents, to floods, to find lost children, to help victims. My earliest memory as a child was of my Grampie stopping at a burning house and carrrying a child out of the fire. This man took that away from us. Will we run toward the next burning house? We will stand and watch? Will we turn our backs, in fear? Will we continue with "It's none of my business" when the next woman is beaten?
I don't want that for my province. I want us to be the kind, helpful, lovely people that most of us are. I grieve for that. For the first time since this tragedy occurred, I cried like a baby writing this. We need more Grampies in this world. (Except Covid's killing them all.)

So, I'd like our Prime Minister and our Premier to call for a public inquiry, and for the RCMP to be held accountable. I guess part of healing, is anger. I was a psychiatric nurse, and understand psychopathy and other mental illnesses, including alcoholism which was my specialty. Most alcoholics don't murder people. They screw up lives, they lose careers and families, they hurt themselves and others, but they can be helped. This man, if truly psychopathic, couldn't have been helped. But he could have been STOPPED. That's what's so terrible. He could have been stopped in Portapique. He wasn't. It's infuriating.

Survivor's guilt and horror will leave many in your area with a cycling range of emotions for a long while, ya? This is normal. Hopefully you have somebody you can talk to.

Coulda woulda shoulda = nadda. We can't go back in time to reverse the tragedy.

Why not take that anger and funnel it into action like calling/emailing your 3 levels of gov't to push for the public inquiry and RCMP accountability? What do you want to see changed in the system to prevent future mass murders?

I really don’t think you can change who Nova Scotia people are. It will take some time .. it’s been barely 2 months. So hang in there.

Amoca, I am not a Nova Scotian but am a Canadian and understand what you wrote. Short term, the shock value with continue to resonate when people see trouble. However, I do believe that the basic human kindness that you describe will ultimately wash back over NS. The qualities you describe in your Grampie were not taken from you because they were not the gunman's to take. They belong to everyone and they will come to the fore again. The roadside memorials and tributes are the first tentative steps in this process as people come to observe, to honour, and to renew their quiet determination in all that is good about NS. If no one cared, if no one took flowers or made musical tributes, I'd be worried. That is not the case here. Still waters do indeed run deep.

Thank you. Thank you for being kind.

Survivor's guilt and horror will leave many in your area with a cycling range of emotions for a long while, ya? This is normal. Hopefully you have somebody you can talk to.

Coulda woulda shoulda = nadda. We can't go back in time to reverse the tragedy.

Why not take that anger and funnel it into action like calling/emailing your 3 levels of gov't to push for the public inquiry and RCMP accountability? What do you want to see changed in the system to prevent future mass murders?

Trust me, I'm one of those calling for an inquiry, bothering my Premier's office, writing to the County, the Province, and the Feds.
What do I want to see? It never happen again. I don't think outlawing illegal guns will do anything, because they are already illegal, shooter never got illegal firearms through legal channels.
I want to see it a CRIME to impersonate an officer, with fines and jail time. I want to see it illegal to replicate Law Enforcement vehicles, and it illegal to own police memorabilia that's wearable (or at least kept track of somehow). My Dad was an commercial airline Captain for almost 40 years- I have his wings, his epaulettes, his hat pins, but I don't impersonate him and fly planes. (Silly metaphor but it's what I have.)
I don't want to cry in the middle of the day because my apple blossoms are coming out, it's finally spring, and 22 people didn't get to see the magical sight that is spring in Nova Scotia.

Amoca, just so you know those are not just words, they are what I truly believe. I'm glad you found some comfort in them.

When I heard that ambulances and fire trucks were held back because there was a shooter, I could only imagine how they felt not rushing in to do their jobs. Maybe lives could have been saved......or if there was an active shooter or shooters, more could have been lost by sending in unarmed "help". What is/was the correct protocol there? In the dark with vague info and places on fire, how do you know when the area is secure? When do you send alerts out and in what manner? Would misguided reports have overwhelmed the police if people called every time time they saw a police cruiser and thought it was fake? Would that have made the situation worse? Did the police act properly and were overwhelmed by the sheer scale of events?
On an individual basis I would think all first responders acted with bravery and by the book. I hope any inquiry will acknowledge that fact.

Amoca, just so you know those are not just words, they are what I truly believe. I'm glad you found some comfort in them.

When I heard that ambulances and fire trucks were held back because there was a shooter, I could only imagine how they felt not rushing in to do their jobs. Maybe lives could have been saved......or if there was an active shooter or shooters, more could have been lost by sending in unarmed "help". What is/was the correct protocol there? In the dark with vague info and places on fire, how do you know when the area is secure? When do you send alerts out and in what manner? Would misguided reports have overwhelmed the police if people called every time time they saw a police cruiser and thought it was fake? Would that have made the situation worse? Did the police act properly and were overwhelmed by the sheer scale of events?
On an individual basis I would think all first responders acted with bravery and by the book. I hope any inquiry will acknowledge that fact.

It would have been something straight out of Dante's Inferno. All the responders, firefighters, EMS, RCMP, I honestly don't fault the police who were on scene, or coming to it any of them, not one bit.
No one had any frame of reference for this, NO one. Even in war, your guys weren't shooting YOU, right? They weren't dressed like you.

Well, now there tragically is a frame of reference.

I do fault the higher-ups in command, during an active shooter situation, for whatever reason they did not to put out a phone alert. They tweeted instead. They were immediately criticized for it, which they should be. The very next day I believe, someone reported shots fired in Halifax, we bloody well got an alert for that. Then they were criticized for doing that. (So, I know... you cannot win...)

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/ns-gunman-2011-warning-1.5589277

Tip 9 years ago warned that N.S. gunman wanted 'to kill a cop'

“The 2011 bulletin was the second time in less than a year that police had been made aware of Wortman's possibility for violence, the documents revealed.

The bulletin describes how Wortman was investigated for "uttering death threats to his parents" on June 2, 2010. That investigation also included information that he had several guns.

Halifax Regional Police investigated, but closed the file without laying charges, according to its spokesperson.

He said there wasn't enough evidence to lay charges or get search warrants.

In the officer safety bulletin from 2011, Densmore writes that he received information from an unnamed source on May 3 saying that Wortman had "stated he wants to kill a cop" and was upset with how police investigated a break-and-enter complaint he made.

"He believes police did not do their job in relation to this investigation," Densmore wrote.

The tipster told police that Wortman was "under a lot of stress lately" and was starting to have some mental health issues, describing him as "becoming a little squirrelly.".......”

Last edited:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/ns-gunman-2011-warning-1.5589277

Tip 9 years ago warned that N.S. gunman wanted 'to kill a cop'

“The 2011 bulletin was the second time in less than a year that police had been made aware of Wortman's possibility for violence, the documents revealed.

The bulletin describes how Wortman was investigated for "uttering death threats to his parents" on June 2, 2010. That investigation also included information that he had several guns.

Halifax Regional Police investigated, but closed the file without laying charges, according to its spokesperson.

He said there wasn't enough evidence to lay charges or get search warrants.

In the officer safety bulletin from 2011, Densmore writes that he received information from an unnamed source on May 3 saying that Wortman had "stated he wants to kill a cop" and was upset with how police investigated a break-and-enter complaint he made.

"He believes police did not do their job in relation to this investigation," Densmore wrote.

The tipster told police that Wortman was "under a lot of stress lately" and was starting to have some mental health issues, describing him as "becoming a little squirrelly.".......”
It’s interesting to note that the incident involving the death threats to his parents on June 2, 2010, came less than two months after his parents met their “other” son, the one they gave up for adoption at his birth, for the first time (April 9, 2010). I can’t help but think there’s a connection. Had they ever made the shooter aware he had a brother before that meeting? Why wasn’t the shooter there with his parents to meet his brother?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli
Back