CANADA - shooter in RCMP vehicle & uniform, 22 killed (plus perp), Portapique, NS, 18 April 2020 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yes, that seems so unjust and so unkind and uncompassionate.. he was so 'fortunate' to have survived, especially after someone bringing danger directly to his door, when he didn't even really know the couple well at all. And then.. everything everywhere is about the victims who died, and nothing at all about those who survived. You would think as a bare minimum, our government could've purchased the nearby properties if the residents no longer could stomach living there, and as a bare minimum, that our govt could have provided some kind of ongoing financial assistance, if they were unable to function in a job.

That’s a very valid point, iirc there was others who survived but were injured. The mandate of the Red Cross is to “help people and communities in Canada and around the world in times of need and support them in strengthening their resilience.” Whether it be the govt or the Red Cross, if financial assistance to survivors who struggle to get on with their lives is completely overlooked that sends an awful message as it insinuates only if they are dead are they significant. JMO

Maybe that failure has been acknowledged?

From that same link above -
“The issue of supporting survivors is one she raised at the Mass Casualty Commission examining the tragedy.”

That’s a very valid point, iirc there was others who survived but were injured. The mandate of the Red Cross is to “help people and communities in Canada and around the world in times of need and support them in strengthening their resilience.” Whether it be the govt or the Red Cross, if financial assistance to survivors who struggle to get on with their lives is completely overlooked that sends an awful message as it insinuates only if they are dead are they significant. JMO

Maybe that failure has been acknowledged?

From that same link above -
“The issue of supporting survivors is one she raised at the Mass Casualty Commission examining the tragedy.”
Joudry wasn't even 'injured', at least physically.. but he was surely severely impacted. I'm not sure he got any financial supports, and if so, much of any financial support, since I get the impression he was fighting for some kind of compensation because his work benefits were to about to expire soon (but I'm not sure what work benefits he would've had, since I also got the impression he just kind of did his own thing?). It just kinda hit me after listening to him be interviewed, and after reading a bit more about him.. and then seeing photos of all the memorials left for the people who were killed... and all of the services for them, and such.. where did Joudry fit in with all of that? As it is, death can bring about so many different emotions.. but in his case, I can't imagine the realm of emotions.. because.. if he felt angry or left out or whatever, about not receiving enough/any supports, I can imagine he also very likely could've had feelings of guilt for feeling that way, when others close to him had died, unlike himself who was spared. Very awkward position for him. And who knows.. if he ever tried to talk those feelings out with anyone, did they say something like, 'well, at least you're still alive'? Which may have again, made it even worse for his emotions. Too bad (in a way) that we can't see how the monies were distributed. I have horrible feelings myself to deal with in just reading about this stuff, nowhere near the event, knowing nobody related to the event.. I can't imagine the hell of what some were/are going through when they were so close. I remember seeing real estate listings for some properties in that area, going for pennies (exaggeration). I take it from that, that no monetary compensation was given by government to buy up their properties in that section. imo.

Commission criticizes RCMP for incident response:
"Our recommendations call for transformative change, they call for collaboration, they call for leadership," said Michael MacDonald, chair of the Mass Casualty Commission charged with overseeing the independent inquiry into the shooting.

The 3,000-page document outlines 130 recommendations that call for a fundamental change to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) to prevent a similar mass-casualty event from occurring in the future.

It criticises the RCMP for failing to address previous behaviour of the gunman, who was revealed to have been abusing his long-term partner for years.

‘Nova Scotia mass shooting: Ottawa and province announce $18-million mental health plan​

The federal and Nova Scotia governments rolled out an $18-million plan Friday aimed at helping people still suffering from mental health, grief and bereavement challenges three years after the worst mass shooting in Canadian history.​

By Michael MacDonaldThe Canadian Press
Fri., April 28, 2023timer4 min. read

HALIFAX - The federal and Nova Scotia governments rolled out an $18-million plan Friday aimed at helping people still suffering from mental health, grief and bereavement challenges three years after the worst mass shooting in Canadian history.
The announcement was in response to a public inquiry that released its final report last month into the tragedy in northern and central Nova Scotia, where 22 people were shot dead by a man disguised as a Mountie on April 18-19, 2020.
“This is just the beginning,” said Brian Comer, Nova Scotia’s minister responsible for addictions and mental health, who was joined at a news conference via video link by Carolyn Bennett, the federal minister of mental health and addictions. “We know we need to move quickly on this.”’

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli
Back