CANADA - shooter in RCMP vehicle & uniform, 22 killed (plus perp), Portapique, NS, 18 April 2020 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It took me a while over the past week to go through a lot - haven’t done everything. Listening to the audio of the 911 tapes for the two officers (there was only two allowed in due to they didn’t want to risk the lives of officers) that went in .. I can just picture how dangerous it was. Pitch black and heavily wooded. .

It took me a while over the past week to go through a lot - haven’t done everything. Listening to the audio of the 911 tapes for the two officers (there was only two allowed in due to they didn’t want to risk the lives of officers) that went in .. I can just picture how dangerous it was. Pitch black and heavily wooded. .

It was mentioned early on the police thought all of GW’s decommissioned police cars were accounted for so from that they likely concluded he was on foot. I doubt anything could’ve adequately prepared police for the extent of the diabolical planning by the dangerous monster they were faced with.

“In an affidavit sworn on June 3, 2021, RCMP Supt. Darren Campbell said that on the night of April 18, 2020, police learned the killer had purchased three decommissioned police cruisers in recent years, and all three were accounted for early on April 19, 2020. There’s no indication in Campbell's statement that police were aware of the fourth former police vehicle, also a Ford Taurus, that was used by the killer.”
'We were 100 per cent sure.' Mounties mistakenly thought N.S. gunman had shot himself

'He's clearly motivated': RCMP officer feared he was on Portapique killer's hit list after prior run-in | SaltWire
…………“Dorrington’s version of events tells a tale of confusion and of an undermanned, disorganized police response to the massacre.

Before the Portapique shooting the Bible Hill detachment was frequently short-staffed and COVID made things worse. As the tragedy unfolded two officers in his detachment were off because of COVID restrictions and begged to be called in. But that didn't happen, according to Dorrington.

O’Brien was also off at the time due to COVID protocols but took command of the detachment’s response to the emergency crisis.

Dorrington said O’Brien was not qualified to handle immediate action rapid deployment (IARD). He said there was no clear onsite commander and that O’Brien did not have training on active shooter situations.

"We all know that," said Dorrington.

"And the directions being given are contrary to the IARD doctrine. So I’m receiving direction, myself and (partner) Lafferty specifically, from someone who’s not on scene, who’s not on duty and not qualified.” ….”

Chris Wortman, a former Mountie who was the gunman’s uncle, told police soon after the killings in April 2020 that he wasn’t surprised when he learned his nephew, Gabriel Wortman, was responsible for Canada’s worst mass shooting.

“I knew he was always capable of killing somebody or (causing) serious harm,” he told RCMP Sgt. Cory Kilborn during an interview in Invermere, B.C., on April 28, 2020 — nine days after the killings.

Man behind 2020 mass shooting in Nova Scotia came from dysfunctional family: uncle

Chris Wortman, a former Mountie who was the gunman’s uncle, told police soon after the killings in April 2020 that he wasn’t surprised when he learned his nephew, Gabriel Wortman, was responsible for Canada’s worst mass shooting.

“I knew he was always capable of killing somebody or (causing) serious harm,” he told RCMP Sgt. Cory Kilborn during an interview in Invermere, B.C., on April 28, 2020 — nine days after the killings.

Man behind 2020 mass shooting in Nova Scotia came from dysfunctional family: uncle

CW failed as an RCMP officer to intervene and get GW help (he believed GW was a threat to his parents/gf). As a family member, he failed his nephew by knowing he was psychotic, and yet he simply avoided him. As a professional law man, he knew GW was a career criminal but didn't find out until after he retired from the RCMP?

How many other ticking time bombs are out there, with family/friends knowing that they might do something similar? If a LEO can't or won't deal with a dangerous family member, what can the rest of us average people out there be expected to do? Our culture and system need to change so that we can attempt to prevent future tragedies.

CW failed as an RCMP officer to intervene and get GW help (he believed GW was a threat to his parents/gf). As a family member, he failed his nephew by knowing he was psychotic, and yet he simply avoided him. As a professional law man, he knew GW was a career criminal but didn't find out until after he retired from the RCMP?

How many other ticking time bombs are out there, with family/friends knowing that they might do something similar? If a LEO can't or won't deal with a dangerous family member, what can the rest of us average people out there be expected to do? Our culture and system need to change so that we can attempt to prevent future tragedies.

Unfortunately you cannot charge a person that you “think” might do something so no, he didn’t fail as as a police officer. I had this discussion with my former neighbour years ago who was Ottawa police and while she was pregnant was in the domestic abuse squad (there was a better word for it but I forget). Very frustrating for police but you can’t charge them with anything.

Unfortunately you cannot charge a person that you “think” might do something so no, he didn’t fail as as a police officer. I had this discussion with my former neighbour years ago who was Ottawa police and while she was pregnant was in the domestic abuse squad (there was a better word for it but I forget). Very frustrating for police but you can’t charge them with anything.

I didn't say anything about charging him with regards to DV; I referred to intervention, which police do initiate. eta: Do we know if LE were contacted when GW beat he father? There was a record for his assault of the teenager outside his dental office.

Last edited:
I didn't say anything about charging him with regards to DV; I referred to intervention, which police do initiate. eta: Do we know if LE were contacted when GW beat he father? There was a record for his assault of the teenager outside his dental office.

IIRC the incident with the father occurred as a tourist in a foreign country while vacationing? The real problem is if someone isn’t cooperative in agreement with mental health treatment then intervention won’t be successful and a short prison stint certainly wouldn’t be helpful either. I’d be surprised if a large percentage of the population isn’t aware of someone who has the potential to go off the rails and much like the uncle, most of us stay away to be sure not to antagonize them.

By earlier reports, the shooter appeared have got himself fired up over nonsensical conspiracy theories and it seems that’s becoming a common theme in recent violent incidents. But in Canada as we have the Charter of Rights which includes Freedom of thoughts, belief, expression and opinion he had the right to believe whatever he wanted, unfortunately.

JMO

One problem, I think, is that we only know about when 'the system' fails. We know nothing about when the system succeeds. How many potentially homicidal maniacs have been dissauded from committing apocalyptic destruction? We have no idea.

Also, in this case, the perp massively disrespected his own father, his spouse, his police officer Uncle, so who would he have respected enough to listen to when told "You don't have a problem: you are the problem". Some social worker, some psychologist? This guy was extremely arrogant, I can't see how he would have paid the slightest attention, much less had a light bulb moment 'Oh, you mean I'm mentally ill. Gee, I never thought of that, but you're right!'

JMO

While most people who saw or knew about the replica police car accepted GW's explanation, at least 2 who knew about it discussed reporting it to police. Heartbreaking to read that Aaron Tuck and his friend did not report it because he was afraid of retaliation from Wortman.

In his statement to the RCMP on April 28, 2020, R___M_____, a friend of one of the killer's victims, Aaron Tuck, said he and Tuck discussed the decommissioned replica RCMP cruiser and he talked to Tuck about calling Crime Stoppers to report it. The commission's summary says, "Mr. Tuck said he could not report it as the perpetrator had threatened him." [I shortened friend's name to initials.]

Many knew of N.S. killer's replica RCMP patrol car but didn't report to police

I think a lot about the traumatized survivors and family and friends of the victims, but the first responders are also traumatized. I hope the Mass Casualty Commission provides recommendations for improving law enforcement coordination and clarifying roles. And I wish peace for everyone who did their jobs that night/day to the best of their abilities. They are dealing with the incredible post-traumatic stress.

Questioning his decisions, RCMP supervisor during N.S. mass shooting took 16-month leave afterward | The Province

I find it really, really sad. Most of the families are fixated on the rcmp/politicians/government involved in a huge conspiracy.

I was watching the proceedings today and Mr. O’Brien had a huge outburst off screen .. but you could hear him .

There has been huge trauma to these families. But sadly, Mrs. O’Brien was shot in the portal vein to the heart and in the head close to the brain stem . Not survivable at all .. but they believe she was alive and not helped for several hours later. Just so, so heartbreaking .

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli
Back